Any Advice? Guar Cabin Selection: Veendam

traveler1980

We are looking to book a Guarantee Inside on the Veendam, but am looking for some advice on what category to book. It is really between a K and an MM. Prices are very similar, but there are significantly less MM cabins than K cabins on board. Would that mean we would be more likely to be upgraded when booking a category MM since there is less cabins available? Any advice? The cruise is still 10 months out. We have taken one previous HAL cruise and were upgraded from an NN Inside Guarantee to a obstructed outside GG.

Most of the cruise lines that use multiple levels often have very few of those on the bottom and sell them as guarantees. For example, Princess may have just 4 cabins in the N category but will sell 50 cabins as guaranteed N. Most of those guarantees are giving something from the inside cabins in other categories.

The reasoning is simple, each person in guarantee represents a room that they can leave available for those who are particular about their rooms. It lets them fill the ship with those who aren't particular.

I believe that your chances of an upgrade from an MM cabin are quite good, for the reasons Ephraim just gave. Someone will eventually end up assigned to the MMs on a sold-out ship (as most are) but if you book 8 months out it won't likely be you IMO. But, your upgrade could be only to an M.

We booked an MM Guarantee on the Veendam this last February. We were assigned a J class Interior (#359). It was a nice room, great location in the middle of the ship. The Veendam is still my favorite ship - small and elegant. Enjoy!

Book the K. That will give you a better chance for a higher upgrade and will guarantee you get nothing lower than a K. We book guarantees and we always book the highest category that has a similar or even somewhat higher price.

4 weeks before the cruise as I was getting cold feet. I was afraid I would actually get a dreadful nn cabin, or a cabin way at the end of the ship.

I booked the NN guar for $700pp and for $49 pp switched to a well placed Cat J on the lower promenade deck. I have no regrets as I am traveling with my 80y/o father and it cuts down on his walking as well as gives him access to the lower prom deck to smoke his cigars

Other people seem to have luck with the guarantees, if it was me and my husband or a friend I would have stayed with the guarantee( it was the only inside cabin option at the time I booked)

Thank you for the advice so far. I only wish we could discuss travel agencies on this website. I fiind that a major downfall of the site. Can anyone tell me if inside cabins have any furniture in them besides the bed? I was wondering about a chair or couch to sit on. Thanks!

We sailed on Veendam in November 2005. We had initially booked a Category MM but were upgraded to a K. Yes a K cabin does have a small sofa...really more of a loveseat along with a small coffee table. Can't remember about the fridge or not as we had no reason to use one. We had been given 3 bottles of wine from our TA and had a wonderful cabin steward who kept a bottle iced for us in an ice bucket, so maybe it didn't.

Anyhoo you will love Veendam. Smaller than a lot of ships nowadays, but IMO well maintained and we'll be sailing her again to Alaska next year!

Veendam will not have a fridge in an inside - sorry. No fridge in less than a balcony cabin.

I always book the lowest category guarantee I'd be happy with. I really like the "K's" (K548 is amazing!). Fairly good chance of upgrade to obstructed view cabin.

You may rent a refrigerator if it's important to you.

When booking a guaranteed cabin, you are accepting that you may get the cabin no one else wanted in the category you booked, i.e. the cabin you paid for. If this is going to impact your enjoyment of your cruise, it is best to take control now and book a specific cabin or minimum cabin grade that will satisfy you.

Archived