Why Bermuda

Peelboy

I would like to listen to advice why I may pick a cruise to Bermuda. I am thinking an NCL cruise from Boston in October 2016.

I have done mainly Caribbean cruises - east, west and south, on different cruise lines. I never participate in any ship sponsored excursion. On every port day, I will spend $10-$15 to join some local vans to take me for a ride for a few hours and thereafter spends the rest of the day on a beach - which to me is very affordable.

I will have usually four different ports. For Bermuda cruise, there is only one port. Will I become bored? Is there sufficient to do? Bermuda cruises are more expensive than Caribbean cruises, and ships in general are older.

How is NCL Dawn? Is October a good time to visit Bermuda?

Bermuda is beautiful. There are so many beaches it is hard to choose. Lots of snorkeling, beautiful vistas, caves to explore, botanical garden, golf courses. People are polite and friendly, no begging on the beaches. Busses and ferries are easy to use, you certainly can get taxis to take you on a tour and leave you at a beach. The Dockyard has nice shops, good restaurants, museums, old buildings.

October is a little late for guaranteed warm weather, bit should be in the 70's.

I like to go to Bermuda because the people are helpful and genuinely friendly, the island is clean, the beaches are beautiful, there is much to see and do beside the beaches, and the island is not a tourist trap. I've never been approached by a panhandler, and have never seen a street vendor. I feel safe when out & about.

You are made to feel as a welcome guest in their home, not someone who is just to be tolerated.

There is a "to do" list located here which should keep you busy for your entire stay in Bermuda

SBtS

Over the years my wife and I have been privileged to spend approximately a month on Bermuda. We always tell people that it a little slice of old England with better weather. The island is very civilized, polite, and does not have the third world feeling that many of the Caribbean islands have if you venture outside of the port area. I am not a golf player, but friends of mine that are tell me that Bermuda courses are considered to be very good places to play.

I hope you will try it for yourself, I don't believe you will regret the choice. Happy Cruising Bob and Linda

Over the past 30 or so years, we've cruised to Bermuda at least 20 times. We were on the "Summit" last year and next up is "Veendam" out of Boston in June. We really like both lines/ships but MUCH prefer docking in Hamilton. For us, we don't have to fly to the ship, 3 or 4 days in Bermuda is great for seeing and experiencing something different every day. Public transport (ferries and buses) are easy and convenient, beaches are beautiful, no rushing to get back to the ship by 5PM for sailaway, get on and off 24/7, experience some nightlife (albeit minimal) ashore, and if you want to "chill" on the ship one afternoon whilst everyone else is off, it peaceful and relaxing.

My wife and I will be cruising to Bermuda in August on the Summit.This will be our 16th trip to Bermuda.Bermuda is one of our favorite places.The people are friendly,it's relatively safe,beautiful beaches and great golf,many historical buildings and forts.

Tom

Thank you everyone. I have booked NCL Dawn for October. Do you return to the ship for lunch and dinner and then go back ashore?

It all depends on where you are at lunch time. If I were at the Dockyard at lunch time, I would certainly consider going back to the ship. If I were anywhere else, I would eat locally, if available. Otherwise, you will be spending too much of your limited time on buses and ferries or too much money on taxis. For dinner, I would schedule the late seating in the MDR or anytime dining

SBtS

Bermuda is my favorite cruise itinerary for a number of reasons: 1) it's nice to have two overnights in port (less hurry to see everything), 2) the people of Bermuda are extremely friendly, 3) the bus and ferry system is easy to navigate so you can handle your own excursions (#1 helps here too).

I actually love the Dawn, although I know many do not. It's a smaller, older ship. Pros: nice staff (at least when I was there), didn't feel as crowded as the breakaway, the ship amenities were good enough for us (we liked the shows and bars on this ship, and we bought a spa pass which was very relaxing). Cons: pool area is small, the ship is older (though it will be out of dry dock by the time you get on!!), the ship doesnt have slides/ropes course etc.

We liked the ship/itinerary enough that in September we're back for a 3rd cruise on her. We did the breakaway in 2014 but just didn't jive with the largeness of that ship (though the slides were kinda fun). Plus we live near Boston so the Dawn is a short ride for us!

• 3 weeks later...

Bermuda is unique bc u have three full days there. We take the breakaway out of nyc. There's so much to do in Bermuda that it would take you four or five cruises of three days each to see it all. We purchase the three day transportation pass and tour the island on our own. No reason to purchase excursions through the ship. Spend one day up in st George's and another in Hamilton with a beach each day. We use the ferries and buses. Been going to Bermuda for 40 years. Totally unlike the Carribbean islands. Very expensive and fancier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app