Vaccinations?

tbmrt

Called my doctor, insurance company, health dept, etc today...Trying to decide which vaccinations we need when going on Fathom in May.

I usually don't get too crazy about getting shots for our other cruises, but since we'll be doing concrete floors over dirt floors and going into more remote areas, I think we should get at least Hep A and tetanus booster.

CDC recommends lots of shots for D.R. travel, but from what I'm reading many of them are "overkill" and not needed.

Would appreciate others' thoughts on this.

Tx

I am not a doctor, but even if not traveling out of the country I'd keep my tetanus up to date, and strongly consider the Hep A if I weren't already vaccinated.

We had an small outbreak of Hep A here on the east coast traced to strawberries at a smoothie chain this summer.

For the others, I don't think any of us know enough about where exactly you are going, the conditions there at the time you will be there, or your own medical history to give any meaningful advice.

Thanks for advice. I am seeing my doctor about this, but think it will be Hep A & Tetanus as you mentioned, Peppergal.

We will be going to Puerto Plata, teaching English to locals, helping to build a concrete floor for them, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

My doctor recommended Hep A and tetanus. Hep A is widespread in the caribbean but it's something you can contract locally as well. He said the others weren't really necessary, but do bring bug spray since the majority of other illnesses are from Mosquitos.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app