Rome to London Flight

NewCruiserMPC

DH and I are planning to spend a few days in Rome post cruise and then heading to London for the remainder of our trip.

We will be staying somewhere city center and would like to take an early flight into London on a Tuesday morning so we arrive before 10am. Is this do-able as far as availability of transportation to the airport?

I found a flight that leaves around 7:50am from FCO but don't want to book it if we are going to have a hard time finding a taxi or other transportation to get us there that early. How long is the drive to the airport from City Center?

Also, not sure where we are staying at yet in London but would like to know if its better to fly into Heathrow or Gatwick? This might be a question for another board though.

I've had many early departures from Rome.

It's not a problem -- ask your hotel to arrange a taxi for you at whatever time you want to leave.

In the early morning with little traffic, the drive shouldn't be longer than half an hour to FCO from the centro storico in Rome.

If you are going to London, you will be much better off going in to London City airport (LCY). I've just looked on kayak and there is an Alitalia flight on a Tuesday in May that leaves 0855 and arrives 1020 (remember, we are 1 hour behind mainland Europe) for £65 (about $100) each. There may be other flights too. The Docklands Light railway serves LCY and connects with the tube. It is a much quieter airport and you could be anywhere in London instead of still standing in the immigration queue at Heathrow!! Check it out for yourself.

Simon

DH and I are planning to spend a few days in Rome post cruise and then heading to London for the remainder of our trip.

We will be staying somewhere city center and would like to take an early flight into London on a Tuesday morning so we arrive before 10am. Is this do-able as far as availability of transportation to the airport?

I found a flight that leaves around 7:50am from FCO but don't want to book it if we are going to have a hard time finding a taxi or other transportation to get us there that early. How long is the drive to the airport from City Center?

Also, not sure where we are staying at yet in London but would like to know if its better to fly into Heathrow or Gatwick? This might be a question for another board though.

LCY airport is the easiest; as already mentioned. Depending on where you're staying in London, LHR is a tiny bit closer to the city, but there's good rail connections from both LHR and LGW, so I wouldn't let it concern me.

Also to get to FCO, there is a train direct from Termini called the Leonardo, or regional trains leaving Roma Ostiense or Roma Trastevere that go straigh to the airport

Also to get to FCO, there is a train direct from Termini called the Leonardo, or regional trains leaving Roma Ostiense or Roma Trastevere that go straigh to the airport

Since the OP wants to take an early flight, it's worth noting that the Leonardo Express doesn't start running until 5:52 am and takes about half an hour to reach the airport.

So, for a flight to London -- assuming you want to be at the airport two hours in advance, the flight couldn't depart earlier than 8:30 am.

Not sure when the regional trains start running.