Touring Maui.

CarnieAddict

We've done it in the opposite direction ... it's a very narrow, winding road, with some portions of it having drop-off cliffs next to the road on one side and rock walls on the other. In the direction that you mention, you would have the cliffs on your right hand side, so it's a little scarier going in that direction. After doing it once, I wouldn't do it again as there are much better roads for scenic drives on the island, but some people don't mind the drive. If you are thinking of going that way because it looks shorter ... it would actually take longer because of the road conditions.

We've done it in the opposite direction ... it's a very narrow, winding road, with some portions of it having drop-off cliffs next to the road on one side and rock walls on the other. In the direction that you mention, you would have the cliffs on your right hand side, so it's a little scarier going in that direction. After doing it once, I wouldn't do it again as there are much better roads for scenic drives on the island, but some people don't mind the drive. If you are thinking of going that way because it looks shorter ... it would actually take longer because of the road conditions.

Just looking for a scenic route to Napili for snorkelling. Maybe save that way for the way back. Any suggestions on where to go?

I agree with Susan & instead of taking 45 minutes on the main 2-lane road expect it to take twice as long. The narrow portion that Susan so accurately described near the small town of Kahakuloa makes the road to Hana look like a superhighway. It's so narrow that when two cars approach each other one of them may have to back up to one of the small turnouts to let the other one pass. If that happens the vehicle code requires the downhill vehicle to back up to give way to the car traveling uphill.

Many tourists stop at the blowhole along the route & walk to it but do not leave anything of value in your car or put it in the trunk when parking. Every time I've been there's always broken car window glass on the ground so car burglaries are not unusual there. Once an international visitor left their camera equipment and passports on the backseat and returned to see a shattered window with their items missing. :(

Honolua Bay located on the north end of Kapalua can be an exceptional location to snorkel or dive. Recently there's been a lot of rain in the West Maui Mountains & that runoff can end up in Honolua Bay making the conditions cloudy & less than perfect. Also parking on the side of the road is very limited and is another spot known for car burglaries.

I've never snorkeled or dived at Napili Bay but know people who have enjoyed it although it's another spot where parking is limited.

On the north end of Ka'anapali Beach is a lava point known as Black Rock which when the conditions are good can be a good snorkeling or diving location. If the red flag is out I strongly recommend heeding that warning because I know the current around that point can be quite treacherous. There is a paid parking lot adjacent to the Sheraton Hotel were Black Rock is located. There's a larger paid parking lot in the middle of Ka'anapali Beach but it's about a 15 minute walk to Black Rock. If you eat at restaurants in Whalers Village shopping center many of them validate for two hours of free parking. Hula Grill's Barefoot Bar across from the beach is a fun spot to dine seated in the sand at tables with meals costing in the $10-$15 range & sometimes has live entertainment. :)

County Road 340 (Kahekili Hwy) to 30 is better than the road to Hana as far as beautiful unobstructed scenery is concerned. It is a narrower road than the RTH but the views are far better. It is not for nervous / non confident drivers however. Meeting oncoming traffic can be a little difficult and the locals get short tempered with incompetent drivers on this road. Like anywhere else in the world people going to or from work don't like to share the road with out of town sightseers but if you are respectful (pulling off at the pull offs for a pic or two) and don't stop in the middle of the road for a photo you will really enjoy this stretch of road.

Be sure to stop by the Turnbull Studios and Sculpture Garden to see some excellent Maui workmanship.

Meeting oncoming traffic can be a little difficult and the locals get short tempered with incompetent drivers on this road.

Yes, meeting on-coming traffic when the road isn't wide enough for two cars is one of the problems. Also, I think very few tourists would have experience driving on a road like this ... really, how many people are used to driving on winding, narrow roads with numerous blind curves, drop off cliffs on one side and rock walls on the other? If you are used to that, then no problem driving this road ... but if you aren't then you'll likely be considered one of the incompetent drivers that the locals aren't too fond of.

To the OP ... since you'll be there in January I'd consider going to S. Maui instead of W. Maui for snorkelling. You might be OK in W. Maui, but at that time of year it's typically better in S. Maui for ocean conditions. #10 on this map is often recommended.

If you have access to the internet on board the ship, this is a good site to check the weather forecast for various areas of the island. If you have a 'plan B' on the list, it's easy to make a change if the weather doesn't look good for 'plan A'.

Thanks for the advice. We aren't strong shopkeepers. So we will probably head to south Maui. Any suggestions on where to stop along the south?

Ulua Beach in Wailea has good snorkeling & a very popular spot with free parking, toilets & outdoor showers. About 1/4 mile from there are the Shops at Wailea but no takeout places to eat & only sit down restaurants. If the lot is full you can drive further south along the resort hotels with parking at Wailea Beach & also at Polo Beach. I think that Ulua has better snorkeling & where many receive scuba diving instruction.

I'd suggest to go to the Maui Dive Shop website which has a downloadable brochure with info on snorkeling/diving locations towards the end of it.

http://www.mauidiveshop.com/Maui-Dive-Surf/files/index.html

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks for the advice. We aren't strong shopkeepers. So we will probably head to south Maui. Any suggestions on where to stop along the south?

I think that was an autocorrect and you meant 'snorkelers'?:)

Kamaole I beach has some easy snorkelling at the south end of the beach ... and I think there is a lifeguard posted there, so you could ask about conditions before going in.

Wailea Beach is worth stopping at because it's such a beautiful beach (snorkelling here can be a bit tricky depending on the water conditions, but it's a wonderful swimming beach)... I also like to take a stroll around the grounds of the Grand Wailea Hotel when I go to Wailea Beach. Public beach parking (free) is a short ways past the Grand Wailea Hotel.

Be sure to go all the way south to La Perouse Bay (not good for beginner snorkelers, but a very interesting drive through a lava field from Haleakala's latest eruption (estimated to be in the late 1700's).

Maybe 'Turtle Town'? - Maluaka Beach.

I often see snorkeling boats just off the reef at the south end of Maluaka Beach that advertise going to "Turtle Town". I think that's the primary location referred to as Turtle Town although there is another one in West Maui also. I always take friends to see turtles at Maluaka & they always see several turtles.

Reading the Maui News there is a story about a campaign to inform tourists about how to safely snorkel. Too many are uninformed & too many drown particularly those foolish enough to go alone. It's not an ocean aquarium or pool but too many ignore the conditions & end up in trouble. They want to show a video on incoming flights however they have to pay the airlines to do that and it's quite expensive. They're going to try to show a video at baggage claim in an effort to enlighten tourists on how to safely snorkel.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Ulua Beach in Wailea has good snorkeling & a very popular spot with free parking, toilets & outdoor showers. About 1/4 mile from there are the Shops at Wailea but no takeout places to eat & only sit down restaurants. If the lot is full you can drive further south along the resort hotels with parking at Wailea Beach & also at Polo Beach. I think that Ulua has better snorkeling & where many receive scuba diving instruction.

I'd suggest to go to the Maui Dive Shop website which has a downloadable brochure with info on snorkeling/diving locations towards the end of it.

http://www.mauidiveshop.com/Maui-Dive-Surf/files/index.html

Across from/near the Marriott resort is an excellent pizza place.

Across from/near the Marriott resort is an excellent pizza place.

Mahalo...never tried that pizza restaurant but have driven past it many times on Waikea Iki near the Shops at Wailea. The coffee shop along the beachfront walk between the Wailea Beach Villas & the Marriott now has pizza.

The Irish restaurant & pub "Mulligans on the Blue" near the Kea Lani hotel is a fun place to eat or have a drink.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I wonder if there is a hotline for surf conditions.

You can view surf & other conditions (dive & snorkel, kiteboarding/windsurfing, beaches) at the best site I've found for current Hawaii weather and monthly trends...Hawaii Weather Today. Glenn James is a Maui based meteorologist who has taught meteorology.

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/surfing/

Edited by Astro Flyer