New Ocean Princess Itinerary change for Africa

ibfern

We had Alexandria (for Cairo) removed from our 2011 "Egypt and Aegean" cruise and ten reinstated just a couple of months prior to the cruise. We got in and out and soon after Egypt was again not being visited.

A) A number of passengers cancelled when Egypt was dropped for an alternate itinerary

B) There were a number of booking from people who liked the new itinerary

C) When Egypt was reinstated, it was after final payment time and a number of passengers who had booked for the alternate itinerary were upset. They could not go to the ports they had wanted and would have to pay a big penalty to cancel.

D) Ship sailed only about 75% full

E) Egypt was safe and everyone enjoyed their tours there

I cancelled the September 2015 sailing, and did so for several reasons:

1. The principal purpose in undertaking a cruise that would not have easy ports of call was to get to see places I had never seen nor would be likely to see, and that were exotic. The West African ports fulfilled that, the various European replacements did not.

2. An African cruise that did not touch the continent between Morocco and Angola did not seem "worth it" to me.

3. I figure that either Ebola will be contained, in which case some of these ports will be restored on future voyages (assuming Princess keeps the small ships) or it won't, in which case there will be ample reason for avoiding the area. I lose nothing by waiting.

4. As I am booked on the 50th anniversary cruise, I would have had to get from Rome to Los Angeles on a next-day basis. I ran Expedia searches for the analogous date this year and I wasn't happy at what I was seeing.

5. This is a very pricey cruise, if you go Dover to Rome or FLL. Short of the world cruises, it's one of the most expensive offered. I won't go on it unless I feel certain I am getting my utter money's worth. Lisbon instead of Dakar doesn't cut it.

Edited by Wehwalt

I think no matter what Princess decides people wont be happy.

Risk management is probably telling them to change now. There are people cancelling cruises for fear of Ebola and it really doe not make sense for them to continue on with a cruise that will have booked cruisers cancelling either now or in the future... its a gamble and the company is not willing to have an empty ship should their crystal ball be wrong.

The change does give the customers plenty of time to cancel and book something else. There has been so much conversation about the cruise industry getting hit with cancellations and honestly the Stock Holders expect the companies to make financial decisions that will at least hold the value of the stock. Once all this stuff is past us, I am sure there will be more trips planned.

It appears there are mass cancellations after the announcement of the new itinerary. Including my wife and me, I know of three others who have cancelled in my small circle.

It totally understand why Princess did this now and appreciated them being proactive. Once people begin to make independent air arrangements, cancellations become very expensive, especially between two divergent locations as London and Capetown.

It appears there are mass cancellations after the announcement of the new itinerary. Including my wife and me, I know of three others who have cancelled in my small circle.

It totally understand why Princess did this now and appreciated them being proactive. Once people begin to make independent air arrangements, cancellations become very expensive, especially between two divergent locations as London and Capetown.

We are only six months to May. Probably people already had made arrangements, especially those involving business class and frequent flyer miles.

Not a surprise since the now bypassed ports were a major part of the cruise.

And it would not be a surprise if the ship does sell with a number of unsold cabins since the new itinerary is uninspiring to many and not worth the price being asked.

However, Princess is not responsible for Ebola outbreaks or for the fact there are not sufficient safe and developed alternate ports on that side of the continent.

I received an email from friends saying they are not going either on the September itinerary, which has gone from a profit spinner for Princess to a trip they'd maybe not take.

I wonder if they'll cancel Africa and send the Ocean Princess to the Med.

The next itinerary for the Ocean Princess on October 28, 2015 is from Capetown to Rome, so unless that cruise is scrapped, the ship needs to be in Capetown. We also cancelled that leg too.

The next itinerary for the Ocean Princess on October 28, 2015 is from Capetown to Rome, so unless that cruise is scrapped, the ship needs to be in Capetown. We also cancelled that leg too.

As did I. But they could run one more Baltic cruise on September 22, then escape south via Dover to the Med until Dec 2, when they do the transatlantic to FLL. About time for four two-week cruises in the Med. Say an Iberian as it repositions from Dover, and three of the usual fare it does in the Med.