48 Hour Cancellation Policy for Shore Excursions in Alaska - Royal Caribbean

knittinggirl

We just returned from Alaska on Royal Caribbean. They had a 48 hour cancellation policy, and we ended up eating $199 because the shore excursion office was closed in Ketchikan.

Do all the cruise lines have this 48 hour cancellation policy in Alaska?

This is the first we've encountered this in six trips to Alaska.

Our Carnival excursions (in the Caribbean) have to be cancelled at least three days prior to embarking.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Our Carnival excursions (in the Caribbean) have to be cancelled at least three days prior to embarking.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Royal Caribbean also has a similar policy before sail date. But I'm talking about the onboard policy. Usually, it's 24 hours (or embarkation day) for cancelling onboard. But w/ Alaska July 2017, they had a 48 hour cancellation policy for onboard.

The 48hr on board cancellation policy is relatively new and as I understand it, is across the whole RC fleet.

Weren't guest services able to help if the shore excursion desk was closed?

They said to go to medical, since it was for medical release. On the other time, shore ex simply got authorization and handled it.

I didn't want to spend $150 in Medical.

And just for the sake of others that may be reading this, the cancellation deadline for some excursions is 30 days. The text below is from an RCCL email I received today in reference to AK sailings.

TERMS & CONDITIONS*Tours involving flights, trains, special events, overnight stays, hotel stays and Private Journeys must be cancelled 30 days prior to sailing to avoid cancellation penalties. Other restrictions may apply.