Anyone did a fishing excursion this summer in Ketchikan?

TBOTZON

We were not sure if it would be worth it (especially if the fishing has not been good) to do a fishing excursion early August. We are only in port from 6:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. I had read reviews that doing the paper work for the license and then the time it takes to get where you need to fish can really take away from the time you have to actually fish. Anyone have any thoughts?

Some of our group did. They only caught a halibut a piece but had a good time. We were there 7 -2 so they took a 4 hour trip. They had enough time on the water. They had wonderful bald eagle sightings.

you can purchase your license in advance online

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/Store/

and specify the date you wish it to be active.

as far as worth it, you need to decide if you are a fisherman that enjoys the experience or a meater that has to bring something (anything) back to show your buddies. August isn't bad for fishing as the coho are starting to congregate to move into freshwater and halibut are moving into more shallow waters to feed on the pink and chum carcasses washing out from spawning streams

you can purchase your license in advance online

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/Store/

and specify the date you wish it to be active.

as far as worth it, you need to decide if you are a fisherman that enjoys the experience or a meater that has to bring something (anything) back to show your buddies. August isn't bad for fishing as the coho are starting to congregate to move into freshwater and halibut are moving into more shallow waters to feed on the pink and chum carcasses washing out from spawning streams

Do you know any areas in the 3 ports - I'm stopping at (Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway) where we can bring a rod and do our own thing, off the shore or a body of fresh water a short ways away) We do a lot of river and still water lake fishing here in British Columbia, so weren't interested in going out into the ocean on a tour.... we do catch and release generally, so not worried about bringing it home... Any info would be awesome... thanks :)

Do you know any areas in the 3 ports - I'm stopping at (Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway) where we can bring a rod and do our own thing, off the shore or a body of fresh water a short ways away) We do a lot of river and clear.png?emoji-smile-1742still water lake fishing here in British Columbia, so weren't interested in going out into the ocean on a tour.... we do catch and release generally, so not worried about bringing it home... Any info would be awesome... thanks :)

We also would be bringing our own rods with us, as we are driving to Seattle and getting on there, so no airline restrictions :D

We also would be bringing our own rods with us, as we are driving to Seattle and getting on there, so no airline restrictions :D

Are you sure foreigners are allowed to bring fishing rods of death into the new USA?? I don't do emoticons so pretend you see me giving you a wink and a wry smile ......

I have been in Skagway after a heavy rain when the pinks were moving upstream using the roadside drainage ditches. Probably not the experience or Kodak moment you're looking for.

Hooray for bank fisherpersons, I came here to cast and fish, not to listen to your boat motor.

Your best stream bank fishing is going to be where a stream enters saltwater. We have tides .... best fishing will be on a rising tide, not a falling tide. But you fish when you can fish. Rig your gear light for Dolly Varden or Cuthroat Trout but if you slam a salmon, don't set the drag too tight and let the fun begin.

The streams in Juneau I know about are Cowee Creek, Salmon Creek, and Montana Creek.You'll need your own transportation.

In Ketchikan i've been to Ward Lake

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=ByAreaSoutheastKetchikan.fishingOpps&fishery=Ward+Lake/Creek+Roadside+Fishery

I've been told about bank fishing on Ketchikan Cr (the creek that is along Creek Street) but I've no experience. I was told that there had been an entrepreneur selling licenses and renting poles. Best info at http://visit-ketchikan.com/

Are you sure foreigners are allowed to bring fishing rods of death into the new USA?? I don't do emoticons so pretend you see me giving you a wink and a wry smile ......

Hooray for bank fisherpersons, I came here to cast and fish, not to listen to your boat motor.

Lol since we do catch and release I'm thinking they will probably not classify them "rods of death" at the border crossing ;p

Thanks for all this info it's awesome! Do you know/have any info on any lakes were we could rent all small boat and Chironomid fish?