parking at the pier in New Orleans ?

luv2vacation

I haven't cruised from NO in quite some time. The last time was well before Hurricane Katrina. At that time if you parked your car at the pier the parking attendant would take your car keys and keep them while you were on your cruise. They would move all the cars as close as possible together to make extra space. It wasn't easy when you returned because you couldn't be sure where you car was or if it would be blocked in by other cars. I wasn't comfortable with leaving my car keys with a stranger so I chose the Fulton St garage.

Is this still the case at the port or can you now park your own vehicle, take your keys and be sure it is where you left it upon your return? I would prefer the ease of parking at the port and avoiding the shuttle if possible. Thanks!

We cruised out of there about 3 yrs ago. Parking is easy in the garage. Show your cruise ticket and pay in advance. I think it is $16.00 day. You take your keys with you. We had no problem leaving our vehicle there for a week. Good web site at portno.com, go into cruises/parking etc.... Have fun and don't worry about your vehicle.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like they have built a parking garage at the pier now. The last time I sailed from NO there was just a flat uncovered parking lot. They jammed cars into it as tightly as possible using the parking spaces as well as the lanes used to find your spot. After boarding the ship I took a good look at the lot and was so glad I didn't leave my car there. The folks that got there early and parked in a spot had cars parked behind them blocking them in. You had to leave your keys in case someone needed out and the attendant would have to move your car.

Archived