Luggage Tracker/Tracer

Smiles3usa

Has anybody used the TrakDot luggage tracker or a similar type item? If so, how did it work? Would you recommend it?

I have a scheduled 23.5 hour layover in Istanbul before arriving in Rome for a 2 day pre-cruise stay. My understanding is that we will only have access to our carry-on while in Istanbul and will pick up our luggage in Rome. Since our luggage will be out of our hands for such a long time, I am wondering whether I should pick up some type of luggage tracker/tracer. I’m curious what other folks experiences has been using the tracker/tracer and whether it is a worthwhile item to purchase.

Thanks.

Unless you really don't want to worry about your bags for that time, I would just ask them to check it to Istanbul and have you collect it there and re-check it the next day to Rome. Most airlines will do this on a connection like that - sometimes they will offer, other times you may have to ask. I usually prefer to have my bag for a layover that long, but you may not want to worry about it.

Otherwise, I've never heard of this but took a quick look and appears to be $50 for the unit + $20 for a year subscription. For one 23-hour layover, that sounds like a waste of money to me, since odds are your bag will be just fine sitting at IST airport, but if you feel that it's worth it, I will leave it up to someone else who has actually used it to weigh in on that aspect.

Finally, it appears to operate via SmartPhone or their website - you log-in and it shows you a map of where your bag (or at least the tracker ;)) is. Will you have access to a computer or smartphone/iPad with Internet during that layover to check it regularly? And is that something you want to spend your time doing - checking on your bag every few hours while (I assume) exploring the amazing city of Istanbul?

Just trying to play Keanu Reeves (aka devils advocate)

Edited by Zach1213

A few points to consider with TrakDot-

To receive notifications your phone must be able to receive SMS data in the countrie(s) you will visit. Make sure you arrange a roaming plan with your cell carrier.

Locating / tracking luggage on a smartphone or mobile device requires an international roaming dataplan....also arrange this with your cell carrier (data rates can be quite expensive, in the range of $20/MB so be sure you know how much data the tracking will consume).

iPhone must be 4S or newer running at least iOS7. Android must be Gingerbread or newer. (Probably not an issue if your phone is less than 2 years old).

Batteries seem to go about 7-12 hours; not enough to last through your flights plus the layover. You will have to somehow access your luggage in IST to change batteries....which may defeat the whole purpose.

You will need to purchase a unit and subscription for each piece of luggage.

If the TrakDot ends up in a room or corner with no cell signal, it will not report. Also, status is not reported unless the luggage changes location. For example when your bag arrives in IST that will be reported but if it doesn't make the connecting flight it will seemingly "disappear".

All this said, many people seem happy with the device and service...but several tech websites and consumers have encountered problems. A google search of reviews, TrakDot's FAQ's, and Amazon reviews will provide the pros and cons.

Does the airline offer luggae tracking in their APP.

Delta was terrible in a gate checked bag that did not make the connection even though we were on the ground for 5 hours between flights. The plane was so late and had to be at its destination for the following morning flight they just turned it and did not load baggage or service items.

Though baggage services didn't know where my bag was, the Delta app clearly showed it was still at my connecting city when I was at my destination and that was with a slapped on manual tag that was hand scanned at the gate.

It also showed it going to two other cities on its way to my destination the next day. I wish I could have got the miles from the bags travel then my own...

FWIW

A few points to consider with TrakDot-

To receive notifications your phone must be able to receive SMS data in the countrie(s) you will visit. Make sure you arrange a roaming plan with your cell carrier.

Locating / tracking luggage on a smartphone or mobile device requires an international roaming dataplan....also arrange this with your cell carrier (data rates can be quite expensive, in the range of $20/MB so be sure you know how much data the tracking will consume).

iPhone must be 4S or newer running at least iOS7. Android must be Gingerbread or newer. (Probably not an issue if your phone is less than 2 years old).

Batteries seem to go about 7-12 hours; not enough to last through your flights plus the layover. You will have to somehow access your luggage in IST to change batteries....which may defeat the whole purpose.

You will need to purchase a unit and subscription for each piece of luggage.

If the TrakDot ends up in a room or corner with no cell signal, it will not report. Also, status is not reported unless the luggage changes location. For example when your bag arrives in IST that will be reported but if it doesn't make the connecting flight it will seemingly "disappear".

All this said, many people seem happy with the device and service...but several tech websites and consumers have encountered problems. A google search of reviews, TrakDot's FAQ's, and Amazon reviews will provide the pros and cons.

7-12 hours? Seriously? What a joke. That's useless.

If I put one in my bag right before I check it in Kansas City (1.5 hours before flight), and have a flight to Dallas (1.5 hours), and a flight to LA (3 hours), and a flight to Hong Kong (14 hours), all with layovers (4 hours)...there's a chance it may not even make it to takeoff on the LA-Hong Kong flight before it dies? Wow...impressively worthless.

7-12 hours? Seriously? What a joke. That's useless.

Their FAQ's recommend extra sets of batteries on longer trips, and several user reviews comment that the batteries last only one direction on a typical US-overseas flight with a connection. Some reviews say the unit was DOA after a 5 hour flight. The unit is supposed to go into low-power "sleep" mode when it detects it's in transit...I speculate maybe that doesn't always work.

Also, the FAQ's repeatedly emphasize to use only alkaline batteries and never lithiums.