Cobh Ireland

We did this last year. It was really interesting and even though I thought I didn't like Guinness, the small glass we were given at the end was delicious.

The hotel is very near the docks. When you get off the ship, walk out of the gates and follow the road to the right, this is on a slight incline, not too far along, on the flat, you will see the hotel on the left hand side. You will possibly see a few people lurking outside as we did and then discover that they have all booked the tour.

I just returned from a TransAtlantic on the Voyager and one of our ports of call was Cobh. Charming city.

We explored the city on our own. Very easy to do as it is not that big. We kept passing the "walking tours" and it seemed they were doing more "standing" than "walking". I'd think with a good map (available at Heritage Center at the dock) and a little research you could easily do your own walking tour for free.

Also, right where you dock, there is a Heritage Center and a Museum that has alot of interesting things about the history of the TransAtlantic passenger ships. If you have at least 1.5 hours to go through the museum, it is worth the cost (I think it was 6 pounds pp if you were a cruise passenger).

I have lots of pictures of Cobh at the following link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/martyreep

When it opens, click on the Cobh Album. Let me know if you have any questions.

We are taking the Titanic Walking Tour in Cobh which leaves from the Commodore Hotel. Does anyone know how far the hotel is from where the Crown Princess docks? What would be the best way to get there from the dock? Is it walkable?

Thanks for your help.

Here is the web address of the Commodore Hotel with local information - it is right on the sea front in Cobh -

http://www.commodorehotel.ie/welcome.html

Hi! I'm Patty and will be taking this cruise in 11 days!!! Yeah!!! I was reading about some wonderful extraordinary excursions in Alaska and wondering if there are any comparable at any of these ports. Help on that and anything you feel is a "must do", or "must eat, drink, buy...", please let me know. I'm a newbie traveler (outside of the U.S., that is) and need all the help I can get.

I think Cobh will be a great place to spend a day.

Asa Cork resident, I'd say a leisurely, slow-walking, spending a lot of time drinking coffee/guinness day. There really isn't that much to see/do when you compare it to other big European ports. If the weather is good then you can sit in the park or outside a couple of the pubs & people watch but if the weather is miserable (more likely!) I personally would struggle to spend the whole day there. A trip into Cork itself (half an hour by train) would be more interesting. If you want more info on what to do in Cork just let me know.

Thank you for your kind inviatation to share some information regarding Cork. We will be there the middle of June and would like to avoid the planned ship tour and prefer to exolore Cork on our own. We are arriving on the Princess line Crown Princess ship.

Questions:

How easy is is to get from Cobh to Cork? Train, taxi, cost? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, we want to "experience" an Irish pub and love Irish beer- any suggestions?

Just returned from a transatlantic that stopped in Cobh. Be sure to get your camera ready as you're coming to land, a beautiful entry to this port. From my notes, the train is right next to the dock area, adjacent to the Heritage Center. The train cost about 12 euros - for either one or two people round trip (my note's not clear on which). Get off at the Kent Station in Cork, walk over several blocks to the bus station (stop in there for a map of downtown Cork), and from there several more blocks to Grand Parade St. where there are many shops and the headquarters for the HoHo bus (if you're interested in that). That tour takes about an hour with extremely narrow streets and very tight turns -- an experience. From that 1st stop on Grand Parade we walked back over to St. Finn Barre Cathedral. Don't miss that - you can see the spire from Grand Parade. As you walk back to the train station, you can cut thru the English Market to see fruits, vegetables, and meats and just next to the bus station is a Dunne's where you can buy anything you might need. If you're interested in Irish emigration to America or the Lusitania or the Titanic, I recommend a visit to the Cobh Heritage Center. We had grand weather after a short, drizzly start.

http://www.irishrail.ie/home/ for train timetables & cost. It takes about 25 minutes to get to Cork (Kent Station) & seems to go pretty frequently. Cobh station is on the cruise terminal quay. You will see it as you get off the ship.

The English market is my favourite place in Cork - especially if the weather is good & you can buy picnic goodies in there & go eat them in the park opposite. If it's raining try the Farmgate Cafe upstairs in the market or Liberty Grill on Washington street for lunch. My favourite coffee shop is Butlers chocolate cafe on Oliver Plunkett Street, next door to the post office. The best "Oirish" pubs are to be found round there too - An Brog, the Oak, An Bohdrain (?sp). Guinness is currently around €5 per pint, but the local brew is Murphys, so try a pint of that, they do taste different!

The Crawford Art Gallery is supposed to be pretty good, you can walk up to Shandon to see the Cathedral, the "goldy fish" (it's a weather vane!) & the 4 liars clock faces on the tower - so called as they all tell different times ("Sure, if they all told the same time why would we need 4 of them?" is the tale)

Blarney is a bus ride away (No.224) or a taxi, if you want to visit Blarney Castle & kiss the Blarney stone. It was €10 each entry fee when I took some visiting family last year.

If you like Whiskey there's the Jamieson Experience in Midleton (not too far from Cobh) & Fota House & Wildlife park is also pretty close.

Edit:

I just checked liners in cobh website ( http://www.linersincobh.com/gpage.html ) & the Crown Princess is due in on Sunday 21st June. Trains will be less frequent on a Sunday & most of the shops etc are not open until 12 noon.

Asa Cork resident, I'd say a leisurely, slow-walking, spending a lot of time drinking coffee/guinness day. There really isn't that much to see/do when you compare it to other big European ports. If the weather is good then you can sit in the park or outside a couple of the pubs & people watch but if the weather is miserable (more likely!) I personally would struggle to spend the whole day there. A trip into Cork itself (half an hour by train) would be more interesting. If you want more info on what to do in Cork just let me know.

Chester and Brewster -- We are going to be in Cobh in September and have planned a day over to Killarney Lakes and also the Muckross House. Since you are from the area, would you please tell us what to expect, scenery wise on our way from Cobh to County Kerry? Is there any place we should visit while there? Thanks for your advise in advance.

Chester and Brewster -- We are going to be in Cobh in September and have planned a day over to Killarney Lakes and also the Muckross House. Since you are from the area, would you please tell us what to expect, scenery wise on our way from Cobh to County Kerry? Is there any place we should visit while there? Thanks for your advise in advance.

The scenery between Cork & Killarney is pretty impressive – some very dramatic mountains. The route you would take from Cobh to Killarney is not the way I’d travel to Killarney from home; I have done it once or twice but I’m not that familiar with it. The best view IMHO is past Muckross House towards Kenmare; it’s called Ladies View. http://www.killarney.ac/postcards/photos/lv2.jpg

On the way to Ladies View you will pass Torc waterfall, which is fairly spectacular too. It’s a steep walk, although my 70 yr old FiL managed it. http://www.killarney-insight.com/jpgs/torc2.jpg

If you have more time to continue round the Ring of Kerry then don’t miss the Skellig Islands. You can see them from the shore, although there are boat trips from Port Magee. http://www.moorings.ie/Skelligs/Skelligs-Michael-Rocks.aspx

Hope this gives you some ideas, if you need any more info just let me know

The scenery between Cork & Killarney is pretty impressive – some very dramatic mountains. The route you would take from Cobh to Killarney is not the way I’d travel to Killarney from home; I have done it once or twice but I’m not that familiar with it. The best view IMHO is past Muckross House towards Kenmare; it’s called Ladies View. http://www.killarney.ac/postcards/photos/lv2.jpg

On the way to Ladies View you will pass Torc waterfall, which is fairly spectacular too. It’s a steep walk, although my 70 yr old FiL managed it. http://www.killarney-insight.com/jpgs/torc2.jpg

If you have more time to continue round the Ring of Kerry then don’t miss the Skellig Islands. You can see them from the shore, although there are boat trips from Port Magee. http://www.moorings.ie/Skelligs/Skelligs-Michael-Rocks.aspx

Hope this gives you some ideas, if you need any more info just let me know

Thank you so much -- the pictures are beautiful ..... can't wait to see it all in person.

Archived