Walking to the port in NOLA?

dmopink

Hello,

I know this might sound crazy, but I thought I read somewhere that you are able (if you're traveling light ;)) to walk to the cruise port in New Orleans. Does anyone know if this is true? We are cruising on the Carnival Dream in August. If this is true, what are the best hotels to stay in pre-cruise? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

I walked to the port from Greyhound via Julia Street. It took about 30 minutes to get to the Riverwalk because I stopped to carefully type a long text to my mom.

Walk past the padded seating and kids play area and out the door onto the river side of the building. Turn right and walk toward the ship. Turn right twice(?) and walk down the stairs. Cross four or five lanes(drop offs and pick ups) and get in line/enter the building. There is a sign next to the elevator that says it is for Norwegian and Royal Caribbean.

There are a couple hotels on Julia Street only a few blocks away from the Riverwalk entrance. Any hotel on Canal Street or west of Canal Street would be good too(more expensive though). You could use an entrance near the other end of the Riverwalk.

You could take the Canal Street streetcar(48 or 49) to the Riverfront streetcar(2). Take the Riverfront line two or three stops to the port entrance(Julia Street or the end of the line). This would cost $1.50($1.25 + $0.25 transfer). A day pass is $3.00, and it is good for 24 hours. Buy it after the time you would leave for the port the next day.

Tiger0613, thanks for the information. I think we need to be by the Erato Street entrance, not Julia Street. I think Carnival goes out of Erato Street. I'm getting the feeling we should have booked this a while ago....:rolleyes:

Tiger0613, thanks for the information. I think we need to be by the Erato Street entrance, not Julia Street. I think Carnival goes out of Erato Street. I'm getting the feeling we should have booked this a while ago....:rolleyes:

The elevators to the Julia Street terminal and the doors to the walkway to the Erato terminal are right next to each other. You can use the same Riverwalk entrance.

I know this way will work because I did it 2/9/17 and walked back to Greyhound on 2/13/17.

Hello,

I know this might sound crazy, but I thought I read somewhere that you are able (if you're traveling light ;)) to walk to the cruise port in New Orleans. Does anyone know if this is true? We are cruising on the Carnival Dream in August. If this is true, what are the best hotels to stay in pre-cruise? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Many of the near by hotels offer free shuttle service to the port!!

Other information:

If you are coming right from the airport to the port the N.O. cabs charge a flat rate from the airport to the port and vice versa.

Save your money and stay farther away if cruising is all you're doing. Just use Uber and you will be money ahead. Now if you're wanting to wonder a bit then it may be best to stay over there by the port. We're staying at the Holiday Inn in Gretna which is about a $15 Uber ride to the port for the 4 of us. It has received good reviews here on CC and awesome reviews on TripAdvisor.