Pre/post cruise day in FLL/MIA & hotel help

travelbug771

We are cruising out of Miami in Jan, but we are flying into FLL landing at 10am the day before the cruise. We are a family of 5 so I am thinking it makes sense to rent a car and do some sight seeing before checking into a hotel.

Here are my questions:

Does it make sense to rent a car from FLL and return it in Miami. A taxi should be about $80 and a rental car is the same price.

Where is a good pre cruise hotel that has a free shuttle to the port and maybe even parking for our other family who are driving in?

What could we do that day? Is everglades national park doable? Any other suggestions?

Finally, our return flight does not leave until 430 pm. Does this give us enough time to do something or should we just go to the airport?

Thanks in advance for suggestions and help!

We are cruising out of Miami in Jan, but we are flying into FLL landing at 10am the day before the cruise. We are a family of 5 so I am thinking it makes sense to rent a car and do some sight seeing before checking into a hotel.

Here are my questions:

Does it make sense to rent a car from FLL and return it in Miami. A taxi should be about $80 and a rental car is the same price.

Where is a good pre cruise hotel that has a free shuttle to the port and maybe even parking for our other family who are driving in?

What could we do that day? Is everglades national park doable? Any other suggestions?

Finally, our return flight does not leave until 430 pm. Does this give us enough time to do something or should we just go to the airport?

Thanks in advance for suggestions and help!

Travelbug771,

I hope this note finds u well.

Please find my suggestions below:

I would rent a car from Alamo, via costco travel (if u have a costco card). This way u can return the car to Miami airport and there is a free shuttle (only Alamo & national offer the free shuttle) to the port from there.

I would also suggest u stay at a hotel in Fort Lauderdale area as they r more reasonable than Miami hotels. I personally prefer Fort Lauderdale to Miami so always stay in Lauderdale regardless of if I am cruising out of either port.

I always stay at the sheraton suites plantation, great hotel, all the rooms r suites and u would have no problem with 5 people in a room. I have had friends drive and meet me there and they had no problems leaving their car there for a 14 night cruise at no additional cost.

A great option for something to do in Fort Lauderdale the day of arrival is spend the day hopping on and off the water taxi? It goes all around Fort Lauderdale inland waterway and even takes u to Hollywood beach if u like. U can park near las olas and pay $5 to park for the day. U can check out the water taxi route and info on line :)

U could also do the Everglades as it is an easy drive. Or even do that post cruis?!

Post cruise if u do early self disembark u would be off the ship at around 7:30 am, u could pre book a car rental, grab it and head to Lauderdale for the day.....before hitting the Fll for your flight.

I hope that helps.

Bon voyage :)

Travelbug771,

I hope this note finds u well.

Please find my suggestions below:

I would rent a car from Alamo, via costco travel (if u have a costco card). This way u can return the car to Miami airport and there is a free shuttle (only Alamo & national offer the free shuttle) to the port from there.

I would also suggest u stay at a hotel in Fort Lauderdale area as they r more reasonable than Miami hotels. I personally prefer Fort Lauderdale to Miami so always stay in Lauderdale regardless of if I am cruising out of either port.

I always stay at the sheraton suites plantation, great hotel, all the rooms r suites and u would have no problem with 5 people in a room. I have had friends drive and meet me there and they had no problems leaving their car there for a 14 night cruise at no additional cost.

A great option for something to do in Fort Lauderdale the day of arrival is spend the day hopping on and off the water taxi? It goes all around Fort Lauderdale inland waterway and even takes u to Hollywood beach if u like. U can park near las olas and pay $5 to park for the day. U can check out the water taxi route and info on line :)

U could also do the Everglades as it is an easy drive. Or even do that post cruis?!

Post cruise if u do early self disembark u would be off the ship at around 7:30 am, u could pre book a car rental, grab it and head to Lauderdale for the day.....before hitting the Fll for your flight.

I hope that helps.

Bon voyage :)

Thanks for the awesome advice! Do you have any other recommendations for hotels in FLL area? The Sheraton looks really nice, but we need three rooms and at $259-$359 a night thats a little steep:D

Thanks for the awesome advice! Do you have any other recommendations for hotels in FLL area? The Sheraton looks really nice, but we need three rooms and at $259-$359 a night thats a little steep:D

U r most welcome......I was referring to the sheraton suites in plantation, r u looking at that or the Sheraton by the beach? It should be around $150/night and I generally get it on Priceline for less!!! Or maybe it's higher cause it is January? I find hotels in Florida high in January!

Let me know, Sarah

U r most welcome......I was referring to the sheraton suites in plantation, r u looking at that or the Sheraton by the beach? It should be around $150/night and I generally get it on Priceline for less!!! Or maybe it's higher cause it is January? I find hotels in Florida high in January!

Let me know, Sarah

The cheapest rate is $259, and the park and cruise package is $359.... Guess I'll keep hunting! Thanks for your help!:)

The cheapest rate is $259, and the park and cruise package is $359.... Guess I'll keep hunting! Thanks for your help!:)

Wow, that is crazy. I have never seen their prices that high.

Try the Hyatt place or the Hampton inn. Also their is a doubletree by the sawgrass mills mall. Bit further away but generally well priced.

Good luck, again crazy hotel prices in January :). Try Priceline, I always do well on there either bidding (name your own price) or express deals. Generally a 3 1/2 star express deal in plantation with a customer rating of 8+ With amenities of pool, gym, restaurant, business centre & free parking is the Sheraton suites :)

Thanks, Sarah

What are your exact dates? Over MLK Jr weekend?

My suggestion would be to get the car and drive to Miami. Have you looked at Hotwire? I would go for three hotwire rooms that are at least 3 stars in the following Miami areas:

Downtown

Brickell

Coconut Grove

Coral Gables

South Beach

If you get downtown, Brickell, or South Beach, you'll want to ditch the car as to not pay for parking.

January is our best time of year with the best weather. I would tour Vizcaya and then gather your family for a lovely dinner sitting outside. We can give you restaurant ideas when you have a better idea of where you are staying.

One of the things I sometimes do with hotwire is to set an amount I want to spend, like $150 per night, look at all the areas, then book the highest rated hotel for that price.

I love a 4 1/2 star hotel at a bargain price! Any of the above areas will be perfect for your 36 hour Miami adventure.

Getting in that early I don't see any reason to stay in Fort Lauderdale let alone all the way out in Plantation. Plantation is a meh suburb.

Good luck!

Edited to add: Forgot to say stay away from Hialeah, Kendal, and the airport.

Edited by BlueHerons

What are your exact dates? Over MLK Jr weekend?

My suggestion would be to get the car and drive to Miami. Have you looked at Hotwire? I would go for three hotwire rooms that are at least 3 stars in the following Miami areas:

Downtown

Brickell

Coconut Grove

Coral Gables

South Beach

If you get downtown, Brickell, or South Beach, you'll want to ditch the car as to not pay for parking.

January is our best time of year with the best weather. I would tour Vizcaya and then gather your family for a lovely dinner sitting outside. We can give you restaurant ideas when you have a better idea of where you are staying.

One of the things I sometimes do with hotwire is to set an amount I want to spend, like $150 per night, look at all the areas, then book the highest rated hotel for that price.

I love a 4 1/2 star hotel at a bargain price! Any of the above areas will be perfect for your 36 hour Miami adventure.

Getting in that early I don't see any reason to stay in Fort Lauderdale let alone all the way out in Plantation. Plantation is a meh suburb.

Good luck!

Edited to add: Forgot to say stay away from Hialeah, Kendal, and the airport.

Sorry for my slow reply. We will be there new years day unfortunately so I am sure this does not help our case. I am looking at Hotwire, I am just not sure we want to stay in Coral or Coconut, but the car will be great to transport our group to the port. Love figuring out travel!

Hi Sarahbear99, I will probably be staying at the Sheraton Plantation next year, I stood there this year it was a great hotel. My question is I am not planning on renting a car is it very easy to take a cab for 5 people with luggages out of FLL to the Sheraton. I am still trying to plan what works best for me. FLL or Miami. Thanks...

Sorry for my slow reply. We will be there new years day unfortunately so I am sure this does not help our case. I am looking at Hotwire, I am just not sure we want to stay in Coral or Coconut, but the car will be great to transport our group to the port. Love figuring out travel!

That's a shame because Coral Gables and Coconut Grove are some of the most gorgeous parts of Miami.

That's a shame because Coral Gables and Coconut Grove are some of the most gorgeous parts of Miami.

BlueHerons, We (4 adults) are staying in Coral Gables one night pre cruise in February. We are flying into FLL around Noon. Should we rent a car or would it be better to take a taxi? We won't need the car once in Coral Gables and we figured we would just take a cab to the port the next morning. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BlueHerons, We (4 adults) are staying in Coral Gables one night pre cruise in February. We are flying into FLL around Noon. Should we rent a car or would it be better to take a taxi? We won't need the car once in Coral Gables and we figured we would just take a cab to the port the next morning. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Can you find a shuttle? If not I'd rent a car.

You will LOVE Coral Gables! Ortanique is one of my favorite restaurants on the planet!!

You will LOVE Coral Gables! Ortanique is one of my favorite restaurants on the planet!!

I will look into a shuttle, thanks! Is Ortanique on Miracle Mile? We are staying at the Hyatt Regency.

Just looked up Ortanique, it looks awesome! Thanks a ton:D

4 adults sharing a one-way car rental from FLL will be cheaper than any shuttle and a taxi on that trip will be $80-100+ :eek:

I would rent the car -- if you do not need or want it while staying in CG then drop it at the MIA airport and cab/shuttle to your hotel. Otherwise drop the car at MIA the morning of your cruise - National, Alamo & Thrifty offer a free shuttle from MIA to POM. ;)

Hi Sarahbear99, I will probably be staying at the Sheraton Plantation next year, I stood there this year it was a great hotel. My question is I am not planning on renting a car is it very easy to take a cab for 5 people with luggages out of FLL to the Sheraton. I am still trying to plan what works best for me. FLL or Miami. Thanks...

Hi there big mama,

I would say it shouldnt be a problem other than u will obviously need a van taxi! I have always rented a car so never needed a taxi. It's only 15 minutes from the airport to the hotel so shouldn't be too bad.

It is a great hotel and works well for my needs when I am in the area. I have recommended to many people and they were all very pleased with the hotel. I was there for two weeks in April and it was great!

Thanks