AOS Jan 15

wwallydoc

Just back from Souther Carib. San Juan to St Thomas, St Kitts, Aruba, Curacao.

Just a few notes to share. Check in process was easy and fast--from drop off of bags until boarding was approx 1 hr.

Dined at Giovannis Table twice---appetizers and pastas were excellent. service was excellent. entrees ok but not as good as Portofino. Desserts ok, but again not as good as Portofino. Wine choices by the glass were limited here and in the main dining room--out of Charles Krug and Ferrari Carano.

We did enjoy the food in the main dining room (yes, there was escargot every night!) we used my time dining and it was great. We had the Premium drink package and never had to look for the wine guy!

We did notice fewer servers on the pool decks--always crowded at the pool bar. We also noticed fewer wiat staff in ALL bars and lounges. We enjoyed the Champagne Bar----No champagne specials even though Royal confirmed before our trip! They did have the ice shows on 2 different days but no tickets. First time we tried to go there were no seats! We went with a group of 14 and liked our trip so much that we scheduled on board for next year! Any questions please fire away!

Just a few notes to share. Check in process was easy and fast--from drop off of bags until boarding was approx 1 hr.

Dined at Giovannis Table twice---appetizers and pastas were excellent. service was excellent. entrees ok but not as good as Portofino. Desserts ok, but again not as good as Portofino. Wine choices by the glass were limited here and in the main dining room--out of Charles Krug and Ferrari Carano.

We did enjoy the food in the main dining room (yes, there was escargot every night!) we used my time dining and it was great. We had the Premium drink package and never had to look for the wine guy!

We did notice fewer servers on the pool decks--always crowded at the pool bar. We also noticed fewer wiat staff in ALL bars and lounges. We enjoyed the Champagne Bar----No champagne specials even though Royal confirmed before our trip! They did have the ice shows on 2 different days but no tickets. First time we tried to go there were no seats! We went with a group of 14 and liked our trip so much that we scheduled on board for next year! Any questions please fire away!

Thanks for sharing the information about your cruise. We are sailing AOS the end of March on the same itinerary. Just curious what time you arrived at the port for embarkation.

Edited by mchin
reworded.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. We will be sailing later this year. I was just wondering if you noticed any booth style seating or chairs without arms in the MDR and buffet. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I sail the "B" route in March. We were last on her in 2011. Are they maintaining the ship fairly well. I know they did "refresh" her last year. I think I read they removed the old AstroTurf on the pool deck for wood decking?

Looking forward to our sail.

Thanks for your review.

Tom

we arrived at approx 11am. there are a few tables with booth type seating in the windjammer, but I dont remember chairs without arms in the main dining room

Do you remember what time the rooms were available after boarding ? We will be going on her in three weeks. Usually, we get there about 11 or so, but I'm going to try showing up little later and not dragging my carry ons around.

I'm hoping they were ready @ 1 or 1:30

State Rooms were ready by 130p. Buffett was better in some regards--but to me a buffett is a buffett. We ate in the main dining room whenever possible as we like to be served and not have to deal with the crowds. I think the drink package was worth it. If you like to drink and will average more than 6 drinks in a day its a good deal. We tried alot of different drinks that normally we wouldnt. Yes--even when we docked in Aruba, we had plenty of time to drink! AOS docked near Havensight as usual

The ship is in good shape. the pool turf type material is gone. It has a surface that looks like wood. Be careful--was slippery in areas. They now have a big screen by the pool. the other common areas are nice and well maintained too. We cruised before the refurbishment and things have a more "new appearance" I dont remember seeing any carpet that looked old. Balcony had new furniture, our stateroom had a new flat screen TV. No bad smells on the ship either

The ship is in good shape. the pool turf type material is gone. It has a surface that looks like wood. Be careful--was slippery in areas. They now have a big screen by the pool. the other common areas are nice and well maintained too. We cruised before the refurbishment and things have a more "new appearance" I dont remember seeing any carpet that looked old. Balcony had new furniture, our stateroom had a new flat screen TV. No bad smells on the ship either

Thank for the reply. We're looking forward to our cruise on her.

Tom

Movies were shown at night. Maleficent and the Alexander and the Terrible,Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day were both shown multiple times. Showtimes were usually at 8 or 10pm. Singing in the rain was one night at 8. I dont remember any other movies. Sorry--I didnt keep the compasses

we did blue water safari tour in St Kitts. Went to Zanzibar beach on our own in Curacao. did ship snorkeling excursion in Aruba---got to see WW2 German freighter. Yes, Mercedes is still the cruise director. Not sure how long she will be there.

we did blue water safari tour in St Kitts. Went to Zanzibar beach on our own in Curacao. did ship snorkeling excursion in Aruba---got to see WW2 German freighter. Yes, Mercedes is still the cruise director. Not sure how long she will be there.

Who was the Activity Manager, that worked with Mercedes as the CD? The Activity Manager is the assistant to the CD and many times introduces the CD at events and organizes many of the other things going on around the ship.