Family of 5 Med Cruise - Carry On Only?

CactusGirly

Our next cruise (next year, we have LOTS of time to plan ;)) is a 7 day Med cruise. We will have to take a cross-country flight, and then a trans-Atlantic flight to get to Barcelona before getting on the cruise. After the cruise we plan on staying a few more days in Europe, perhaps in Paris. We have 3 kiddos who will be 9/10/12 at the time we travel.

Here's my question - am I nuts for thinking we can get by without checking bags? The kids each have small roller bags (international size) and backpacks. DH and I do as well. We would pack everything in those. Downside is managing 5 roller bags/backpacks with 3 kids in the airports/ship, etc.

Edited by CactusGirly

We travel with carryon's and full size luggage... all roller bags and it works fine. It's every man for himself and so far my son has been hauling his own roller bags since he was probably six years old. There is no reason why your kids won't be able to manage if they are on rollers.

Having said that- a family of five could probably manage with carry-on bags if you aren't doing any formal nights- requiring dress shoes, suits and gowns. You can do laundry when needed.

Paris is fantastic for kids! Love it there. Three nights would be ideal. We stayed at a great place called Garden Elysee. http://www.paris-hotel-gardenelysee.com/

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I certainly don't think you're nuts. We did this 10 years ago -- two kids age 6 and 9, Barcelona to Venice. Each person carry on plus backpack. We have also gone to Israel for 3 weeks carry on only as well, and two week Caribbean out of Baltimore. IMHO it's all about thinking through wardrobe. limiting colors and making sure everything serves multiple purposes, and can be layered. Nothing comes "just in case". Formal wear was slinky dresses for mom & daughter, shirt and bow tie with black pants for son, Dinner Jacket + black pants for dad. Funniest part was I forgot to pack socks for 6 year old son. Wandered around Barcelona at 10 am looking for little socks -- no luck at all. We washed the socks he wore on the plane every night! This kept the cabin clutter well under control, and kids were able to manage their own clothing easily. When you have one or two of everything vs. lots, you keep track of it and take good care of it. If worse comes to worse you can supplement in port. I highly recommend it.

Yes, you can do it and will be glad you are not dragging around more 'stuff'. I have used laundromats overseas since we did carryons w/backpacks for 2 months. I look at the wash as another part of our Euopean experience - like the grocery stores and pharmacies.

It is definitely doable. Since you might have to haul any luggage up & down stairs if traveling by train or in some hotels you will be glad you don't have a ton of luggage.

I've done this with my mom (12 day Med + 1 week land) and DH (TA cruise & 7 day cruise). When I take my DD we will do the same. Mom & I did formal nights with nice knit skirts & dressy tops (& sandals).

You shouldn't need any heavy clothing for the Med (unless you were doing an off season cruise) which definitely helps. Just make sure you have necessary attire for certain attractions (shoulders, legs covered, etc).

If you make purchases that you need to get home either see if the shop can ship for you or (at the end of the trip) ship a box home with dirty clothes that you won't need right away at home--making room for other things.

Yes, you can do it and will be glad you are not dragging around more 'stuff'. I have used laundromats overseas since we did carryons w/backpacks for 2 months. I look at the wash as another part of our Euopean experience - like the grocery stores and pharmacies.

By the way, we are leaving in three weeks to visit relatives in Florida then board for a 13 day TA with several days in London followed by a couple of days in Iceland on the way home. There is a laundromat across the street from our London hotel and my DH is already tagged to do the honors.

Here is a good thread about packing light with links to MORE good threadsand links about packing light.

It can be done. Just takes planning and the 'correct' mindset.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2011190

I like this blog, a bit extreme but....

http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2012/01/the-almost-no-bag-challenge-how-to-live-out-of-one-bag-for-21-days-in-europe/

Also google 'one bag travel'

Yes, doable. Be certain to have a "count" of items (carryons and backpacks) and keep the count the same throughout the trip. Never stop without doing a countoff of bags before moving. Each bag should have a number (or other identity in our case our carryons are Pepi, Haz and Cash)

It can absolutely be done. I travelled for almost a month. Flew to Europe, spent a week, then got on a cruise ship for 24 days. I did have laundry done on the ship 2 times. I cruise NCL often and have a free laundry perk.

We travelled with a carryon each and backpack each.

This youtube video was quite helpful in packing. It is amazing how much can fit when packing using this style.