Trondheim Embarkation

smalltowner

In 3 weeks, my husband, son and I will be embarking in Trondheim for a trip to Kirkenes and back to Trondheim (where my son is living). I have received my package but it doesn't give information about where and when to embark. I see that the ship arrives at 8:30 and departs at noon, and we can find our way to the harbour, but I'm wondering if there is a terminal building, or do we just go to the gangplank? Also, at what time will our cabins be available?

I'm also wondering if free tap water is still unavailable in the dining room. I need to take medication with food, but I don't want to pay an exorbitant fee for bottled water just to wash down a pill. Some people on the various Hurtigruten forums are saying that taking a small bottle of tap water from one's cabin to the dining room is allowed, and others are saying it will be confiscated if you do so. What is the situation at this time?

There will be two Hurtigruten ships at the Hurtigruten pier for some of the time, so make sure you get on the correct one.

Have a look at this webcam at abut 9.00am Norwegian time and you'll see two ships alongside the quay opposite the camera position.

http://trondheimhavn.no/hurtigrutekaia-webkamera.aspx

Edited by BORDER REIVER

It'll be a bit difficult to look at the webcam at 9 Norwegian time, as that'll be 3am here in Canada. But I will be sure to check that I get on the correct ship if there are two there. Is there a terminal, or do we just find the correct ship and go up the gangplank?

It'll be a bit difficult to look at the webcam at 9 Norwegian time, as that'll be 3am here in Canada. But I will be sure to check that I get on the correct ship if there are two there. Is there a terminal, or do we just find the correct ship and go up the gangplank?

To be honest, we didn't pay much attention to the buildings, but I would imagine there will be a terminal building for passengers as it's a major city. We never went ashore, having been in Trondheim in summer the previous year.

There will be a passenger gangplank and a vehicle/cargo ramp at each ship.

There's also a lot of vehicle movements on the pier, with cars and fork lift loaders constantly on the move.

When we were there the Northbound ship arrived at 06.00 and departed at 12.00. The Southbound ship arrived at 06.30 and departed at 10.00.

In 3 weeks, my husband, son and I will be embarking in Trondheim for a trip to Kirkenes and back to Trondheim (where my son is living). I have received my package but it doesn't give information about where and when to embark. I see that the ship arrives at 8:30 and departs at noon, and we can find our way to the harbour, but I'm wondering if there is a terminal building, or do we just go to the gangplank? Also, at what time will our cabins be available?

When we have boarded we have simply walked up the gangplank and presented ourselves at the Reception desk. Our cabin was ready when we boarded.

It's a good 20-30 minute walk from the centre of Trondheim to the ship, including negotiation over a bridge, so, if you'll be on foot, allow plenty of time.

Thanks, Digitl. At what time did you board? We have about a 25 minute walk from our son's apartment, but may get a taxi if the weather is bad.

I forget the exact time. Probably no later than an hour before departure: I don't do last minute so less than an hour is very much last minute!

I'm also wondering if free tap water is still unavailable in the dining room. I need to take medication with food, but I don't want to pay an exorbitant fee for bottled water just to wash down a pill. Some people on the various Hurtigruten forums are saying that taking a small bottle of tap water from one's cabin to the dining room is allowed, and others are saying it will be confiscated if you do so. What is the situation at this time?

Hi,

the N'bound ship moors at the more southerly (ie inner) berth and the S bound will depart at 1000.

There are now 2 routes from city to port ( your son will probably know them) with a new walkway (with lifts if needed with luggage) adjacent to Rail Station which crosses the rail lines to the waters edge - turn right (onto Bratterkaia) then across roundabout & 1st left. You're then on Pier 1 road & be able to see ship (walkway is probably 10 in walk from ship max.)

I don't believe there are any waiting room facilities at Trondheim (rather odd given it's a major port and a major embarkation/disembarkation place for Hurtigruten - many smaller ports do have very good facilities!).

It will certainly be fine to board anytime after about 10 min after ship arrives - there is a luggage store adjacent to reception so you wouldn't have to carry baggage around ship if cabins aren't ready.

At all ports except Bergen checkin on Hurtigruten ships is onboard at the ship's reception - just like hotels

As for times cabins will be available I'd guess they're likely to be available when ship arrives - not many passengers do Bergen-Trondheim so chances are they'll not have been used previous 2 nights. Best thing if you want to confirm would be to telephone the ship the previous day & they should be able to confirm.

Can't confirm re water, there does seem to be some variance between ships but the official line is stillno water in dining rooms except bottled as far as I know. If water question is purely about taking pills you could get free water from cafeteria before going into dining room (water in cabins is also fine to drink). You would pose crew a difficult question if you asked for water to swallow pills whilst seated at your table - it would be interesting to hear response.

Fair winds & weather.

Have a great trip,

Richard

...there is a luggage store adjacent to reception so you wouldn't have to carry baggage around ship if cabins aren't ready.

But don't leave luggage unattended, even if staff say they will keep an eye on it: it needs to be locked away. A thief walked off with some recently.

Edited by digitl

Thanks for all that info, Richard. It sounds pretty straightforward to get to the port and onto the right ship. Does it cost a lot to telephone the ship? I might just try your suggestion about the water in the dining room and see what they do.

And Digitl, I did read that thread about the stolen luggage, and I think I'll just handle the luggage myself to get it to the cabin. There's an elevator, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Tap water is available in the dining room but you must ask for it. They try to sell the filtered or bottled water, but you can simply ask for it. After a couple of dinners, a carafe of water was always on our (assigned) table. No problem.

Tap water is available in the dining room but you must ask for it. They try to sell the filtered or bottled water, but you can simply ask for it. After a couple of dinners, a carafe of water was always on our (assigned) table. No problem.

When was your last trip? This used to be the policy, but it has changed recently (beginning of 2014 I think). I would be really glad to hear that they have changed it back (I'm taking a trip in just over a month) so if you trip is recent your experience would be encouraging. ;)

When was your last trip? This used to be the policy, but it has changed recently (beginning of 2014 I think). I would be really glad to hear that they have changed it back (I'm taking a trip in just over a month) so if you trip is recent your experience would be encouraging. ;)

September 2013, the earlier was 2009. Both times we had to request tap water and, after a couple of dinners, a carafe of tap water was on our table for the remaining dinners. Anxious to hear what your experience will be. The tap water is fine; it seems a shame to have to pay for filtered water.

September 2013, the earlier was 2009. Both times we had to request tap water and, after a couple of dinners, a carafe of tap water was on our table for the remaining dinners. Anxious to hear what your experience will be. The tap water is fine; it seems a shame to have to pay for filtered water.

I had the same experience than you, up to my last trip in Feb. 2013 (included) but from various reports this seemed to have change now and it's impossible to have free tap water in the restaurant.

I know it's a bit ridiculous to complain about paying for water compared to what this trip offers, but in my country every restaurant has to provide free water and anyone (supposedly) can enter a bar or coffee shop and ask for a glass of tap water, and I find it really petty from Hurtigruten to make their passengers pay for plain water. They could have just increased the cruise price and no one would have noticed. I have said it before and say it again, I think it's really bad public relation. One of the reason I enjoy Hurtigruten is because I feel I am treated as a person and not as a walking cash dispenser, and this new water policy doesn't go the right way at all.

I'll be onboard in less than a week, and if wifi is strong enough, will report to this thread on the water situation. I'd like to send my son to check it out ahead of time, but he's too busy trying to get things done at work so he can get away. We're flying Icelandair via Reykjavik, so are hoping the volcano that was threatening to erupt last week stays quiet.

Am in the Panorama Lounge posting this message. No tap water in dining room anytime. But if you buy wine you get free bottled water with it. We just drink some water in the cabin before dinner, along with wine we brought onboard. Nobody asked about nor seemed to care how much wine we brought with us. We brought 4.5 litres for 6 people, which is the allowable limit. Dinner is served promptly, so I just take pill before leaving the cabin. Food is great for us, as we love fish. Weather not wonderful, but not terrible. Enjoying ourselves.

Buying wine to have free water doesn't feel a very satisfactory solution! ;) Glad you're having a good time, I've seen many pictures showing that the Aurora season has started so I'm keeping my finger crossed for you! Have plenty of fun.

Am in the Panorama Lounge posting this message. No tap water in dining room anytime. But if you buy wine you get free bottled water with it. We just drink some water in the cabin before dinner, along with wine we brought onboard. Nobody asked about nor seemed to care how much wine we brought with us. We brought 4.5 litres for 6 people, which is the allowable limit. Dinner is served promptly, so I just take pill before leaving the cabin. Food is great for us, as we love fish. Weather not wonderful, but not terrible. Enjoying ourselves.

Hope you are having a great time, and thanks for the update. Where did you buy your wine? I'm thinking if we fly from Canada to Norway, we'll be buying whiskey in the duty-free at Heathrow, since I know liquor is very, very expensive in Norway. But if there is wine available locally at reasonable cost, that would be a plus.

Hope you are having a great time, and thanks for the update. Where did you buy your wine? I'm thinking if we fly from Canada to Norway, we'll be buying whiskey in the duty-free at Heathrow, since I know liquor is very, very expensive in Norway. But if there is wine available locally at reasonable cost, that would be a plus.

Check out vinmonopolet.no Bergen on Google, using the translator device on the Google site.

That is the only place to buy wine or liquor in Norway. There are 2 stores that I know of in Bergen, one very near the train station and one in the center of town.(I think there was one near the Hurtigruten pier, but I can't find it listed.) There are stores in all of the Norwegian cities, a couple located very near the spot where the ship docks. Figure on paying twice what you would pay in the US; wine, etc. is heavily taxed, in part, to pay for the problems associated with alcohol....not a bad idea when you think about it!

Hi,

You can buy spirits & wine (including 3l boxes) at duty free on arrival at your first Norwegian airport http://www.heinemann-dutyfree.com/oslo_arrival_en/?changeairport=1 .

Any further flights eg Oslo-> Bergen are internal (you also need to reclaim & recheck hold luggage at initial Norwegian airport).

Hope this helps,

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to have neglected this thread since our return. First, to correct my post from the ship, we took 4.5 litres of wine for 3 people, not 6. We bought it at duty-free in arrivals at the airport in Trondheim. Chilean cab sauv Casillero del Diablo was the same price as at home in Ontario, Canada, and it's a wine we like. After our return to Trondheim following the cruise, we did get wine at Vinmonopolet, and found South American wines not too expensive, though more than at home for the same wines.

I can't remember what the cost was for the bottled water. And I didn't see anyone trying to take water in from their rooms. I didn't have the nerve, and am not a big water drinker at meals anyway, so it didn't really bother me much, though I think the policy is ridiculous. We bought wine twice, and made the bottle last 2 meals each time, so got free water for 4 meals.

Hope this info didn't come too late to help you.