Things to do with people with motion sickness.

Sara256

My husband does fine on the cruise ship with the right medication but speed boats and bus rides still make him sick. Can anyone suggest anything to do in Belize that does not require a 1 hour bus ride or 40 minute speed boat ride? Or should we just stay on the ship? What happens during the day on the ship?

My husband does fine on the cruise ship with the right medication but speed boats and bus rides still make him sick. Can anyone suggest anything to do in Belize that does not require a 1 hour bus ride or 40 minute speed boat ride? Or should we just stay on the ship? What happens during the day on the ship?

You can take the Belize city tour and visit the rum factory.

Yes, be sure to consider the tender ride. It can be as quick as 20 minutes or as long as 45 minutes, depending on the weather and where your ship anchors. We were fortunate on our last cruise that we were the closest ship to Belize City, the weather was beautiful and the seas were calm. The tender ride took about 20 minutes once we were loaded (it can be 15 minutes or so to load as well). There was a ship farther out (south) that I would imagine took quite a bit longer to tender in.

Just so you are aware in case he needs to take meds or anything just to get to land. :)

Thanks for the info. I didn't really think of that as we have not had to tender before. I think he should be ok for the shorter trip, just don't want to add another long trip on top of that. I going to bring every motion sickness med and remedy I can come up with and hope something works.

Thanks for the info. I didn't really think of that as we have not had to tender before. I think he should be ok for the shorter trip, just don't want to add another long trip on top of that. I going to bring every motion sickness med and remedy I can come up with and hope something works.

The tender over would be your biggest issue for your seasick prone DH which could be quite a challenge considering the time it takes to board the rocky tender and the time/weather conditions to get to the tender dock. ;)

Has he tried either the scopalamine patch or the 24 hr dramamine? I get super motion sick and I have found that both of those work well. The patch is prescription but its worth it if the 24 hr dramamine doesn't work.

Also, probably something you know - but if you wait until he starts feeling unwell to take the meds, they are not nearly as effective. So pre-medicate :).

All that said, I still don't feel great if I get stuck in the back of a tour bus, so unless I can guarantee a front seat I avoid those myself by booking private tours where I can talk with the company ahead of time and explain my need to sit in the front seat with A/C running or an open window.