Flights to CDG or directly to ports

Bella O

Trying to decide between two options for our upcoming river cruise, from

Avignon to Lyon We have the option to take a direct flight from the US to CDG. From there we can take the TVG to Avignon, and then at the end of the trip, TVG back from Lyon to CDG. Advantage of course is the direct flight, but quite a bit longer morning at the end of the cruise! Other option (which is actually a little cheaper) is to fly in and out of Marseilles and Lyon (two connections out bound, one coming back), but not through CDG, which is a big bonus as I have had bad experiences before at this airport!. Do you think one has more advantage than the other? TIA!

IF you're just taking the RC, them Marseilles would be much closer to both Avignon and Lyon so I think I'd try to fly in/out of it since it has to be a smaller airport then CDG! Is it also convenient to the train? A lot depends on how much luggage you'll be traveling with and ability to "move" it on/off train. But the European trains are very passenger "friendly" with storage areas at the ends of each car. We've used them a few times but I've never seen any assistance from train personal - only from other passengers.

As for buying train tickets - there's a thread about using SCNF.com directly where the tickets are much cheaper than Rail Europe.

Also the further out you buy the tickets the lower the price - tickets are usually available with 3 months of the trip.

A tough choice. Call me a bit paranoid, but forty+ years of international travel has taught me to avoid multiple flight changes if possible. Direct (non-stop) flights increase the odds of not having luggage lost (or delayed) and avoid most problems related to late flights. As to the TGV, as we have posted elsewhere, there are sometimes decent fares for SNCF trains that await those willing to book directly with the SNCF web site (this can be a bit tricky). Folks in the US or Canada that try to book on the SNCF site will often be redirected (automatically) to the Raileurope site where they can pay much higher prices. The way around this is to simply tell the SNCF site that you are picking up the tickets in France....and then use the option to have your ticket voucher e-mailed. The entire Raileurope scheme is somewhat shameful.

Hank

Thanks for the responses! I always try to book direct flights when possible, but weighing this with taking an unfamiliar train route after a long international flight, with luggage in tow without my trusty mule to lug the stuff (no dh on this trip, just me and dd) so I keep going back and forth.

Appreciate the insight with the trains to help me make a decision, thanks!