Car Hire in Puerto Madryn

caneable

Still a long way off from our South America cruise in March/ April 2016, but just trying to get my thoughts together. Does anyone have experience of car hire from Puerto Madryn?

We'd like to see the Valdes Peninsula. How well serviced are the roads in that direction? Do they have gas stations / garage services at fairly regular distances? I know... If you rent a car you get full tank, car should be in good condition , BUT, as we're on a cruise the lines aren't forgiving of late returns!

Just as well to have the info now rather than too late!

How far were you able to cover if you did rent? Which rental company did you use? Any other info I should know?

Thanks for any information forthcoming. Our cruise is for 34 days including 18 destination stops and this does sem to be one destination where car hire could help. Anything that helps ease the cost impact of getting the most out of our visit will help.

• 4 weeks later...

Been to Madryn twice (by air to Trelew/REL). I only changed a rental car in Madryn. If you have a cell phone, call ahead to make sure the staff are actually in the office (same goes anywhere in Argentina from my experience).

Peninsula Valdes is dirt road for the most part except a short stretch descending to Puerto Piramides (at least in 2009). If you have experience driving (fast) on dirt road, you should be o.k. Piramides is where the only fuel station (and most services) is on the peninsula. Nothing else out there except estancias and a restaurant at Punto Delgado (SE tip) and another restaurant or sme sort halfway up the east coast.

You can take a dirt road close to the bay to get to Valdes and back (not signed), or paved road but that means heading out to the main highway.

There are of course fuel stations in Madryn. You can cover the whole peninsula in a day, but depends on how long you stop, walk around, etc.

I believe I rented from Europcar. I think all the big agencies are in town.

• 10 months later...

I walk to the downtown, National office. No they don't pick you up at the dock. A few years ago, I rented from an independent vendor, who did bring the car to me, but I have been unable to determine if they are still in business??? I drive to Punta Tombo which is doable with the port times I have. For Valdez- you need more time in my opinion.