Puerto Vallarta: Car Rental near port

tacobelldog

I was in Puerto Vallarta a few years ago and rented a car in the Walmart parking lot from a small hertz office. I can't find any info and I think the small office is gone. I would like to find a car rental within a short distance of the port. Anyone know what options there are and where? Thanks

In about 10 days I will be back in Vallarta, and I can report back some days after that. Indeed most likely that Hertz desk is gone, I donot remember seeing it last winter.

Your only option will be to rent at the airport, which is a 5-10minute drive by cab. (or longer by citybus)

You realise how hectic traffic often is in and around Vallarta?

Just a few thoughts from somebody who lives in PV a couple of months a year. Rental cars (with the required insurance) are pretty expensive in PV and not very convenient to the port. Local buses cost about 55 cents, and regional buses (to places like Nuevo) not much more then a dollar. Taxis can get you most places in the PV area for less then $10. And driving in PV has its share of risks, and in Mexico you are guilty until you can prove yourself innocent. So unless a cruiser has a specific place they want to go, that is not easily accessible, we recommend not renting a car. I should add that we rent cars all over the world when we cruise, but while living in PV (for 9 winters) we have never felt the need to have a car.

And we would suggest you also pay attention to Ine since we know she keeps a car in PV and know all about the pros and cons.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks...the destination would be a day in Sayulita rather than PV at all. Maybe a stop at the Zipline place along the way. Do you have an alternative way to get there. I like cruises, but detest organized shore excursions.

I don't believe there are any zipline operations between the port and Sayulita. All are south of the city.

You might consider a company like Superior Tours for your ground transportation. http://superiortoursvallarta.com/ Hiring a private car/driver for the day will likely be cheaper than renting a car and they will pick up/drop off at the port. I don't think hiring a taxi for the day will work as you will be crossing a couple taxi company jurisdictions and they get real feisty if a Vallarta city taxi is working up in Sayulita.

Good luck.

Thanks...the destination would be a day in Sayulita rather than PV at all. Maybe a stop at the Zipline place along the way. Do you have an alternative way to get there. I like cruises, but detest organized shore excursions.

If you only wanted to go to Sayulita, you can simply cross the road in front of the port (go to the Walmart side of the road) and go over to the bus stop (it would be towards your left). Just ask anyone to steer you towards the bus to Sayulita (you pay the driver in Pesos). Not sure of the cost, but it will be a lot less money then a rental car. The down side is that the bus does take a bit longer then driving a car (because it makes a few stops along the way). And you would have to wait for the next bus which wastes some time. But the hassle and delays of getting a rental car might not be a much better option.

Hank

I rented a car in PV through Priceline before I left, we'd been to PV a few times so we had seen all that there was to see in town. I called the local company to confirm the rental and the agreed-upon price prior to departing, I followed it up with an email to which they responded. They agreed to meet my ship at port. When I got off the boat they were nowhere to be found but the office was only 4 blocks away so we walked there. They apologized for forgetting to meet me. They gave me a hard time about the Priceline amount ($9/day) but I showed them the printed emails with their response. They honored the $9/day price plus I purchased insurance for $14/day. We traveled south on the highway and visited the jungle. We had lunch in a town called El Tuito and spent an hour walking around the plaza. It was a pleasant and affordable way to spend a nice day outside of PV.

I was in the port yesterday, busy day, there were 3 ships docked.

But no desk or cabin of Hertz anymore, as I also thought there was none last winter.

Indeed Gecko in Bucerias is a choice. But I am not sure they have an office that close to the port. I know they deliver to the airport, so most likely also to the port. However in highseason expect higher rates.

Check their website for details.

Or reserve a car to be picked up at the airport which is a short cabride (or busride) away.