Cruise Etiquette: Guide to How To Act/Not Act Onboard

thecruiserofships

Advice traditionally given to an aspiring knight:

"Treat your lessers as your equals, your equals as your Betters

and the King and Queen with the respect due to Sovereigns".

Works for most circumstances, including cruising.

So eloquently stated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
To fellow passengers and especially the staff. I hate loath and detest people that think they have the right to be treated as if they were the most important people on the planet.

What Gunner said! Excellent point.

• 3 months later...
We allow the people on the elevator to get off before we get on the elevator. We don't break in line at the buffet. We say excuse me, thank you and you're welcome. We don't make extraordinary requests from the room steward or the waiters. We don't hog the chairs on the pool deck. We don't save chairs at the shows because we arrive together. We don't push to get on or off the tenders. We are so happy to be on a cruise that you can't wipe the smiles off our faces and we find that by just relaxing, being patient and smiling, we get treated in kind. It's pretty simple.

You are angels! Imagine if everyone could do the same!

• 3 months later...

And also to look at the good in life and not be negative and complaining on everything

I love your outlook

I do the same

Ah...thank you!! My Bermuda cruise last fall got re-routed to the Bahamas because of Hurricane Gonzalo. My friends and I were happy just to still be going on vacation, never mind where!

And yet....multiple times per day, I heard someone complaining about not going to Bermuda, often taking directly to me. Gee, thanks. Here *I* am, thrilled to be going to the Bahamas and making the most of what the situation is, and YOU want to ruin MY vacation by complaining? I didn't make the storm, I can't move the storm, I can't get you to Bermuda. I'm sorry.

If you don't like adventure, why are you cruising at all, much less during hurricane season?

My daughter and I went to a New port in Honduras last year and the weather started out fine, just a little windy,, but later it seems they had a downpour .worse than the locals had seen in years. Several of the excursions were delayed and canceled due to large amounts of running water. Norwegian was wonderful and reimbursing those that were affected. But during the evening I heard many complaints. Passengers that had completed their excursions were angry because they weren't reimbursed. I just don't get it. My daughter and I were on the same ship during the same whether we had a fantastic time. And I want to commend the tender pilots for the wonderful job they did

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
I have been blogging various tips on how to act and not act onboard cruise ships over the past few months.

Thank you so much for sharing!! I read all of the links.

Its funny that we are classifying this as "cruise ship" ettiquette.

I think this behavior should be the baseline across the board.

This is how we should behave on a daily basis. Love this!!

• 2 weeks later...

I would love for people to hear themselves from inside my room..I'm a person that goes to bed "early"....around 11. I am often kept awake till after 1 by people talking loudly in the hallway. I wish they would be more respectful in the halls!!

Please, please, PLEASE stop wearing your bathrobe around the ship! The ship is not your private home and the dining area is not your kitchen. When you walk out of your stateroom, please be dressed in actual clothes.

The only exception to this is someone dressed for the pool and using their robe as a cover.