carrying luggage on trains in Tokyo

ccm1020

Does anyone know how easy it is to load luggage into the trains and subways to and from Tokyo? We don't want to have to lift our luggage up steps.

Thanks

Chuck.

ccm1020

Does anyone know how easy it is to load luggage into the trains and subways to and from Tokyo? We don't want to have to lift our luggage up steps.

Thanks

Chuck.

ccm1020

It depends on the station and time of day. We have taken luggage but it isnt easy, and the next upcoming trip we will be sending our big suitcases by the courier service. Sending from Yokohama to Okayama after the cruise and from Kyoto to an airport hotel at Narita. have been quoted less than 2000 yen each. We will be having 2 and 3 days travelling between but will take hand luggage only for those days.

Most of the stations have been done up and have either lifts or escalators but there are still some that will involve steps.

We did 8 days in Japan prior to our cruise, then visited some Japanese ports. Loved the country and its people.

First, the Narita Express is no problem with luggage. You can roll your luggage onboard and either place it in a luggage compartment near the exit doors or on a rack above your seat. You get assigned seats on Narita Express. It was great, took us to Tokyo Station near our hotel.

Second, the Bullet train to Kyoto, we also had assigned seats. We took a tour that provided the tickets. Fortunately, we left our large luggage bags at our hotel in Tokyo, were we planned to return for the cruise. Still, taking a large suitcase would not have been a problem.

Third, we never took the Metro in Tokyo, but based on my research, if you go on a work day (not Sunday), then forget trying to take luggage. It is just too crowded. Use a luggage service or take other transportation. We used Green Tomato to go to the port.

One gentleman on our cruise took the Metro on Sunday and said it was not crowded and it was cheap.

Fourth, we did take a train (not bullet train) from Kobe to Hymeji to see the famous castle. Taking luggage would be possible, but at times we had standing room only, so luggage would have been a pain in the ---.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

Several folks have talked about the luggage service. It is terrific and very inexpensive. We did it many times on our trip to Japan and it worked every time!

We hired a car from the airport to our hotel and were delighted that we did. Our plane was hours late and the car company kept track and were right there when we exited customs. "Every hotel we stayed at had the luggage service and happily did it for you.

I wish the US had this service!! It makes a real difference!

• 1 month later...

I agree with using the luggage forwarding What a great service. After our first week of traveling we used an extra duffle we had packed to send ahead dirty clothes and souvenirs to our final hotel. It really lightened our bags and left room for more purchases!

Hi folks, I know all about this and how it works but I haven't had need to use it before. I may do this time though and would be very interested to know which company people used and whether you booked it independently and whether you booked it online or at the location. Also has anyone any experience of using it from the pier in Yokohama?

TIA