Little French Key or Maya Key

Tinkerkelle

I am looking for a great place to spend the day in Roatan and looking for some great snorkeling. Should I go to Little French Key, Maya Key or rely on a driver to just find us a spot on the island? I like the idea of going to an all-inclusive (less things to worry about) but I think my husband leans toward spontaneity! My main thing is I want to have a good snorkeling experience where we can definitely see the reef & lots of fishies:p

We are doing the Maya Key excursion on our cruise coming up in 10 days. When I get back, I will give you a rundown on how we liked it. We also are looking for an AI experience, food + relaxation + photography + snorkeling. Maya Key seemed like the best option.

I have been to Roatan on 2 land-based scuba trips so I know what the reefs and fishlife look like there. If Maya Key has great snorkeling, we will find it and report back!

I've done Maya Key in the past. The reef is beautiful and fairly extensive if you get out beyond the rim (probably a 100 yds through a channel). Water will be a little rougher but if you are good swimmer you will have no problem. Maya Key has a variety of things to do including a small zoo area, beach, and pool. Snorkeling is done from the end of the pier and beyond the channel, pretty much encompasses the whole east side of the island. You can go with a guide or without. And the earlier you get there the better because more people make it more crowded. Wife/I actually got there on first excursion. Dropped out stuff off in a locker (worth the few dollars) and walked out on the pier. Were first two in the water and no guide. I snorkeled for well over 2 hours. Lots of color, lots of fish.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to Maya Key and Little French Key (and then don't forget about heaind to West Bay either).

I personally would pick Maya Key. It's just so easy to snorkel there and very beautiful with tons to see and do. I have a complete review of our day there (listed in my signature line) and you will find TONS of pictures of the place and the snorkeling. (I also have reviews of LFK and West Bay too if you are interested).