Does square footage of rooms include balcony?

2pbears

We have cruised on ocean liners but have just started to research river cruising and are looking to do a Rhine river cruise in late summer/early fall of 2017. We have looked at many lines and are examining the square footage of the rooms on each line. On ocean liners the square footage of the room generally includes the size of the balcony and I am wondering if this is the case on river ships.

For instance, on AMA (which we are now leaning toward) the difference in the French balcony room and the twin balcony room is 170 sq ft versus 210 sq ft. If the 210 sq ft includes the outside balcony space then the actual difference in the square footage inside the rooms is probably only about 20 sq ft rather than 40 sq ft. I am thinking that a French balcony would be fine for us but if there is actually a 40 square foot difference in inside room size then the increased price would probably justify going with the twin balconies. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on this subject?

For instance, on AMA (which we are now leaning toward) the difference in the French balcony room and the twin balcony room is 170 sq ft versus 210 sq ft. If the 210 sq ft includes the outside balcony space then the actual difference in the square footage inside the rooms is probably only about 20 sq ft rather than 40 sq ft. I am thinking that a French balcony would be fine for us but if there is actually a 40 square foot difference in inside room size then the increased price would probably justify going with the twin balconies. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on this subject?

The square footage includes the outside balcony in the twin balcony staterooms on AMA. The interior balcony is part of the room.

We have had all three and really enjoyed the large (235 sq ft) twin balcony stateroom.

We have cruised on ocean liners but have just started to research river cruising and are looking to do a Rhine river cruise in late summer/early fall of 2017. We have looked at many lines and are examining the square footage of the rooms on each line. On ocean liners the square footage of the room generally includes the size of the balcony and I am wondering if this is the case on river ships.

Howdy 2pbears,

We are doing our first River cruise and I guess are very fortunate as we are sailing on one of the New Scenic Tours ships lauched this year called the Opal and we are booked into one of the Royal Panorama Suites and have 475 Sq. Ft Of Space. Can't Wait.

Gary

Thank you Caviargal. I thought that was the case but just wanted clarification. We have a long time to think this over but so far I believe AMA is probably the best fit for us.

You can see from my cruising history that AMA is our favorite as well. I posted detailed reviews of each of my river cruises if you are interested.

We really enjoy the overall experience AMA provides. Their French balcony cabins are fine at 170 sq ft but we like the extra space and outdoor space of the twin balconies. We enjoy the private outdoor space this provides as well as the additional interior room.