question on purchasing a cellphone in St. Martin

agargoyle

HI,

we were on a cruise in October and it stopped in Phillipsburg, St. Martin and St Thomas.

We walked around the port doing some looking/shopping. (ring, camera)

We went into one store to look at cameras and there was a counter in the middle of the store that was mobbed with people purchasing cell phones. It was very busy and since people seemed to know what they were doing and purchasing cell phones and the staff was busy getting the phones up and running I did not get to talk to anyone. At the time I was not looking for a new cell phone.

I believe the store was in Phillipsburg but it could have been St. Thomas

Well, now I am looking to replace my phone....does anyone here have knowledge concerning purchasing cell phones on the island? Are they that much cheaper? Do they really work when you get back to the States?

Any input would be great as in January we will be cruising again to both places and if I can pick up a new phone at a really good price that would be great.

OH, I am looking for android.

Thanks in advance.

Personally, I haven't been impressed with the price of electronics on the island, and I wonder about warranties.

I purchased my last phone from Amazon, a Blu, for about $50 and I am very happy with it after 8 months. It is dual Sim, and I have an ATT in one slot and a Chippie (St. Maarten) in the other.

Tap a few items on the screen to switch.

They have phones for less than that and up to twice that price or more, depending on features like internal memory, but go take a quick look.

gary

Personally, I haven't been impressed with the price of electronics on the island, and I wonder about warranties.

I purchased my last phone from Amazon, a Blu, for about $50 and I am very happy with it after 8 months. It is dual Sim, and I have an ATT in one slot and a Chippie (St. Maarten) in the other.

Tap a few items on the screen to switch.

They have phones for less than that and up to twice that price or more, depending on features like internal memory, but go take a quick look.

gary

Hi,

Did not think about Amazon. I will give that a look see. You seem to know your stuff since I never knew that phones could have 2 Sims. I just want one with a good battery and I can use when we travel ...oh my games are important.

Thanks for the advice.