1st time on Bonaire

4FRCruising

Wondering how long the pier is - can't walk a long distance unless there are places to sit.

Looking for shopping & excursion (love flamingoes) suggestions but keeping my walking/standing limitations in mind.

Thanks all [emoji41]

DW and I were just there. The pier ( south pier) is pretty close to town where there is a few shops and if you walk just about another 100 yds there is small area with a dozen vendors or so.... and there is another shopping area ( called a mall ) but its not like a Mall in the USA, its much smaller. There were benches periodically placed so if you need to sit down you can. We really liked Bonaire allot, especially because its so small and not commercialized.

We did a snorkeling tour with Woodwind. They were very good and they provided all the gear, drinks and food. The crew was very nice and helpful. We highly recommend them.

DW and I were just there. The pier ( south pier) is pretty close to town where there is a few shops and if you walk just about another 100 yds there is small area with a dozen vendors or so.... and there is another shopping area ( called a mall ) but its not like a Mall in the USA, its much smaller. There were benches periodically placed so if you need to sit down you can. We really liked Bonaire allot, especially because its so small and not commercialized.

We did a snorkeling tour with Woodwind. They were very good and they provided all the gear, drinks and food. The crew was very nice and helpful. We highly recommend them.

Thanks so much. Hopefully I will be able to manage that walk-I know the piers at Grand Turk & Cozumel are too long for me. I am so looking forward to this port - one of the few I've never been to. [emoji41]

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks so much. Hopefully I will be able to manage that walk-I know the piers at Grand Turk & Cozumel are too long for me. I am so looking forward to this port - one of the few I've never been to. [emoji41]

The pier was pretty short actually.... nothing like Cozumel. I was pleasantly surprised with Bonaire. Very small and quaint... and didn't get hounded every twenty feet to but stuff.

The pier was pretty short actually.... nothing like Cozumel. I was pleasantly surprised with Bonaire. Very small and quaint... and didn't get hounded every twenty feet to but stuff.

Ohh...Tytytyty - feeling more confident now about being able to get off the ship [emoji41] I don't suppose I'd be lucky enough that there are lots of places to sit if I need to.

Ohh...Tytytyty - feeling more confident now about being able to get off the ship [emoji41] I don't suppose I'd be lucky enough that there are lots of places to sit if I need to.

When you turned right at the end of the pier there was a macadam walk path and there were several spots to sit... like park benches.

If you turned left and walked toward the shopping area, there was a few spots to sit too. Once you get to the little market area, there were also spots to sit. Just a thought, but how about renting a scooter... not a motorcycle kind, but like they have at the grocery stores. It may be a good idea... they are very compact and manoeuvrable and then you dont have to worry about a bench.. :)

When you turned right at the end of the pier there was a macadam walk path and there were several spots to sit... like park benches.

If you turned left and walked toward the shopping area, there was a few spots to sit too. Once you get to the little market area, there were also spots to sit. Just a thought, but how about renting a scooter... not a motorcycle kind, but like they have at the grocery stores. It may be a good idea... they are very compact and manoeuvrable and then you dont have to worry about a bench.. :)

I thought about the scooter thing-but really need to keep moving/walking-trying to build up strength & stamina (maybe that will be better by Sept). I make sure I carry electrolyte water enhancer to try to keep my BP from dropping too much too.

Helps a lot just knowing that there are places to sit[emoji41]

Hoping I can find a nice, easy tour that will let me see flamingos too (my favorite bird).

Picked this cruise so I could get to an island I haven't been to and would like to be able to see some of it.

Thanks again for all your info [emoji568]

Hoping I can find a nice, easy tour that will let me see flamingos too (my favorite bird).

Thanks again for all your info [emoji568]

I sail with Woodwind every time I go to Bonaire, but I have read good reviews here for Bonaire Vista tours. I recall that they go to the flamingo area.

You can search here or on Google.

Just so you know, tho, you can rarely get close; I have seen flocks of them in Curacao and Grand Turk. They are birds, after all, and spooky. Suggest you bring binoculars or a camera with a good lens.

Hope you are able to see a flock while you are there, it is quite a sight.

I sail with Woodwind every time I go to Bonaire, but I have read good reviews here for Bonaire Vista tours. I recall that they go to the flamingo area.

You can search here or on Google.

Just so you know, tho, you can rarely get close; I have seen flocks of them in Curacao and Grand Turk. They are birds, after all, and spooky. Suggest you bring binoculars or a camera with a good lens.

Hope you are able to see a flock while you are there, it is quite a sight.

I'll check that all out. I'll make sure to pack the binoculars that Carnival gave me one year as a Platinum gift.

Best place to get close up & personal with flamingos is Ardastra Gardens I the Bahamas-got to go there once and see the marching flamingos. After the show one of the young ones kept coming up to us and trying to get a look in our purses lol (must have been a female).

• 1 month later...

Golfer1966- Thanks for sharing the info, I learned some too.

I'll check that all out. I'll make sure to pack the binoculars that Carnival gave me one year as a Platinum gift.

Best place to get close up & personal with flamingos is Ardastra Gardens I the Bahamas-got to go there once and see the marching flamingos. After the show one of the young ones kept coming up to us and trying to get a look in our purses lol (must have been a female).

Ardastra is fun for the marching flamingos! Went earlier this year!