Problems with the POA Deck Plans and NCL Representatives

Midnight Blue

There are several posts buried in other threads in which people booked on upcoming sailings of the POA (mostly in suites, post refurbishment) are now discovering that the cabins they booked (and in many cases, have fully paid for) are not as they are represented on the POA online deck plans or consistent with what NCL representatives told them when they booked.

This thread is to share these discrepancies so that hopefully (1) NCL will realize the scope of the problem and fix the website descriptions and (2) so that anyone else booking a cruise on POA has this information to help them make a better decision about which cabin to choose.

And so, here's my issue:

I'm booked in 12006 (the Deluxe Owner's Suite) for the POA November 16 cruise. When I booked the room, the website description said that after the refurbishment, the suite would have two full bedrooms, one with a king bed and one with 2 twins. The floorplan, however, showed only 1 bedroom. The NCL rep I spoke with seemed very uncertain about whether it was one bedroom or two, but kept pointing to the website description which said 2 bedrooms. I called NCL a couple of times after that to try to get clearer information. Each time, the reps became very confused, but in the end, retreated to the fact that the website clearly says 2 bedrooms.

Final payment on the cruise has come and gone. Just a couple of days ago, I noticed on the NCL website that if I look up that room through my reservation, it says the suite is two full bedrooms, but if I act like I'm booking a new sailing, it says the suite is only 1 bedroom. My partner called NCL to try to find out which was correct. After a long wait, the rep finally came back on the line and said the suite is only 1 bedroom. After discussing the issue, my partner called NCL again to express our unhappiness because we were told multiple times before final payment that it would be two bedrooms (there are 3 of us traveling together). This time, the phone rep said we were "informed of what we were getting when we booked" and that NCL would do nothing for us. In fact, we were not informed about what we were getting because the NCL reps were so confused and always, in the end, relied on the website description. There are no adjoining rooms available on that cruise and nothing else remotely comparable we could move to. And we cannot change our plane tickets and work schedules to move to another week at this point.

This is my first NCL cruise, and I'm not impressed with the way the company is handling this -- especially given how much I've paid for this particular suite on this cruise. I'm not looking for a refund -- hell, I'd take a plate of the infamous chocolate dipped strawberries -- I'd just like to see some evidence that NCL realizes they've made a mistake that has, in fact, inconvenienced the people they are supposed to care about -- their passengers.

And so, here's my issue:

I'm booked in 12006 (the Deluxe Owner's Suite) for the POA November 16 cruise. When I booked the room, the website description said that after the refurbishment, the suite would have two full bedrooms, one with a king bed and one with 2 twins. The floorplan, however, showed only 1 bedroom. The NCL rep I spoke with seemed very uncertain about whether it was one bedroom or two, but kept pointing to the website description which said 2 bedrooms. I called NCL a couple of times after that to try to get clearer information. Each time, the reps became very confused, but in the end, retreated to the fact that the website clearly says 2 bedrooms.

Final payment on the cruise has come and gone. Just a couple of days ago, I noticed on the NCL website that if I look up that room through my reservation, it says the suite is two full bedrooms, but if I act like I'm booking a new sailing, it says the suite is only 1 bedroom. My partner called NCL to try to find out which was correct. After a long wait, the rep finally came back on the line and said the suite is only 1 bedroom. After discussing the issue, my partner called NCL again to express our unhappiness because we were told multiple times before final payment that it would be two bedrooms (there are 3 of us traveling together). This time, the phone rep said we were "informed of what we were getting when we booked" and that NCL would do nothing for us. In fact, we were not informed about what we were getting because the NCL reps were so confused and always, in the end, relied on the website description. There are no adjoining rooms available on that cruise and nothing else remotely comparable we could move to. And we cannot change our plane tickets and work schedules to move to another week at this point.

This is my first NCL cruise, and I'm not impressed with the way the company is handling this -- especially given how much I've paid for this particular suite on this cruise. I'm not looking for a refund -- hell, I'd take a plate of the infamous chocolate dipped strawberries -- I'd just like to see some evidence that NCL realizes they've made a mistake that has, in fact, inconvenienced the people they are supposed to care about -- their passengers.

Here is pic but i dont know how it will show up here

Edited by Ilovesailing

Here is pic but i dont know how it will show up here

Sorry hit wrong button, so here is the pic and also a discription

Private bedroom with king-size bed, walk-in closet, dining area for six, baby grand piano, powder room, private balcony, Jacuzzi, bathroom with whirlpool tub, separate shower, double vanity, dressing area, flat-screen television, cherry wood finished living room, Bang & Olufsen entertainment center, CD/DVD library, internet access, wet bar, refrigerator, safe, tea and coffee maker, phone.

Butler service and concierge available.

The above discription is for an SB

This one is for SC Deluxe owners suite

Private bedroom with king-size bed, walk-in closet, private balcony with sun beds and dining area, Jacuzzi tub, separate shower, double vanity, dressing area, flat-screen television, cherry wood finished living room, Bang & Olufsen entertainment center, CD/DVD library, internet access, wet bar, refrigerator, safe, tea and coffee maker, phone. (Staterooms 13000 and 13502 do not have hot tub on balcony.)

Cabin size ranges from 528 to 690 square feet with 185 to 280 square foot balconies.

On Decks: Deck 10 Deck 12 Deck 13 Deck 8

Hope it helps a bit, bottom line is I would send an email off to Keven Sheehan at ksheehan@NCL.com

America_FP_GrandSuite_A2.jpg.4bee1e12a7f0f53aef7043c78fae265c.jpg

Edited by Ilovesailing

The CURRENT description (it is September 20th, 2013) of the DOS, posted right next to the expandable Floor Plan above, on the POS Deck 12 Plan is:

"Living room, dining room, private balcony with hot tub and dining area, two separate bedrooms one a with king-size bed and walk-in-closet and one with two lower beds, baby grand piano, CD/DVD library, two TVs, luxury bath with whirlpool tub and separate shower and guest bathroom. Butler service and concierge available."

Living room, Dining room, and TWO SEPARATE BEDROOMS...

No wonder Midnight Blue is upset.

How many others are going to be equally upset because of the misrepresentation that continues on the public website?

NCL have had more than enough time to provide an ACCURATE description of this very expensive suite for *ALL* future travelers.

Note: We are not involved in this particular snafu, so we have no axe to grind here.

It was bad enough when other suites were described incorrectly, repeatedly, including to a travel agent. NCL have simply totally removed the "floor plan" for that suite! Not very helpful.

(We were told repeatedly that what became a Deluxe Penthouse Suite was "really" an Owner's Suite, and thus the price was a terrific bargain, because it was still pricing at the lower category. Except... it never was, and isn't, an Owner's Suite. It's a Deluxe Penthouse Suite. Or so it seems. Hard to know what is happening. We REALLY wanted a 'new' suite, and had MANY available to choose from when we made our reservation, but we just don't trust what is described to us by NCL by phone OR on the Deck Plan - especially on Deck 13.)

We suspect there are several different configurations, especially on Deck 13. (The outlines of the Suites are very different.)

Why not post the Floor Plan on the other decks if it hasn't changed?

And why not post correct Floor Plans, more than one if necessary, for Deck 13?

Presumably NCL knew the layout when the construction was arranged, and that was many, many weeks/months ago.

It doesn't need to be this difficult for NCL's paying customers.

And it shouldn't be!

GeezerCouple

I have to say....saw this coming 2 months ago. We were booked in a suite on the new Deck 13 for our family of 5. We booked Oct 2012, and paid a hefty price to begin with. I booked specifically told it was a two bedroom. Earlier in the summer, I've been checking the deck plans, photos, etc looking for something more concrete. Many calls to NCL by me and our TA only to learn that it was not a 2 bedroom as promised. We actually had to have an engineer look into it and check the blueprints.

Needless to say, I was not a happy camper, and my real issue was that no one at NCL would own the mistake! After several escalations, we hit a brick wall, and the best they would do is a refund at 100%, or a one category upgrade, which gave us the room next door, a slightly larger one bedroom for the five of us.

Well, I fired off a letter to many executives at NCL, and by the following day, my TA received a call from the personal assistant of the CEO, offering me an upgrade to the only SA they had left. (Only two on the ship). The price was 15K, but they comped the upgrade and offered their personal apologies, and owned the mistake, saying they were working on getting it corrected. I told my TA then that this was going to be big news for them once Sept 7 came around and people started realizing that they were not getting what they think they booked. Well, here we are....the proverbial poop is hitting the fan.

Now, we are Platinum members, and I must say, I am happy with how NCL has handled it...with us anyway. I would encourage anyone else faced with similar circumstances to continue to bark loud enough to get their attention. If there is something they can do, they should do it. In some cases, there simply may not be anything that can be done but a bottle of wine and a plate of strawberries, but at least that is something.

Re: our May 10 2014 Sailing.

Not happy, but I just got a call from NCL on Friday morning, where the rep (Kathryn) went over our class SD Suite ..you can tell that sh*t is hitting the fan.

We booked a year ago (end of October), their website then & still shows on our summary, a 2 bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms and she is telling us that's NOT what we are getting with 13502...rather a 461 square foot suite/cabin, comprised of: 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, a living/dining room ..... and 419 square foot balcony.

So now we have 4 adults...in... 1 king, a double murphy bed and double sleeper sofa. Not 2 bedrooms and only 1 bathroom. Kathryn told us the room we described is an SA class (owner's suite), not what we booked back a year ago which was an SD. We did not book or pay for the SA class suite, but we can upgrade to one (on another deck?) for an additional $5000. :(

Well... sadly we do not have another $5000, and the "PICTURE" on our cruise summary still shows a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom family suite. ..yes I just looked. How can they SHOW one thing and what you get is so totally different, false advertising..bait and switch?

Yesterday I received an 'informational' call from NCL. She wanted to make sure I understood that our cabin overlooks the pool. I asked her what cabin number she was showing for us. She said 13506. That's the correct one.

Told her we originally were going to upgrade to 13020 but then noticed it and 13022, 13522 and 13520 overlook the pool. Yes, she said those also overlook the pool. Then she said our view would be of the pool AND looking forward?

I have looked at the deck plans over & over. I have used the stairs and elevators as a reference point. I cannot figure out how we are overlooking the pool and looking forward.

We were excited about looking down from our balcony at beautiful clear blue water and watching for whatever kind of ocean life might swim by. Doesn't sound like that is going to happen. Should have stayed in the Large Balcony cabin (9022) that we originally booked. I'm regretting the big $ we spent to upgrade.

I really wish they would get their deck plans and cabin descriptions updated. Not that it would matter now since everything is paid for. But, it would be nice to know. Guess I'm spoiled by their other ships where what you see on the deck plans is what you get.

Edited by luvs2shop

As much as I hate to say this, I am a lawyer-- and while I'm not offering anyone legal advice, I will say NCL ought to take this seriously. It's a real problem when you sell someone one thing and then give them something else. Surely NCL doesn't want it's highest paying customers feeling deceived.

Come on, NCL. You made a mistake. You can still fix this by simply acknowledging that it happened and doing something -- anything-- for those impacted. You'll make money in the long run if you do because we'll be more inclined to sail with you again. If not... At best, you're losing some of your best paying customers, people who have proven they will pay top dollar for cruises.

As much as I hate to say this, I am a lawyer-- and while I'm not offering anyone legal advice, I will say NCL ought to take this seriously. It's a real problem when you sell someone one thing and then give them something else. Surely NCL doesn't want it's highest paying customers feeling deceived.

Come on, NCL. You made a mistake. You can still fix this by simply acknowledging that it happened and doing something -- anything-- for those impacted. You'll make money in the long run if you do because we'll be more inclined to sail with you again. If not... At best, you're losing some of your best paying customers, people who have proven they will pay top dollar for cruises.

Let us start by saying that this will be our first trip to Hawaii, and we are determined to enjoy it. (Is there such a thing as "compulsory fun"? ;-)

We know that the staff of POA are not responsible for this snafu.

However...

Here is the REAL problem, currently:

It is not a case of NCL "made a mistake". They CONTINUE to make the SAME "mistake".

As of today, September 21st, 2013, the online description of the POA Deluxe Owner's Suite STILL reads as follows:

"Living room, dining room, private balcony with hot tub and dining area, two separate bedrooms one a with king-size bed and walk-in-closet and one with two lower beds, baby grand piano, CD/DVD library, two TVs, luxury bath with whirlpool tub and separate shower and guest bathroom. Butler service and concierge available." (emphasis added)

There is simply no excuse for this whatsoever at this exceedingly late date. None.

They are inviting untold others to reserve that cabin under false advertising. That IS what it is, and it doesn't take an attorney to know that. But maybe, just maybe, if NCL now knows that they've got an attorney caught in this "error", they could MAYBE, finally, belatedly, fix the CURRENT public advertising?

And perhaps they could finally share this photo with their reps, who could then stop telling travel agentS that there is NOT any public area below, that it is simply a "roof" that is below/beyond the Deck 13 starboard and port suite balconies, and there would be NO "noise or privacy" issues at all.

The more we look at that photo of the exterior of Deck 13, the more we realize how enraged we would have been to show up, expecting NO public area below, nothing other than a "roof" of the deck below.

[Midnight Blue: We might have given you a good run for the money in the "anger" department, if the ship was about to sail as we found out. Not good.]

And since POA apparently doesn't tend to sail with lots of empty cabins, there probably wouldn't be anything else suitable.

Our cruise is to focus on HAWAII.

But while on the ship, we planned for some serious relaxation, and probably some serious time sitting on the balcony staring off at... water... islands... stars...

Not hearing and watching lots of others on an active/noisy deck immediately below.

And certainly not to be conscious of others above watching us!

(Yes, we studied the Deck Plans, to be sure that we avoided a situation like that - or so we thought. We were recently at a hotel with tiered balconies. Fortunately, there was no one above us, but we felt very awkward indeed whenever there were other Guests outside on the balcony below us, in plain sight. We usually just quietly backed away and went inside. No need to spoil their sense of solitude or privacy. But we lost some of ours.)

GeezerCouple

This is utterly inexcusable NCL!!!! :mad:

DH and I sailed on POA in May of 2009 in a BA cabin on Deck 11. It had a very nice, large balcony. I had sailed the previous year in a similar cabin with my Mumsie. Those cruises on POA cost a FORTUNE (to us) and the current pricing is also exorbitant, but we all had a blast.

I cannot believe the unprofessionalism and lack of ownership that is occurring here. They have to fix this! Personally, IMHO, if sometime booked a suite that was advertised as a two bedroom but turns out not to be, they need to be given a second cabin.

I love you NCL, but I feel a storm abrewin' and it's called Class Action LS! :eek:

This is utterly inexcusable NCL!!!! :mad:

DH and I sailed on POA in May of 2009 in a BA cabin on Deck 11. It had a very nice, large balcony. I had sailed the previous year in a similar cabin with my Mumsie. Those cruises on POA cost a FORTUNE (to us) and the current pricing is also exorbitant, but we all had a blast.

I cannot believe the unprofessionalism and lack of ownership that is occurring here. They have to fix this! Personally, IMHO, if sometime booked a suite that was advertised as a two bedroom but turns out not to be, they need to be given a second cabin.

I love you NCL, but I feel a storm abrewin' and it's called Class Action LS! :eek:

Yes, that may well happen .. but resolution could be years & years down the road...

Yes, that may well happen .. but resolution could be years & years down the road...

Yes, I agree. But heads need to roll on this. As another poster stated, blueprints and construction were in place when cabins were sold. Someone obviously dropped the ball big time. And where was the oversight? :confused::confused:

Yes, I agree. But heads need to roll on this. As another poster stated, blueprints and construction were in place when cabins were sold. Someone obviously dropped the ball big time. And where was the oversight? :confused::confused:

I don't know.. I just know we're affected by this................... we thought we were getting a 2 br and 2 bath suite and now we are getting something that may be as big square footage wise, but missing the extra bedroom and bathroom. Thank goodness there are only 4 of us (and 3 of us are immediate family-members) and the 4th is a friend of mine I've known for 25+ years so we are like sisters. I don't think there is going to be a problem.. we are not happy but we will make-do. It's just a bit annoying to look at our cruise summary and see this suite we're not getting waved in our faces, when we were told there is not even a suite anything like it on Deck 13, and ones like it are on other decks but are considered the higher priced owner suites. SIGH :( We have been saving since Oct 2012 and we are not 'rich' people, we can't just pull another $5k from the area where the sun doesn't shine.

Edited by CactusFlower527

Let us start by saying that this will be our first trip to Hawaii, and we are determined to enjoy it. (Is there such a thing as "compulsory fun"? ;-)

We know that the staff of POA are not responsible for this snafu.

However...

Here is the REAL problem, currently:

It is not a case of NCL "made a mistake". They CONTINUE to make the SAME "mistake".

As of today, September 21st, 2013, the online description of the POA Deluxe Owner's Suite STILL reads as follows:

"Living room, dining room, private balcony with hot tub and dining area, two separate bedrooms one a with king-size bed and walk-in-closet and one with two lower beds, baby grand piano, CD/DVD library, two TVs, luxury bath with whirlpool tub and separate shower and guest bathroom. Butler service and concierge available." (emphasis added)

There is simply no excuse for this whatsoever at this exceedingly late date. None.

They are inviting untold others to reserve that cabin under false advertising. That IS what it is, and it doesn't take an attorney to know that. But maybe, just maybe, if NCL now knows that they've got an attorney caught in this "error", they could MAYBE, finally, belatedly, fix the CURRENT public advertising?

And perhaps they could finally share this photo with their reps, who could then stop telling travel agentS that there is NOT any public area below, that it is simply a "roof" that is below/beyond the Deck 13 starboard and port suite balconies, and there would be NO "noise or privacy" issues at all.

The more we look at that photo of the exterior of Deck 13, the more we realize how enraged we would have been to show up, expecting NO public area below, nothing other than a "roof" of the deck below.

[Midnight Blue: We might have given you a good run for the money in the "anger" department, if the ship was about to sail as we found out. Not good.]

And since POA apparently doesn't tend to sail with lots of empty cabins, there probably wouldn't be anything else suitable.

Our cruise is to focus on HAWAII.

But while on the ship, we planned for some serious relaxation, and probably some serious time sitting on the balcony staring off at... water... islands... stars...

Not hearing and watching lots of others on an active/noisy deck immediately below.

And certainly not to be conscious of others above watching us!

(Yes, we studied the Deck Plans, to be sure that we avoided a situation like that - or so we thought. We were recently at a hotel with tiered balconies. Fortunately, there was no one above us, but we felt very awkward indeed whenever there were other Guests outside on the balcony below us, in plain sight. We usually just quietly backed away and went inside. No need to spoil their sense of solitude or privacy. But we lost some of ours.)

GeezerCouple

NCL owes these travelers an upgrade to a 2 bedroom cabin. IF that isn't possible as they are sold out, then they owe them a 2nd balcony cabin AND a large OBC for the inconvenience!

I'm traveling on business today, but tomorrow I'm going to try calling NCL's corporate office. I really suggest that everyone else impacted does the same and points out this thread to them.

If you do, please come back and let us know what happens. Knowledge is power....

And again, NCL -- you've got a chance to make this right. In the long run, you'll lose far more revenue from the bad publicity and lost suite customers than you'd spend in doing something to make this right.

Just got off the phone with NCL corporate guest relations (305-436-4000) The person I spoke with and explained the situation to put me on hold to speak with the precruise guest relations supervisor. After a bit of a wait, the rep came back and told me the following:

• The executive office is aware of our situation and has acknowledged it is a problem.
  • The executive office is in the process of deciding what "resolution" would be offered to those of us who were told we were getting 2 bedroom suites but are not.
  • NCL will call us to let us know.
  • The rep did not know when the calls would start, but that these are different from the "informational" calls that already have been made to some people.

I told her that at this point, I didn't have a lot of faith and trust in NCL and I would be calling back every week at least until I heard from NCL. I referenced the thread here on CruiseCritic and told them they have a very serious problem they need to take care of quickly.

I really encourage anyone else in this situation to also call NCL corporate, to help keep them moving forward with a solution.

Well, progress may be glacially slow, but it is now SEPTEMBER 24th, 2013, many months after the dry dock (and probably more than a year from approval of construction plan approval), and - importantly - more than two weeks after paying customers actually sailed in these new suites (and who knows how many have reserved AND PAID for future cruises - and perhaps incurred other related expenses such as airfare, etc.):

Finally, the online description of the Deluxe Owners Suite bears some semblance to reality:

"Living room with double sofa bed, baby grand piano, CD/DVD library, two TVs, dining room, private balcony with hot tub and dining area, separate bedroom with king-size bed and walk-in-closet, luxury bath with whirlpool tub and separate shower and guest bathroom. Butler service and concierge available."

Finally, no mention of the phantom second bedroom.

(I'm not sure the still-listed single "separate bedroom" would qualify under any realistic understanding of "SEPARATE bedroom", because the floor plan doesn't show any type of divider whatsoever from the living/dining room areas, but certainly the floor plan could still be incorrect. Bed appears to be a couple of feet from the DR table. At least the bathroom does seem to have a proper wall/door type divider :eek: And having trouble finding that "walk in closet" - the guest bathroom, perhaps?)

IT TOOK LONG ENOUGH.

GeezerCouple

Just got off the phone with NCL corporate guest relations (305-436-4000) The person I spoke with and explained the situation to put me on hold to speak with the precruise guest relations supervisor. After a bit of a wait, the rep came back and told me the following:

• The executive office is aware of our situation and has acknowledged it is a problem.
  • The executive office is in the process of deciding what "resolution" would be offered to those of us who were told we were getting 2 bedroom suites but are not.
  • NCL will call us to let us know.
  • The rep did not know when the calls would start, but that these are different from the "informational" calls that already have been made to some people.

I told her that at this point, I didn't have a lot of faith and trust in NCL and I would be calling back every week at least until I heard from NCL. I referenced the thread here on CruiseCritic and told them they have a very serious problem they need to take care of quickly.

I really encourage anyone else in this situation to also call NCL corporate, to help keep them moving forward with a solution.

Okay.

NCL "made a mistake" (and KEPT making it, and then failed to correct it in a timely fashion).

However, mistakes DO get made. By ALL of us.

What matters? HOW THE MISTAKE IS DEALT WITH.

One of our very favorite billboards contained the following saying, one too often ignored by those who have (or should have) "Customer Service" staffing:

There is only one thing Customers remember better than Good Service.

Bad Service.

So true.........

C'mon, NCL. DO THE RIGHT THING FOR YOUR CUSTOMERS.

(Again, we, thank goodness, are NOT affected by this. But for those who are, it is unimaginable how you've treated them!)

Geezer Couple

Holy crap. I just looked at my reservation and they now have me in an Owner's Suite with Large Balcony-- NOT the Deluxe Owner's Suite. (Although they do still have the correct cabin number 12006.) The Owner's Suite is 1/2 the size of the room I booked... back on the phone...

let us know how this turns out ... if you still have the same suite #, does this just mean they had it labeled incorrectly all along?:confused:

let us know how this turns out ... if you still have the same suite #, does this just mean they had it labeled incorrectly all along?:confused:

So Guest Services (had to be transferred to two different people before someone could "help" me) says they have no idea why the Owner's Suite description and photo is what now shows up on my reservation. They *promise* that I do have 12006, and that is the Deluxe Owner's Suite that is 1,382 square feet. I told them that surely they could understand why I don't have a great deal of faith in NCL right now given that I now have TWO issues with my suite. I also noted that they are getting some bad publicity on Cruise Critic, that at least some of their customers feel they've been deceived (not a good thing) and that they really need to do something sooner rather than later to fix this.

They promise a supervisor will call me.