Can't believe some of WindStar's pricing

lovecruisingtoo

A month or so ago I was looking at the Land's of the Midnight Sun cruise on the Star Legend (August 2015). At the time the price was $5,500 (Balcony Suite) for the 11 night cruise (which I considered expensive at the time). Now they have deleted the Copenhagen to Reykjavik cruise (assume it was chartered) and upped the price of the Reykjavik to Copenhagen cruise to $6,400 for the BS cabin. Even the Ocean View Suite is $5,100. When I called WS a month ago they said that there were NO BS cabins booked on the Reykjavik to Copenhagen cruise.

Considering the reviews we have seen on the Star Pride, there is no way we are paying about $600 per night per person for the Legend. WindStar will survive with that type of pricing - especially considering that WS is not all inclusive. We have sailed on WS about 6 or 7 times and will never pay this type of price for WS.

Edited by lovecruisingtoo

A month or so ago I was looking at the Land's of the Midnight Sun cruise on the Star Legend (August 2015). At the time the price was $5,500 (Balcony Suite) for the 11 night cruise (which I considered expensive at the time). Now they have deleted the Copenhagen to Reykjavik cruise (assume it was chartered) and upped the price of the Reykjavik to Copenhagen cruise to $6,400 for the BS cabin. Even the Ocean View Suite is $5,100. When I called WS a month ago they said that there were NO BS cabins booked on the Reykjavik to Copenhagen cruise.

Considering the reviews we have seen on the Star Pride, there is no way we are paying about $600 per night per person for the Legend. WindStar will survive with that type of pricing - especially considering that WS is not all inclusive. We have sailed on WS about 6 or 7 times and will never pay this type of price for WS.

Are these pp or cabin prices? Having sailed several times on the Legend when Seabourn owned it we were paying around $2,400 to $2,800 pp for 7 night cruises and of course that was all inclusive. Watch for large discounts as they need to fill the ships. One last thing we loved the Legend and everything about it as we love the Windstar ships. Time will tell how the triplets will fare under the management of WS.

I think it will take a while for Windstar to completely figure out pricing on their new ships - just part of the growing pains that they will need to address.

I did check Seabourn since I am not familiar with their pricing at all. I found three 11-night cruises during the June, July & August time period. All three were Mediterranean cruises with pricing from $6,999 for OV to $7,699 for Veranda suite. Of course, this pricing is all-inclusive. So, it appears that if you were to add in tips and drink package to the Windstar Star Legend's pricing it would actually be pretty comparable for an 11-night cruise.

The other issue of the reviews for Star Pride - some (not all) of the issues seem to stem from the condition of the ship - worn decking, dirty awnings, etc. - which would be holdover issues from Seabourn. Hopefully, Windstar will be addressing these issues and taking corrective actions. I will be following the Pride's reviews since I am scheduled to board the Star Legend next June.

To answer Wandering Wino's question, the price is PER PERSON.

I suspect what happened was that they chartered the Copenhagen to Reykjavik cruise and they figured that they could significantly raise the return cruise price because of the reduced "inventory" and it being a new itinerary.

With the "average" reviews of the Pride, there is no way I am paying over $6K per person (plus fees, tips and drinks) for an 11 day Windstar cruise. Maybe they are trying to see how "elastic" the pricing is for the ships and are willing to either sail with empty cabins or dump them for a low price at the last minute. Time will tell but they will lose loyal customers if they take that approach.