Ryndam Caribbean itinerary?

SeaWatch

One reason I like cruising is the ability to experience places I haven't been to before, without having to commit to the time and expense of flights, hotels, transfers, etc. So an itinerary with two new ports seems very attractive in principle to me. (And I suppose that with the large fraction of HAL cruisers who are repeaters, to others as well.) I also like ports where I can experience the local culture and geography rather than shops and resorts designed specifically for cruise passengers. However, I also prefer ports where there are activities I enjoy and facilities that, well, facilitate my enjoyment, whether they be clean and safe beaches, hikes through the jungle, walking around on my own to see historical sites and to observe and experience how the local people live, sampling local foods at restaurants frequented by locals, etc. Based on initial reports from cruisers who have been to the two new ports, it seems like they are not well equipped to handle the influx of cruise passengers, that shore excursions are (mostly?) limited to those sold through the cruise lines, and that there are concerns about safety and cleanliness. All these factors mean that interacting as equals with local people or participating in an interesting activity won't be likely to occur at these ports.

Overall, I am willing to give it a try to see for myself. If I don't like it, I will still have a new experience and have learned something about the destinations. And the rest of the cruise will still be enjoyable.

What are your thoughts on the Ryndam Caribbean itinerary, especially Guatemala and Honduras (Banana Coast).

Trying to decide between this and a traditional Caribbean ( which I have done before)

As always, thanks CC cruisers!

We have done a number of "traditional Caribbean cruises", so this time, Feb 2015 we have booked the Ryndam Western Caribbean Cruise. The one that travels to Guatemala and Honduras. We have visited Guatemala from the other side, Puerto Quetzal.

DH & I are both looking forward to a change in itinerary and scenery!

What are your thoughts on the Ryndam Caribbean itinerary, especially Guatemala and Honduras (Banana Coast).

Trying to decide between this and a traditional Caribbean ( which I have done before)

As always, thanks CC cruisers!

We did this before we did the "traditional" Caribbean :) AFAIK "Banana Coast" is a purpose-built place for the cruise ships. Haven't been there yet.

In Guatemala we docked in Santo Tomas de Castillo (sp?) and were treated very well. Big signage directing the cruisers, a nice area to shop for local crafts, and barricades keeping pedestrians separated from traffic at the port. Lots of leather goods and textiles in the port shopping area, which is indoors and set up rather like a church sale ;) Everyone in the area (locals) were very friendly and helpful.

DH and I decided to do an excursion here as the research indicated (at that time) that heading out on our own was not a great idea. You need to research current info on that.

I'd go back to Santo Tomas if it was on an itinerary I wanted to do, but would not seek it out as a primary destination for a cruise.

We too booked this cruise because it offers three ports that we have not been to. I am enjoying the challenge of doing research on things to do in these towns that are not offered Holland America. Very excited to be on the Ryndam for the New Years Cruise.

We had a wonderful time in Guatemala (both sides). "Go with Gus" treated us very well. From Santo Thomas we "Climbed the waterfalls" which also lets you swim in the wonderful cool fresh water.

It's funny - after our visit at Santo Thomas, we were raving about the port call while many people who took a "City tour" had nothing good to say at all.

If the cruise includes Belize, look for a private tour that goes "Cave tubing." That was one of our top shore tours ever.

Haven't been to Honduras yet as the one time we were supposed to go to Roatan the ship couldn't dock due to high winds.

Would love to do this cruise on Ryndam (one of our favorite ships) but it doesn't look too likely right now.