Colon to Airport

whoareyou2000

We will be disembarking off Vision of the Seas in Colon. Does anyone know about transportation options...cab or private car...from Colon to Panama City airport. How long, availability and cost would be helpful. We are considering the ship transfers, but not certain they will get us there on time for an early afternoon flight even with a 6:30 arrival time in the morning.

Tim

If you can use a ship transfer, that would the easiest option. I know many times the cruise line won't accept you for their transfer if the departure time isn't until after the noon hour. I don't know what the policy is for Colon, but I would think that if your plane doesn't depart until after 1PM or later you should be able to use the ship transfer. In normal traffic allow about 1.5 hours to get to the airport (Tocumen PTY). As a last resort you should be able to get a cab from the pier. I don't have any personal knowledge on the cost, but I have read elsewhere on this board the cost of a cab to the airport would run about $75.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim,

I'm in the same boat! Well, not literally. :D We'll be on the Vision just a couple of weeks after you, so I'd love to hear about your experiences and any advice you may have! I'm researching each of the islands, and getting quite excited...

I made note of another recommendation for a taxi to/from the port, which I read from another review here on CruiseCritic. It was for Miguel Angel Espino , email: memespino at gmail dot com. Cell: 00 507 6531 0821 Not sure if that is helpful, but I noted it down because the reviewer had a good experience with him.

We are planning to do a taxi service, and even wing it within an unknown driver since my husband is a native Spanish speaker and we're not too concerned about the language issue...Everything I've read says to plan at least 45 minutes for the ride back - potentially up to 1.5 hours depending on the day/time of day, as traffic gets pretty bad.

Good luck! Look forward to hearing about your trip!

I used My Friend Mario for a tour and I noticed on the web site that they do offer transfers. I found the company organized. They had a list of everyone for their tours. Many people from my roll call used them for different tours and I only heard good things. I did not use them for a transfer but I would.

We will be disembarking off Vision of the Seas in Colon. Does anyone know about transportation options...cab or private car...from Colon to Panama City airport. How long, availability and cost would be helpful. We are considering the ship transfers, but not certain they will get us there on time for an early afternoon flight even with a 6:30 arrival time in the morning.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
Wow!! I can't believe that there are not any persons that have done this or need to deal with this to provide some good suggestions. Maybe everyone is just getting back into action after Christmas.

Looking for some assistance.

Tim

Hi Tim, We are in the same "boat" as you!! Going on the vision on 2/15 (when are u sailing?) We are in the midst of the same thing..rc does not offer any good options in their shore excursions, one with shopping which we are not interested in. We have never been to Panama (we r from NY) so wanted to see the area before flying out at 4pm. Just found a tour including locks and airport transfer that we are considering. What time is your flight? We could share costs if you would be interested in a tour before going to airport. Let me know!

Hi Tim, We are in the same "boat" as you!! Going on the vision on 2/15 (when are u sailing?) We are in the midst of the same thing..rc does not offer any good options in their shore excursions, one with shopping which we are not interested in. We have never been to Panama (we r from NY) so wanted to see the area before flying out at 4pm. Just found a tour including locks and airport transfer that we are considering. What time is your flight? We could share costs if you would be interested in a tour before going to airport. Let me know!

Hello. We are a month after you on the March 15 cruise departure. We will be staying in Panama for a conference the week prior to the cruise and have selected Gamboa Tours to provide our transportation to/from the port.

Hello. We are a month after you on the March 15 cruise departure. We will be staying in Panama for a conference the week prior to the cruise and have selected Gamboa Tours to provide our transportation to/from the port.

What are the cost of the shuttle? And can you pick your time?

• 3 weeks later...

I did that cruise twice and used MyFriendMario for transportation, which was arranged before the cruise. The driver was there waiting for us when we got off the ship both times and I want to say it was about 45 minutes to an hour to get to the airport. Just allow for traffic just in case!