Sailing from New York...too cold in March??

kvickers

I am considering cruising on the Breakaway for March Break 2016. Although the ship looks great and the price is decent (better than flights to FLA) I'm a little concerned about the temperature/weather sailing from NY at that time of year. Does anyone have any experience with this that you can share to help me make the decision?

It will probably be too cool for pools or outdoor stuff on boarding day....March is an "iffy" month around here...it can be "iffy" until late May!

You should be hitting great weather by the next morning, tho...hopefully, you're going to the Caribbean, and not Bermuda or Bahamas....they are not Caribbean ports.

Edited by cb at sea

I agree with the above post. Iv been out of Baltimore more then once and New York in Feb last year n the first day is cold ( there was snow on the deck!)!and by the next day we were in shorts! Just some food for thought, the one time we left Flordia in late February I got so sick.... I swear it was because of the shock of the change in weather to my body all at once!

We sailed Breakaway out of NY in November expecting cool/cold weather on boarding day but assumed we'd be in warmer weather by the next day and unfortunately it was still cold, windy and rainy until we made it to FL. We had a similar situation on the return to NY.. Last sea day was a wash for outdoor activities.

If you are okay with taking advantage of indoor activities, then you'll be fine but it was difficult to enjoy the kids upper deck activities like ropes course, mini golf and bungee trampoline due to the cold and wind.

I'm not sure I'd cruise out of a northern port with kids in winter again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

We were looking at a couple of options, and since there are 6 of us, flying is too expensive (we drove from Ottawa to Austin last summer). So we narrowed it down to a 4 day cruise out of Florida, a 5 day cruise out of Charleston SC or a 7 day cruise out of Baltimore. With the extra day or two drive needed in both directions (and associated hotel costs) the 7 day out of Baltimore was the same price (or even a little less expensive). We are counting on having at least one cold day in each direction, but a cold day on the Cruise should be better than a cold day driving.

Joey