One more Tortola question

gschwartz001

My DH and I will be in Tortola in July from 8-4pm on NCL on a Wed. We enjoy snorkeling, and have never been to Tortola before.

We could go on ships excursion, however, I prefer not to. What are our best independent options? Is snorkeling good in Tortola or should we go to Baths? If Baths, what is best way to plan the day on our own?

I know there is info in a lot of threads, but it is difficult as it appears to vary based on dates and times. Thanks.

Hi, I am not sure if you are aware but they are improving the pier so all ships are tendering so there is essentially less time in port. So if you are going further than cane garden bay etc I would factor that in

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Baths are a unique experience and so are highly recommended. You can see videos on YouTube and decide if that's for you. More an exploration experience than a snorkeling experience unless you go further from the rocks.

For snorkeling you have a couple great options right on Tortola - Smuggler's Cove and Brewers Bay. Because Smuggler's has no amenities Brewers is your best choice and the snorkeling is reported to be very good there. There's one beach bar (Nicole's) serving drinks and a great burger and renting shairs and snorkel gear.

• 1 month later...
Hi, I am not sure if you are aware but they are improving the pier so all ships are tendering so there is essentially less time in port. So if you are going further than cane garden bay etc I would factor that in

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My understanding is that ship will be able to dock in April, so no tendering will be required for the OP. We are there on April 27th, so I'm not sure how ours will be.

Edited by willise

What is the best way to get to baths from the ship? How long does the Baths adventure typically take? I would like to plan this independently. We will be cruising on NCL's Escape during NYE!

Several threads describe the ferry options and pricing and sights. Just walk to the terminal and choose the ferry that works that particular day (Sunday has less options, for example). Allow a few hours to get to the Baths and back and if time enjoy lunch at the Top, the Mineshaft Cafe, or Bath & Turtle in town.

I know there is info in a lot of threads, but it is difficult as it appears to vary based on dates and times. Thanks.

Some threads are older and some actually contain misinformation. But the info on the ferry schedules is still current, and because they differ on some days it's time consuming to keep posting that info. But you can go to Speedy's and Smith's sites to see what best fits your time in port. Sometimes it pays to take 1 there and the other back for an extra $10pp to maximize your time and enjoyment. These ferries depart from the terminal near the cruise dock and go to VG, while the Horizon ferry out of West End goes to JVD and there's a 20 minute taxi each way for that one.

Hi Willise. I hope the pier is completed in time for your cruise. I have also read that the port authority is supplementing the ships tenders with 2 big "people mover" craft so it's a really slick operation even if you have to tender. All good. Tortola is a great addition to an itinerary and the beautiful sail away is an added bonus.