Something to do without an Excursion

cruzinlisa

This will be our second time going to Roatan. We are going via RCCL- Liberty of the Seas. Last trip we did Victor Bodden's tour. It was good and we enjoyed it, but I am not really interested in doing it again. I don't really want to do a pricey cruise line excursion either. I don't zipline or snorkel and already had an Island tour once. Is there beach nearby that we can go to (cab or walk- whatever). I had heard that Carnival's pier is right by a beach area, but not sure about RCCL. I don't necessarily want this to just be a ship day, but I am at a loss for what to do.

RCCL docks in Coxen Hole. There are a couple of bars/restaurants along the water front near the port. Some shops in town. But to get anywhere with a good beach you'll need to take a taxi. If you don't want to go to West Bay or West End, Las Palmas across the main road from the airport would be the closest "resort" to go to.

• 2 weeks later...

You will have to take a taxi from Coxen Hole to get a good beach. The port area of Coxen Hole has a few shops and a flea market across the street. A couple of restaurants and that's about it.

Victor Bodden has other options besides his island tour. We loved our island tour with him. Perhaps email him for some other suggestions and pricing.

I have the same situation except will be on Carnival. Are there better beach options near the dock for Carnival ships?

Carnival docks at Mahogany Bay, which it built and owns. It has a large shopping area, a free beach, and things you can pay for like kayak or paddleboat rentals, ziplines, etc. If you want to do a private excursion, you have to exit out of the port area.