Hilo: Best Beach/Best Waterfalls

ajtraveler66

Have been to the Big Island twice. Loved the Volcanoes National Park/Thurston Lava Tube....but... on this cruise I want to savor the water (beaches/waterfalls).

That being said, for those of you have been to the Big Island, what would you recommend that I do? No cruise ship tour seems to limit itself solely to beaches and waterfalls.

Perhaps renting a car? A reliable tour company that tailors to specific needs for cruisers?

What are the must see easily accessible waterfalls? What about a good beach in the Hilo area?

We went to the Punaluu black sand beach which is about 45 mins further from VNP. Very unique black sand, and sea turtles hanging out near the rocks to feed. I don't know to swim so couldn't snorkel and thought would miss out on seeing the sea turtles but was lucky to see them standing on the rock under which they were feeding.

There will be car rental reps as you exit the port building. Harper's Car Rental is closer than the airport and they have a shuttle at the port. You can reserve a vehicle by calling the number on their website. The falls are lovely!