How long in Bruges

ade99

Hi

Am trying to organise a Sunday visit to Bruges next month arrive at 07:00 and we leave at 15:00. I am trying to book the taxi and not sure how long it takes to get there and how long I should plan on staying. Any suggestions?

Are you going on Eurostar? I would advise you go from Ebbsfleet rather than Ashford and Operation Stack has been a complete pain for several weeks. It bungs up all the roads between Maidstone and Ashford. If you are planning on driving I think you may be taking a chance as the tunnel has been shut several times of late and getting to Dover has been almost impossible due to the aforementioned Operation Stack.

I went there as part of a weekend RCI tour in May and had a lovely day. Everying was open. Had the most amazing Chocolate covered waffle! We had around 4 hours there and could have spent a bit longer. Its a lovely town. I would like to go again.

This is a taxi from Bruges back to your ship in Zeebrugge port, yes?

It's about 11 miles, 30 minutes.

I reckon it pretty pointless to arrange a taxi to Bruges before about 8.30am

Mid-afternoon on a sunday you should experience no traffic delays for the return, but who knows? And who knows whether the driver will be late / fail to show?

So as a minimum I'd allow a full hour.

A 3pm sailing very probably means a "back-on-board" time of 2.30, so I'd plan a departure time of 1.30pm.

Which doesn't give you a lot of time in Bruges, but certainly time for a canal boat-ride if the weather's fine (they're open boats), a wander round the cobbled streets & shops (only the non-touristy stationery shops, chemists etc will be closed on a sunday), and a leisurely beer/coffee or two.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Hi

Am trying to organise a Sunday visit to Bruges next month arrive at 07:00 and we leave at 15:00. I am trying to book the taxi and not sure how long it takes to get there and how long I should plan on staying. Any suggestions?

This was exactly our situation. JB sums things up well. We ordered a taxi (€50 each way in 2013) for 7.30 and were in the ghost town of Bruges about 20 minutes later. If you wish to climb to the top of the belfry do that as soon as you can (say around 9) as we couldn't be sure we had enough time for the slowish-moving queue which had built up by noon and didn't risk it. (Our return taxi was set for 1.30 so we were home by 2)

The canal boat rides start at 10 and last about 30 minutes. I think it was €7 pp. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]BFvq9gLib7I[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]-JiNWDXDlxU[/YOUTUBE]

• 2 weeks later...

We will be there on a Sunday as well. Is it necessary to arrange a taxi ahead of time? Do you have a recommendation for how to do that? We think the shore excursions won't leave us time to explore on our own. Thanks for any help.

We will be there on a Sunday as well. Is it necessary to arrange a taxi ahead of time? Do you have a recommendation for how to do that? We think the shore excursions won't leave us time to explore on our own. Thanks for any help.

Yes, book your taxi. We used Taxi Snel, €50 each way.