Did anyone sail from England to Lisbon in 2011?

whatnot

I know there was a cruise from some port in England to Lisbon in 2011 as a repositioning from the Baltic to the Med. Did anyone on this board take that cruise? Seems like I remember that someone did but i can't find it.

We and 3 other couples are booked on the cruise from Dover to Lisbon in late August and early September 2014. We would love to know what others thought about it. We also find it interesting that the price has dropped on that cruise and it is over a year out.

We did a b2b on SDI from Amsterdam to Lisbon in 2011. We sailed past Dover, but our only British port was Jersey. It was our first European cruise on SD and we loved it. Our ports were Caen, Jersey, St. Malo, Belle Ile, La Rochelle, Bordeaux (the change port between the two cruises), St. Jean de Luz, Santander, Oviedo, Vigo, Cascais and the Lisbon. Cascais was a special treat. it was supposed to be only a stop for passengers who were biking to Lisbon to get off the ship, but it was also the site of the America's Cup prelim races. The boats, during their practice runs, were as close as 200 feet from us.

We sailed from July 30 to August 13 and I remember the weather being great. We ate dinner on deck nearly every night. The Channel was calm, but the Bay of Biscay got choppy.

We didn't do the excursion to Mont St. Michel because we had been there before, but if you can go, don't miss it. Another must see is the new Guggenheim museum in Bilbao (the Santander stop). The art was not our taste, but the building by Frank Gehry was incredible.

There was a good mix of passengers, and I don't remember a single child aboard.

Thanks Zimmy!

I knew someone had done a similar cruise, just forgot it was out of Amsterdam!

Thanks for your port tips. We do leave out of Dover and stop in Jersey,St Malo, Belle Ile, La Rochelle, Bordeaux, San Sebastian, Santander, Vigo, Cascais and end of course in Lisbon. It is an 11 day cruise and we are excited about it. We wanted to book it in 2012 but the Baltic cruises got canceled so we hope this one happens. We have traveled all over France by land but the Atlantic coast is an area we have not seen and of course those northwest ports in Spain and Portugal are exciting too!

Was the yacht full? Just asking because they have already dropped the price over a year out.

May have more questions for you as we get closer to August of 2014.

It was actually DH who answered your original post, but he's out of town so I'll jump in. Yes, the yacht was full, both weeks. Our voyage was advertised as a food and wine voyage, so they offered lunches at Michelin starred restaurants at each port. We didn't do them, because we wanted to visit sites (or do nothing) rather than eat for three hours in the middle of the day. But we did do an oyster tasting excursion at Belle Isle where they took us to a lovely boutique hotel right on the water and we sat on the balcony and ate fresh oysters and drank champagne. Wonderful! And from one of the ports (can't remember which) they offered an excursion to the Hennessey plant, which was so interesting, particularly since we didn't really know much about cognac, which I now have a new appreciation for. It is a fabulous itinerary.

It is difficult to figure out SD's pricing and when they have a price drop. There was also a price drop on our Norway fiords cruise for July 2014. But we've been on Caribbean cruises which had several price drops, and yet the ship is always almost full. I've never been on a SD voyage which has been only half full, as some of you have experienced.

We were on the sailing Amsterdam to Bordeaux - it was AWESOME!

So now I'm trying to figure out who you are. There was a wonderful passenger mix on that voyage! In fact, we are doing the Panama Canal/Costa Rica voyage with a couple we met on that cruise who were also doing a back-to-back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...