Ketchikan in September

Megan01

Hi, I've done Alaska before but this this time I'm taking my husband who has not. He's doing a float plane trip in Ketchikan and I've been on this before so wanting to do something different. Currently I've booked Totem Bight and the lumberjack show through the ship but am really not sure. I'd like to see totem poles and nature but hate bus tours. We plan to meet up when he's done the tour of the Misty Fjords for the remainder of our day but not sure if I should hop a bus somewhere or stay put and see the totem museum and creek street although we could likely do that when he's done his tour. He's done at 2 and ship leaves at 6. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One of our friends did Totem Bight and thoroughly enjoyed it, when we were in AK last September, we did the crab fest, and REALLY enjoyed it. Our cabin mate went zip lining. Said it was very exciting, and he has no urge to do it ever again.

• 3 weeks later...

Through my research I've found that you can take the public Silver Line North bus for $2 to Totem Bight, which is free. The bus leaves the corner of Dock and Front Streets at 26 minutes after each hour and is a 24 minute ride to the park. There is an easy historical park trail that leads you from the paved parking lot through all of the totems as well as some nice views of the Tongas Narrows where you can possibly see marine life such as seals and whales. Next door is Potlatch Park, also free. Potlatch features a recreated Alaskan native village. The returning bus leaves at 13 minutes after each hour. https://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/ketchikan-02-26-2014.pdf has more information as well as maps.

We took the silver line last week and it worked great. It is a city bus, so you will see locals using it as well.

Totem Bight is worth the $2 fare, plus the $5 cost to get into Totem Bight. This fee is new. It is just gorgeous. You can easily do it in an hour. Well worth the cost. We did this on our own, very easy to do. Just find the bus stop across from Tongass store #3, and you'll get there. When we came back, we walked around Creek Street on our own, saw some seals.

Also, I would highly recommend the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center. I believe we got in for free because of our National Parks Pass. It's close to the port. They also have a Tongass Historical Museum up by creek street but only had one room open when we were there. They charged $3 to get in. I believe they said the construction would be done by the Spring. It was a beautiful exhibit and they have nice, clean bathrooms. lol. You can catch a bus at the port to get up there, but we found it to be a very nice walk.