Coeliac

jock804

On the 20 October, next month, my DW and I are scheduled to sail on the Serenade out of Boston repositioning to Fort Lauderdale, weather permitting !!

However my other half has a more pressing issue. She has just been diagnosed with Coeliac and is concerned in relation to all things, food/drink.

Obviously her diet as she has known it for 57 years is now assigned to the food bin and is having to learn her new diet with some urgency.

My question is, how sympathic are RCCL in meeting the need of someone with such dietary needs ?

Also is there a point of contact that I can inform prior to the date of departure ?

All information and advice will be great received.

Hello,

My DW and S are both gluten free. We sailed on Serenade last week. Service was fantastic. The MDR will take great care of you. Windjammer has a limited gluten free section. A word of advise is to be careful in any buffet type setting. Cross contamination is very real. If you have any concerns always ask one of the staff dressed like officers. They have the answers and can get you anything you need.

Finally, it's nowhere near as difficult to get feed as it was ten years ago.

Happy Cruising!

Sensitivities to gluten can be wide-ranging. Since she has just been diagnosed, she should consult with her doctor regarding the severity of her condition and her sensitivity to cross contamination. Some with her condition must maintain a strict gluten-free diet where no cross-contamination can occur at all, and others could eat the filling out of a pie, for example, leaving the crust, and be just fine. She should have some idea of where she falls on that spectrum.

No matter her circumstances though, inform Royal Caribbean of the dietary restriction, and she'll be just fine. When we traveled with someone with celiac recently, the waiter would bring her the next day's menu each evening at dinner, and she would pick out what she wanted. They were then able to prepare just about any menu item for her as a gluten-free item for the next evening (in addition to a number of already identified gluten-free items on every menu.

Contact special_needs@rccl.com and inform them of the dietary restrictions.

I second this. Let them know as soon as possible, so they have a record of this. Also I have seen a stand on day 1 with coeliac safe products with head dinning room staff there to talk through it.

Coeliac disease is an auto immune condition, not a sensitivity. So no wheat, barley or rye. Also cross contamination is a concern as any small amount if these proteins cause an inflammatory response. I fully sympathise, I was diagnosed later in live, and it's a hard adjustment. I found though stating you are coeliac and not just gluten free, people will ask more about it because in restaurants (not on board) most staff will ask it depends how sensitive you are.

Happy cruising and hope you guys get on well.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Forums mobile app

Definitely contact them in advance, but follow it up with the head waiter when you board too. They are great at adjusting meals in the MDR, with notice. You can also take your own pre-packaged gluten free snacks on board if you want too.