Upgrades

Coolgran

We have been on 15 cruises on the QE2 and have been upgraded twice, I have no idea why. We choose our cabin quite carefully in the M4

catagory and do not even think about being upgraded(nice if it happens of course) but reading the boards a lot of people seem to spend a lot of time trying to work out the best way to get an upgrade, WHY:confused:

I think you see that there is a separate thread here about how to get an upgrade or how the system works. You are correct in that there appears to be some (many?) who play the game of trying to be upgraded by booking a lower class and especially a guarantee. However, I still don't believe there is a system in place and upgrades are just a function of cabins sold and generally the passenger loads. One class may simply be oversold while there are some spaces left in a higher class. However, if a ship is completely sold maybe there is no chance for an upgrade. Guarantees are just a guarantee of a minimum grade of cabin selection and thus you could go higher but some have also just received that minimum cabin level.

Like you, I book aiming for what I would like to stay in during the length of the cruise. I've never been upgraded but would consider it a pleasant surprise if it did happen. I just would not book a trip expecting one to happen or I'd certainly be disappointing myself.

Why do some book expecting an upgrade? Well, I simply think its the mass amount of messages on these boards from people who have been upgraded. There is this false assumption that it happens easily and all the time and now all you see is conjectures on how the upgrade system works. Its not just on the Cunard threads but across all the lines.

David

Why do some book expecting an upgrade? Well, I simply think its the mass amount of messages on these boards from people who have been upgraded. There is this false assumption that it happens easily and all the time and now all you see is conjectures on how the upgrade system works. Its not just on the Cunard threads but across all the lines.

David

We booked a GTY because there were no cabins available for our chosen category. We actually had no choice at the time of booking. This is the first time this has ever happened to us (we are in a Princess Grill category). I woud not expect to get anything higher than one of the Princess Grill cabins. In a perfect world, they would take past cruisers into consideration and bump them up into a higer category to place a GTY passenger into their chosen category of cabin.

It (for us) was a terrible choice. As soon as we got on the ship, we actually tried to get a different cabin. The location was very bad, because it wasn't near steps or elevators. We wanted to move, made it clear that downsizing was an option and would not expect any refund. This was impossible. So, downgrades and upgrades are equally difficult

--Judy

In a perfect world, they would take past cruisers into consideration and bump them up into a higher category to place a GTY passenger into their chosen category of cabin.

On out last trip, the only time I've ever booked a Guarantee Cabin. The offer was only available to past passengers and it looked like all those who'd booked a Mauretania Guarantee were upgraded to the Caronia, Caronia Guarantees were upgraded to the Britannia Grill and Princess Guarantees were allocated the Princess Grill. I didn't meet anyone who'd booked a Queens Grill Guarantee so I don't know what happened to them.

Oops --I just read over my last post and realized that I goofed up royally when I tried to edit it. It should have read (in italics)

We booked a GTY because there were no cabins available for our chosen category. We actually had no choice at the time of booking. This is the first time this has ever happened to us (we are in a Princess Grill category). I woud not expect to get anything higher than one of the Princess Grill cabins. In a perfect world, they would take past cruisers into consideration and bump them up into a higer category to place a GTY passenger into their chosen category of cabin.

We were on the Serenade of the Seas this past January and had an aft Grand Suite. We had chosen this particular cabin, because of rave reviews on the Royal Caribbean boards, but ...

It (for us) was a terrible choice. As soon as we got on the ship, we actually tried to get a different cabin. The location was very bad, because it wasn't near steps or elevators. We wanted to move, made it clear that downsizing was an option and would not expect any refund. This was impossible. So, downgrades and upgrades are equally difficult

Archived