Boston - Salem Witch Trials

Thing One

I'm so excited my friend and I are cruising next October for the New England Fall trip on Carnival Splendor. We will be in Boston for one day from 2PM to 10:PM Oct 5th. Does anyone have any advise on being able to go to Salem to see the Witch Trial stuff?

Info about the historical sites to visit and artifacts to see in Salem related to the witch trials:

http://www.salemweb.com/guide/witches.shtml

List of witch trials in North America. Although Salem and nearby towns had the most trials and the most executions, trials occurred in other colonies:

http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/witchtrial/na.html

I went last year, we had to buy a ticket to get a round trip trolley from our ship to town. Once dropped off we found the Salem Ferry located near the aquarium, across from Quincy Market. It runs every 2 hours back and forth, if you plan it with the ferry schedule you can do it. Just make sure your back at the Ferry in time to get back to your ship. When you get off the ferry in Salem walk out to the main street and turn left. You'll see that there is a red line painted on the side walks, if you follow it through town it will guide you to all of the points of interest regarding the which trials.

The Salem Ferry has a website with the address and schedules. Hope you do it and have fun. :D

You can see you would be able to get the ferry leaving for Salem at 5:30.(I don't think you could get off the ship and to the ferry by 2:30. Last ferry back to Boston is at 7 or 8, depending on day.

Check for extended October hours at the Witch Museum, the Witch History Museum, Cry Innocent, Witch Dungeon Museum, the NE Pirate Museum, Corwin House, House of 7 Gables, etc., Salem Maritime National Historic site, or one of the walking tours.

2013 Boston to Salem Fast Ferry Schedule

May 23 - October 31: Weekdays

Departs Salem - 7 AM, 10:30 AM, 1 PM, 4 PM, *7 PM & **8PM

Departs Boston - 9:30 AM, 11:30 AM, 2:30 PM, 5:30 PM, *8 PM & **9:00PM

*Monday - Thursday ONLY **Friday ONLY

May 23 - October 27: Weekends

Departs Salem - 8 AM, 10:30 AM, 1 PM, 4 PM, **7 PM, *8 PM

Departs Boston - 9:30 AM, 11:30 AM, 2:30 PM, 5:30 PM, **8 PM & *9 PM

*Saturday ONLY **Sunday ONLY

• 2 weeks later...
I'm so excited my friend and I are cruising next October for the New England Fall trip on Carnival Splendor. We will be in Boston for one day from 2PM to 10:PM Oct 5th. Does anyone have any advise on being able to go to Salem to see the Witch Trial stuff?

Salem is a very interesting city and has an excellent walking tour....lots of history.

Check the ferry schedule to see how you could arrange your time in Salem given your ship time in port and opening hours for Salem attractions.

I was extremely disappointed with the Salem Witch Museum. "Museum" is a stretch of the term. It's a series of a few "still" settings with narration that surround a room; viewers sit on wood benches, without backs, in the center of the room as each set is illuminated. It is very elementary; over priced; over rated....not geared for adults....I cast a thumbs down rating. After the short "show" exhibit, the exit is directly into the gift shop.

I suggest contacting the Salem visitors' office, by phone if possible, before making the trip from Boston. Get specific info. on what events will be taking place on the day of your visit, and what is available, on an adult level, pertaining to the witch trials.

There is also our Halloween celebrations during October.

http://www.hauntedhappenings.org/

I work in Boston during the week and my commute takes between 35- 60 minutes to get home on most days. I leave Boston at 3 pm and take Rt 93 north to Rt 128 north.

http://www.mbta.com/rider_tools/trip_planner

Archived