Which to chose? Please help!

S&I2013

My Husband to be and I are booking a cruise to the Carribean for our honeymoon in November of this year. We have two options. Please help us choose. We have never been on a cruise and have never been to the Carribean so we would really appreciate some help. We are really excited about this trip and just want to pick the best option.

Option 1: Celebrity Summit: San Juan PR, St. Croix U.S.V.I, Basseterre St. Kitts, Roseau Dominica, St. George's Grenada, Charlotte Amalie St. Thomas, San Juan PR

Option 2: RC Jewel of the Sea: San Juan PR, St. Thomas U.S.V.I, St. Croix U.S.V.I, St. John's Antigua, Fort de France Martinique, Castries, St. Lucia, San Juan PR

We would like advice on which of the above itineraries would be the best of the two. We would like to know which ship provides the best food, good entertainment and a bit of luxury.

We would really appreciate the advice of others who have travelled on either of these ships to these destinations.

We haven't sailed Celebrity, but I think you're pretty much comparing apples to apples for the cruises in general. Have heard that Celebrity's food may be a little better overall and a bit more "luxury". We've been to all the islands except Martinique and Grenada. The rest are all nice ports!:)

We just got off Brilliance of the Seas out of San Juan and it was great - a sister ship of Jewel. We booked Jewel for next year, same itin you're looking at:D

I am sailing option #2 March of next year. I have never sailed on Royal or Celebrity but I have been to a few of the stops listed on both options. I was looking at choosing Celebrity but my cruising buddy looked up the stats and they seem to have an older crowd. There's nothing wrong with that but I am not that age so I would prefer to cruise with some people who are closer to my age. Also recently a second Celebrity Cruise ship did not pass some sort of health inspection regarding food handling so you may want to look that up.

Option #1:

I thought St. Kitts was okay. I wasn't super impressed but I have been to quite a few parts of the Caribbean so I may be hard to impress. I have never been to the Grenada or Dominica but they are supposed to be great so that is a bonus for option #1. St. Thomas is beautiful, touristy and has tons of shopping but both cruises have that port.

Option #2

I loved St. Lucia! I would suggest taking a tour by boat to the beach that lays between the Pitons (Anse Des Pitons). It is a beach that was once part of the Jalousie Plantation but is now called Sugar Beach. It is gorgeous and if I had been there with my boyfriend it would have been utterly romantic & peaceful. On the way there or on the return they will most likely cruise by Marigot Bay, which is beautiful and full of some very impressive yachts & homes. St. Lucia also has a "drive through volcano", sulfur mud baths to bathe in, a color changing waterfall as well as the Louis XVI mineral baths. I think the sulfur mud baths were on The Bachelor a year or 2 ago. I skipped the mud baths because they sounded pretty smelly and I wanted to snorkel between the Pitons. There are tours that combine both though.

Martinique has white & black sand beaches as well as a volcano. It is the Island of Flowers and has many hiking trails and gardens to see. It is the French West Indies so if you enjoy French culture then you will probably like it. I am planning on getting an excellent French or Creole lunch while there and shopping for some French fashion & perfumes. Euro is the currency & French is the language so if that is an obstacle for you that may be of consideration. I am personally really looking forward to being immersed in a mix of Caribbean & French culture! I think this could be a romantic stop as well though in the city of Fort-de-France I understand it can get a bit hot.

I have not been to St. Croix or St. John's but they are supposed to be quite beautiful. St. Croix apparently has the largest Caribbean reef if you are interested in trying snorkeling or diving. It also has Dutch architecture to see. St. John is supposed to have spectacular beaches!

I hope this has been helpful and that someone who has been to Grenada and Dominica will post to help you decide! Congratulations on your marriage and have a wonderful honeymoon! Both really are great options & you will surely love the Caribbean! :)

Thank you so much for your help. It has been great. We will take all that information into account. We really are super excited about it. Enjoy your up coming cruises B-)

Thank you S&I2013! I'm very happy I could help! :)

• 6 months later...

I have been to both Grenada (Gre-nay-da) and Dominica (Dom-i-nee-ka). We did a Kayak river-to-ocean in Dominica privately, which was great, but you need strong arms on the ocean, sorry I'm blank right now about what we did in Grenada, but my son did zip-lining with his friends. If I think of it later, I will post what we did there.

Archived