Renting a Boat - Somerset or H2O

js

Hi.

We want to rent a boat for the 6 of us while we are in Bermuda in August.

Both Somerset and H20 look to be reputable and get good reviews.

Have you rented for one or both and why did you end up choising one over the other.

I'd like to reserve our boat since I want to be specific of the date/time and get what we want.

We are on the Breakaway and docking at the Dockyard but don't mind a longer ride for a better product.

Thanks SO much!

Edited by js

To throw a bit of a wrench into the conversation, I am actually partial to Aquatic Bermuda, and renting a "BeachCat". We have done it a few times, and I love motoring out through Hamilton Harbour, along the Paget and Warwick shore out to the Paradise Lake area and checking out all the small islands and little coves and beaches. Then heading over to sail under Watford bridge out to the west side and the wreck of the Vixen. Lots of fish and coral over there, as well as lovely views of the island and secluded areas. I think they are the best value, and you tend to see a little more of the island, starting in Hamilton. You need to take the ferry into town, but that is great as you can easily pick up supplies, drinks, food for the day.

P1010171.JPG

Paradise-Lakes-Bermuda-view.jpg

http://www.aquaticbermuda.com/boat_rentals.htm

To throw a bit of a wrench into the conversation, I am actually partial to Aquatic Bermuda, and renting a "BeachCat". We have done it a few times, and I love motoring out through Hamilton Harbour, along the Paget and Warwick shore out to the Paradise Lake area and checking out all the small islands and little coves and beaches. Then heading over to sail under Watford bridge out to the west side and the wreck of the Vixen. Lots of fish and coral over there, as well as lovely views of the island and secluded areas. I think they are the best value, and you tend to see a little more of the island, starting in Hamilton. You need to take the ferry into town, but that is great as you can easily pick up supplies, drinks, food for the day.

P1010171.JPG

Paradise-Lakes-Bermuda-view.jpg

http://www.aquaticbermuda.com/boat_rentals.htm

Interesting. Thank you.

Do you work/own them?

Nope, just a satisfied customer. We own a fractional condo share on the island, so I am there multiple times every year. As a family I think we have rented from Aquatic Bermuda four times, plus doing the Coral Reefer trip once.

Edited by modelman

We rented from Somerset last June. I had never operated a boat before. They gave great instructions and information about the area. I can't wait to get back and do it again.

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

We rented both a Boston Whaler and a pontoon boat from Somerset Water Sports last July. We had fourteen people in our group. I would recommend the Pontoon Boat because the Boston Whaler that was rated to carry 6 people was really too small for that number of people. The owners were great with instructions and even a cell phone if we had any trouble on our adventure. The party before ours came in late and the owners did not start our rental time until we actually were ready to leave which was about a half an hour late. They gave us instructions on locations to find beaches to swim at and maps to show us our way around. Our Grandsons rented fishing equipment from them and they gave them bait along with the poles. It was a great afternoon. If you take the bus to Somerset, have the driver let you off the bus after you cross the Somerset Bridge. There is a side walk to use to get back to the road that Somerset Water Sports is on. If you get off before the bridge, you have to walk in the roadway which is very scary in Bermuda.

We rented from Somerset last June. I had never operated a boat before. They gave great instructions and information about the area. I can't wait to get back and do it again.

We rented both a Boston Whaler and a pontoon boat from Somerset Water Sports last July. We had fourteen people in our group. I would recommend the Pontoon Boat because the Boston Whaler that was rated to carry 6 people was really too small for that number of people. The owners were great with instructions and even a cell phone if we had any trouble on our adventure. The party before ours came in late and the owners did not start our rental time until we actually were ready to leave which was about a half an hour late. They gave us instructions on locations to find beaches to swim at and maps to show us our way around. Our Grandsons rented fishing equipment from them and they gave them bait along with the poles. It was a great afternoon. If you take the bus to Somerset, have the driver let you off the bus after you cross the Somerset Bridge. There is a side walk to use to get back to the road that Somerset Water Sports is on. If you get off before the bridge, you have to walk in the roadway which is very scary in Bermuda.

Thank you both very much.

I talked to my dh and we are going to to rent the pontoon boat for the six of us for the full day from Somerset. We will not likely take the bus but a cab. Is it very far from the Dockyard?

My dh and ds-16 like to fish so it will be great for my ds to rent the fishing equipment. Did you find "private" islands where you could swim/snorkel? Also, did you bring food/drink on the boat with you? Being out all day, I am thinking we can have a cab drop us off prior to getting to Somerset and purchasing food/drink to bring on the boat with us during the day.

I look forward to hearing more about your day if you don't mind. Did you rent for 4 hours or the full day?

Nope, just a satisfied customer. We own a fractional condo share on the island, so I am there multiple times every year. As a family I think we have rented from Aquatic Bermuda four times, plus doing the Coral Reefer trip once.

Thank you very much. Always great to hear first-hand experience.

I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.

The reason I asked is that you posted the same pictures that are posted on their website.

Thanks again.

We did the four hour rental and had a great time. I had forgotten about the lack of sidewalks in the front of the shop. I can't figure out how to post a YouTube video but if you search for glennd3gl you'll find a couple of videos from our boat ride.

We rented the pontoon boat for the four hour time period. There is a small store right next to the Somerset Dock. They have snacks and soft drinks. You can also get sandwiches and drinks at the Drug Store at the Dockyard. They have a nice area in the back of the store to buy any eats you might want to take with you. We rented on Sunday and there is no beer sold in Bermuda on Sunday but the Somerset owners managed to get a couple of six packs of beer for our guys at a price. We stopped at a small beach that they pointed out to us and we were almost the only people there. Some of the other places were pretty busy but again it was a Sunday afternoon. The ride on the bus was not very far, I would guess about 15 minutes or so. The pontoon boat has a nice ladder on the backend that makes it easy to get on and off the boat. You will be glad you went for the pontoon boat. It gives you more room to move around and relax.

We returned to the dock by going under the drawbridge at Somerset. That was fun to do.

We rented the pontoon boat for the four hour time period. There is a small store right next to the Somerset Dock. They have snacks and soft drinks. You can also get sandwiches and drinks at the Drug Store at the Dockyard. They have a nice area in the back of the store to buy any eats you might want to take with you. We rented on Sunday and there is no beer sold in Bermuda on Sunday but the Somerset owners managed to get a couple of six packs of beer for our guys at a price. We stopped at a small beach that they pointed out to us and we were almost the only people there. Some of the other places were pretty busy but again it was a Sunday afternoon. The ride on the bus was not very far, I would guess about 15 minutes or so. The pontoon boat has a nice ladder on the backend that makes it easy to get on and off the boat. You will be glad you went for the pontoon boat. It gives you more room to move around and relax.

We returned to the dock by going under the drawbridge at Somerset. That was fun to do.

Perfect!

Thank you.

We plan on using the boat for the full day. I appreciate the time you took to give me the information.

gggrrrr....just went to book the Pontoon boat but it doesn't give me the Pontoon Boat in the drop down menu. Could it be booked?

I also wanted to find out about 6 hours to rent, not 8, which is an option but no price.

Hope I get an answer from e-mail sooner rather than later.

Thank you all.

We had email contact with Somerset Water Sports several times before our arrival. It is a little early in their season right now, so give them a couple of days to return your email answer. I think their phone number is listed on their website. You could also try that but as I mentioned, they may not be open every day this early in the season. Check the cruise ship schedule and try reaching them when there is a ship in port. You might catch them in the shop.

One more thing. I don't think the pontoon boat was listed on their rental form when we rented it either. Since they only have one pontoon boat, I would check as soon as possible. Give your email a chance. They were very good at getting back to me in a timely fashion.

Thanks. Wasn't aware only one pontoon boat. I would have called last week. They have not gotten back to me which leaves me somewhat annoyed since their website says they open mid March. Ill call on Monday when I go back to work. Thanks so much for letting me know about the boat. I really appreciate it.

One more thing. I don't think the pontoon boat was listed on their rental form when we rented it either. Since they only have one pontoon boat, I would check as soon as possible. Give your email a chance. They were very good at getting back to me in a timely fashion.

Flowers, THANK YOU! I called Somerset today to reserve the Pontoon boat for August 14 for the full day. Once you mentioned they only had one boat, I wanted to make sure I called and got our reservation in place. Thank you very much for giving me this information since I'm not sure if I would have been so quick to call (although I still have not received any e-mails back yet). Either way, I spoke with someone and they have taken my reservation and credit card number if we don't show.

Thanks so much again and thank you all that have responded.

Always glad to be of some help. Glad you got the pontoon boat. I know you will be so much happier with that than one of the Boston Whalers. I was really glad we had it as part of our rental package. Enjoy your day in Bermuda sailing your very own boat around the beautiful beaches. Remember your sunscreen!!!!!!

We are thinking of renting a boat while we are in Bermuda too. It will be my husband, myself and our 3 kids (12, 8, 5). Does the whalers have a ladder to get in and out of the water or just the pontoons? We will be fishing, snorkeling and exploring. I was thinking of renting for 6 hours but now I'm afraid that wouldn't be long enough. This sounds awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Whalers do not have a ladder to get in and out of the water. They are very small and don't ride out of the water very far. I would think your group would be much more comfortable on the pontoon boat. I wish I could figure out how to attach a picture to this post but I have not figured that out yet. I have some pictures of the Whaler showing how close to the water line the edge of the boat is but can't get them to attach to this post.

The Whalers do not have a ladder to get in and out of the water. They are very small and don't ride out of the water very far. I would think your group would be much more comfortable on the pontoon boat. I wish I could figure out how to attach a picture to this post but I have not figured that out yet. I have some pictures of the Whaler showing how close to the water line the edge of the boat is but can't get them to attach to this post.

I think we would be more comfortable on a pontoon too but then I look at the prices and I like the whaler better! Decisions...decisions! I know we are definitely going to rent a boat though (so that is one decision done...lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app