Disney wifi

amscene1

Well, 2 years ago on the Magic we found it to be pretty good. It was much improved from 5 or 6 years ago!

Prices are easily found on the DCL web site or cruiseline blog. Here is one such site. The DCL page does indicate that prices are subject to change without notice.

disneycruiselineblog.com/.../disney-cruise-line-internet-packages-changing-to-data-pack...

Also, remember the 50mb free if you sign up before midnight on embarkation day. This should give you enough to try the speed and purchase only if you wish to do so. And most ports have several locations with free or inexpensive wifi available.

Well' date=' 2 years ago on the Magic we found it to be pretty good. It was much improved from 5 or 6 years ago!

Prices are easily found on the DCL web site or cruiseline blog. Here is one such site. The DCL page does indicate that prices are subject to change without notice.

disneycruiselineblog.com/.../disney-cruise-line-internet-packages-changing-to-data-pack...

Also, remember the 50mb free if you sign up before midnight on embarkation day. This should give you enough to try the speed and purchase only if you wish to do so. And most ports have several locations with free or inexpensive wifi available.[/quote']

Where was the Wonder cruise? The died will vary based on location. Closer to the poles should have faster speed compared to the equator area due to the satelits usually have polar orbits.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Edited by ArthurUSCG

Half of the reason we went on a cruise for our honeymoon was to disconnect from everything... we signed up for the free 50 Mb in case we needed it (our dog was boarded back in MA)... otherwise, we just connected to the wifi to msg each other using the Disney app, or the wave phones

Addmitably though, I left my phone in the room, while the wife brought it to port to take pictures...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wish DCL would get a service like RCCL's Voom internet service. Having an unlimited usage and service fast enough to stream video makes DCL's internet look like using a 2400bps dial up modem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I wish DCL would get a service like RCCL's Voom internet service. Having an unlimited usage and service fast enough to stream video makes DCL's internet look like using a 2400bps dial up modem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Once upon a time (it ended in 2005), DCL had an unlimited package. It was discontinued when they caught people on line forming groups specifically to share a single unlimited plan. Dose of reality, internet at that time was terribly slow and costly.

Just looking at things objectively, and sitting on the fence, it is likely DCL would have to pay for the infrastructure upgrade to the dishes and ships internal I.T systems to cope with a higher bandwidth comms system.

Is it really in their interest to do this? The more time Guests are occupying themselves with watching online content on their phone or tablet, they aren't ordering coffees or alcoholic beverages, they aren't spending money on Bingo, Mixology or tasting classes.

It may be worth the investment for those ships that need a draw to their Guests in order to book with them, and eventually DCL will have to stump up the money for the upgrades, but until then if your rooms were still being booked, would you?

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

More of an issue, RCCL has locked up bandwith on all the satellites supporting the tech and the next few to go up.

There literally isn't any upgrade option until 2019 unless they launch more high speed civilian capacity.

Just looking at things objectively, and sitting on the fence, it is likely DCL would have to pay for the infrastructure upgrade to the dishes and ships internal I.T systems to cope with a higher bandwidth comms system.

Is it really in their interest to do this? The more time Guests are occupying themselves with watching online content on their phone or tablet, they aren't ordering coffees or alcoholic beverages, they aren't spending money on Bingo, Mixology or tasting classes.

It may be worth the investment for those ships that need a draw to their Guests in order to book with them, and eventually DCL will have to stump up the money for the upgrades, but until then if your rooms were still being booked, would you?

ex techie

More of an issue, RCCL has locked up bandwith on all the satellites supporting the tech and the next few to go up.

There literally isn't any upgrade option until 2019 unless they launch more high speed civilian capacity.

I did not know that!

Do you have any links, as I would be interested in reading more about this! (Sorry geeking now!)

ex techie

Sorry no. It was on the RCCL forum here somewhere when they first announced it, someone referenced an article and some comments. But I can't find the thread easily.

Of course, things could have changed since then, but contracts like that tend to be pretty stable and RCCL would need the bandwith for newer ships like the Harmony.

I did not know that!

Do you have any links, as I would be interested in reading more about this! (Sorry geeking now!)

ex techie

Sorry no. It was on the RCCL forum here somewhere when they first announced it, someone referenced an article and some comments. But I can't find the thread easily.

Of course, things could have changed since then, but contracts like that tend to be pretty stable and RCCL would need the bandwith for newer ships like the Harmony.

Thanks anyway!

I love geeking out about stuff like that!

ex techie

I just blew through two $39.95 packages this past weekend on our three day cruise! I had no idea that just refreshing the front page of the New York Times would take up one whole package. Highway robbery!!

I bought my 20 year old a package for $89 on a 14 night cruise. She had almost half of it remaining at the end of the cruise. and was on line for several hours a day in some sort of chat with friends around the world. I'm not sure what her system way, but she said it was Skype without the video portion essentially.

You can get 50 mb free on day 1 which will allow you to see how far it will go and be sure that all the "stuff" is turned off on your device. After being told by CM in the internet cafe that all was turned off, daughter discovered use of 4mb while she was "doing nothing." She quickly found something that the CM had missed which was eating data.

I just tested, reloading a full graphics intensive NYT home page was 214K. Something else was eating the data...

I bought my 20 year old a package for $89 on a 14 night cruise. She had almost half of it remaining at the end of the cruise. and was on line for several hours a day in some sort of chat with friends around the world. I'm not sure what her system way' date=' but she said it was Skype without the video portion essentially.

You can get 50 mb free on day 1 which will allow you to see how far it will go and be sure that all the "stuff" is turned off on your device. After being told by CM in the internet cafe that all was turned off, daughter discovered use of 4mb while she was "doing nothing." She quickly found something that the CM had missed which was eating data.[/quote']