Dunns River Falls recommendations

OKCcruiser8

Hello,

I will be in Jamaica in April & I was wondering if anyone could help me out?

I've been reading on here where some people have mentioned taking a private tour to Dunns River Falls as opposed to a ship excursion. What would most recommend? Also, if a private tour is a better option, can anyone suggest a good company to use?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

what port do you arrive at?

If Ocho .... just take a taxi to DRF .... it is a 10 minute ride

if arriving at other than Ocho .... I'd do something else. DRF is fun but not worth an hour (or more) ride each way ....

Private tours are rarely the better option in Jamaica. Tourism is big business in Jamaica & many operators partner with the cruise lines & hotels to offer guests the best price. When I went looking last year, January of 2016, most private tours were at least double the cruise ship tours.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in the different options recarding Dunn's River Falls from Falmouth, too!

Usually we always DIY, but it seems like this time it would be better to go for a some kind of tour. The idea of a ship excursion where you have to walk hand in hand with your group does not, however, sound very appealing. It would be a lot nicer to experience the falls at your own pace. Even the RCCL ship excursion that's called Dunn's River Transfer, seems to include certain activities as a group and the climbing hand in hand.

Any recommendations on where to book only the transfer to the falls and back, so that you'd be completely free to explore the area on your own?

I second the Liberty Tours recommendation.........they were absolutely wonderful to work with and were very accommodating to what we wanted to do. We looked into three different companies and they responded quickest and were very easy to communicate with. Give them a try.

• 2 weeks later...

you enter the falls at the "top"

actually you enter in the middle of the total falls

and for the park climb you take stairs DOWN then climb back UP to the entry point / parking lot ....

in this picture you see stairs on the left ... this is the top of the park climb area .... as you see the falls continue UP but you are not allowed to climb up from here ....

drf2.jpg

We went last May from Falmouth we took a cab from inside the port it was $20 a person roundtrip can't remember the cost of the falls. We entered on the beach and climbed to the top. There is a trail that runs along the falls so you could walk up that way and not go in the water. You have to go in a tour up the falls for safety and trust me you want to hold hands to prevent falling. I really liked the falls and the tour guide was great.

Sent from my iPad using Forums