La Paz, Loreto, Guaymas & Topolobampo Tours?

CruiseWhere

I know this is a lot to ask, and yes I have tried searching, but does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for tours in any of these ports? We don't particularly care for the cruise ship tours and prefer the local ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are not into spending the day at a beach and would like to see the sights to be seen, must sees!

Thank you!!!

Edited by CruiseWhere

We did ship tours in those ports the first time, then just wandered and explored on our own the next times we visited. Loreto has tour operators. You can google -- there are lots of interesting sounding day trips there. La Paz, you can swim with the whale sharks and/or the sea lions if you want. Google that for the name of the operator. If your cruise is like ours were, you will dock in Pichilingue, a cargo port, to get to La Paz. We had complimentary shuttles each time from Pichilingue to La Paz.

Topo, hmmmm, what to say? Are you feeling adventurous? Apparently you can take a taxi from the port area to the town of Topo and rent a boat. This is one place I would suggest you stick with the herd, y'know? There was also a shuttle into Los Mochis (about 1/2 hour ride) where you could visit the Horticultural Gardens, or tour around the market area, or spend time enjoying the central park area.

Guaymas, we had a shuttle from the tourism village at the dock to downtown Guaymas. There are some kayak tour operators in San Carlos who offer day trips. We felt very safe and very welcome in Guaymas (which doesn't answer your "who to tour with" question.....) I honestly could not find any tour operators in Guaymas. The local school bands come to the dock to play, there are dancers, the police are constantly watching out for the cruisers, English-speaking people where shirts saying "May I help you?" and watch out for the tourists, too :D There's a stage set up on the malecon that has musicians and dancers. Some people HATED Guaymas, some of us LOVED it :)

Loreto and La Paz got nailed by yesterday's hurricane :(

I'll check back and see if any of this is of any help to you, and if you have other questions I might be able to answer.

La Paz, folks do the nice beach a few miles east (away from town, the cruise ship ports a mile+ east of town) or take a boat tour to see the whale sharks. There are also other popular boat tours. Land tours are not so popular, as La Paz is a sandy desert area with a limited historical past. The cruisers that walk the La Paz downtown area find a hot and dull adventure. The last time we ported in La Paz, we rented a car and toured around the region.

Edited by bobnsofi

Been to La Paz twice. Once we did a tour to a ceramicist, glassworks and weavers. Then are lunch in town. The other time Sis and I snorkeled with whale sharks. Mom took the bus into town, checked out the church and walked around a bit.

We walked around Loreto. Hopefully Canipole(sp) will be back in business when we return in January. Homemade food, cooked over mesquite.

Haven't been there but the big tour in Topolabampo is the train thru Copper Canyon.

Edited by SadieN

Thank you ALL for your responses and recommendations! Cow Princess I think we'll be doing a whole lot of walking by the sounds of it. We so very much look forward to the beautiful hues of the water and the seeing the sea life that the sea of cortez has to offer. We certainly would feel much safer sticking with the herds, hence I mentioned to our roll call that I would try and do some research (for a group thing).

It sounds like from what everyone has mentioned that the water activities are the things to be done and to see!

I did trip reports on a couple of our Sea of Cortez cruises, mainly about the ports. Will try to find them and give you a link.

One thing of note -- the last time in La Paz, the complimentary shuttles did NOT go to the incredibly beautiful remote-ish beach, they went to a tourist place :(

Keep watching the "Cabo" thread on the HAL board for damage updates. Topo should be fine, as should Guaymas. But Loreto and La Paz were in the direct path of the hurricane.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, for finding your report and sharing your wealth of knowledge. It truly is appreciated. It looks like we'll end walking the ports, we both love walking and discovering sights on our own, or shuttling to town as opposed to any of the excursions. Lets just hope that Loreto, La Paz and Guaymas are not suffering too much damage from the hurricane and that all are safe.

Guaymas was not in the direct path of Odile, so shouldn't have too much damage (except maybe storm surge????)

In Topo, one trip, another woman and I stood on the Promenade Deck watching dolphins cavort for at least 1 1/2 hours. Our respective travelling companions were ready to send out a search party, I think :D One of my best memories of that trip.

The Mercado in Los Mochis was very interesting. In Los Mochis, we did not meet many people who spoke English. When we went to the Mercado is Guaymas the first time, the "May we help you?" people tried their darndest to get us back to the malecon, the "tourist" places.

A warning: In La Paz and Los Mochis we saw no street dogs. In Loreto, we saw dogs walking around on their own, but they appeared to be cared-for and fed. In Guaymas, sadly, we did see some street dogs :(

You are welcome for any help I've provided. It is very difficult to find info on those places, I know :D

They have just replaced Topolobampo with Mazatlan:confused:

So no Copper Canyon tour this year either. I think this change was made last year too. Last year there were some reports of violence (can't remember the details, but it was associated with the area the train transits, IIRC) Sorry you are going to miss Topo/area :(

Stone Island in Mazatlan is great. No herds, though ;) We had the best shrimp and onion rings EVER on Stone Island. You're on HAL, right? HAL offers a shorex to Stone Island for about $74/person, bus trip to the island, ride in a truck (or something), and cavort on the beach. Not sure if food is included.

We took the water taxi to Stone Island, walked along the beach, found Victor's, ate shrimp and EXTRA onion rings ;) and drank bottled water under a palapa. I think the water taxi was 40 or 60 pesos each, round trip, and I'm certain we didn't spend more than 200 pesos at Victor's. For the best shrimp and onion rings EVER :D Some wandering vendors and some wandering musicians.

If that is of interest, let me know and I can give you more info. You need to have pretty good mobility to get into and out of the water taxis.

We love Stone Island (just in case you can't tell :) )

Mazatlan has lots to offer. History, shopping, food, activities.... it will be fine. It may be more appealing than Topolobampo to many people. I like 'em both. Very different, but both interesting, y'know?

I saw your post on the HAL board. I call BS on the "overcrowded port" or whatever they told you ;)

edited to add: On Stone Island I bought a silver ring from a wandering vendor and EVERY time I wear it, I get tons of compliments....

Edited by CowPrincess