Drive around island or go to Buck Island?

mlbcruiser

If you have been to St. Croix and many other islands in the Caribbean to compare it to, please help!

This will be our first time in St. Croix, although we have visited many other caribbean islands, many several times. We have lots of experience driving on the left and have snorkeled many times, from the caribbean to Hawaii and French Polynesia. We'll be doing a couple of full day boating/snorkeling trips during this cruise itinerary and we usually love doing those. Still, we hate to miss Buck Is. if it's really a must-see. (?)

If we rent a car to drive around instead, I'm guessing we would just stop at a pretty beach or two (maybe snorkel if there are some good locations?), get a general look at the island and Christianstead, have lunch somewhere, and maybe drive to the rain forest if we can fit all that in. (I know nothing about the rain forest on St. Croix but should do a bit of research. Is it anything like El Yunque in Puerto Rico?).

If it was YOUR first time in St. Croix, which would you choose?

Thanks for any input.

If you have been to St. Croix and many other islands in the Caribbean to compare it to, please help!

This will be our first time in St. Croix, although we have visited many other caribbean islands, many several times. We have lots of experience driving on the left and have snorkeled many times, from the caribbean to Hawaii and French Polynesia. We'll be doing a couple of full day boating/snorkeling trips during this cruise itinerary and we usually love doing those. Still, we hate to miss Buck Is. if it's really a must-see. (?)

If we rent a car to drive around instead, I'm guessing we would just stop at a pretty beach or two (maybe snorkel if there are some good locations?), get a general look at the island and Christianstead, have lunch somewhere, and maybe drive to the rain forest if we can fit all that in. (I know nothing about the rain forest on St. Croix but should do a bit of research. Is it anything like El Yunque in Puerto Rico?).

Thanks for any input.

Have you checked out TripAdvisor? When visiting a new place, I like to look at the most highly rated things there, then select from the most popular based on our own preferences.

Be sure and report back on whatever you decide to do! Our likes coincide with yours so I'm interested in what you end up doing. This was our first cruise and I was a paranoid about getting back to the ship, so I was reluctant to rent a car and go on our own on any of the islands, although on land-based vacations we always do that.

Have fun!

Thanks for any input.

A trip to Buck Island is great (the beach is gorgeous) but if you are doing several boat trips already on your cruise, you can skip it. I think the 1/2 day Buck Island excursions are great if you enjoy sailing, some swimming and some good snorkeling.

The rain forest is probably not as extensive as El Yunque but it's pretty. And the Domino Club (with the beer-drinking pigs) is a hoot. But you can drive through the rainforest in a half an hour.

When are going to be on St. Croix? If it were me, I would rent a car, drive out to Point Udall using the South Shore Road, then drive back through the East End for lovely views. Stop at the Buccaneer resort for lunch at the Mermaid Beach and some beach time and then go back to the ship. The Buccaneer will close the gates if they are full up to capacity so that's why I ask when you are going.

If you are going to wander a bit around C'sted, plan to have lunch at Rumrunners on the boardwalk. A Jimmy Buffet type of place with killer Painkillers and lobster quesadillas. There is not a ton of shopping in C'sted and then most interesting (art, photography, gifts, furnishings, some clothing) is on Company Street.

We have been to STX 16 times but never on a cruise ship. And CarolSLC's advice to take a look at Tripadvisor is a good one. There is a great group of posters/experts there who will give you good ideas.

One other thought....we really enjoy the ATV tour on geckosislandadventure. And a Tan Tan tour is a blast!

Thanks to you both for the info!

Actually, I had looked on Tripadvisor before I ever made this post. (I have used that site heavily for yrs. and it's terrific. However, sometimes I have found asking other CRUISERS for their input works well, too, since they are under certain time constraints and have often been to similar islands a lot, so they can sometimes shed light from a cruiser's view. Oddly enough, Rumrunners IS a place we'll be sure to stop because it's been mentioned by so many people, lol!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Haven't yet made a decision yet but at least am getting a few things to go on.