Bullet train query Osaka to Kyoto

PrincessRobbo

We arrive in Osaka at 19.30pm on Azamara Quest, for an overnight stop. We will be in Kyota all the following day.

Would it be possible for us on the night we arrive to take a taxi to the railway station, take the bullet train to Kyoto and back to Osaka. I know this isn't ideal but it's the only opportunity we have and my husband would very much like to travel on the train. Any advice on travelling times and costs would be most welcome.

Lynda

We arrive in Osaka at 19.30pm on Azamara Quest, for an overnight stop. We will be in Kyota all the following day.

Would it be possible for us on the night we arrive to take a taxi to the railway station, take the bullet train to Kyoto and back to Osaka. I know this isn't ideal but it's the only opportunity we have and my husband would very much like to travel on the train. Any advice on travelling times and costs would be most welcome.

Lynda

Not much of a train ride. It is only 27 miles (and about 14 minutes) from Osaka to Kyoto, so the train would just get going and you would be there. The Nozomi train is the fastest, but also the most expensive. The Hakari train is almost as fast, makes more stops, but is eligible for the Japan Rail pass (the Nozomi is not) which cuts the cost considerably. One day rail pass per person will be about $40.00 for a limited pass (just the immediate area). A RT on the Nozomi train (300 KMP) from Kyoto to Tokyo (which is a great ride) is about $125.00pp for Green Car service.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/

I do not think you will be able to do this on the evening you arrive.I am on Crystal Symphony with an overnight in Osaka and have been informed by Crystal that Customs & Immigration take a very long time on arrival.

By taxi from the port to the station takes approx half an hour.Train journey takes 14 minutes and costs unreserved seat each way £10 UK per person.

Times Shinosaka to Kyoto

21:00-21:14,21:03-21:18,21:20-21:33,21:33-21:48,22:00-22:14,22:03-22:18,22:30-22:14

Times Kyoto to Shinosaka

21:22-21:36,21:29-21:43,21:52-22:06,22:13-22:26,22:16-22:30,22:22-22:36,22:29-22:43,22:49-23:03,22:57-23:10,23:09-23:23,23:19-23:33,23:32-23:45

Hope this helps and the best of luck.:confused:

You are right about Japanese immigration. We were there in October last year and everyone had to be eye and finger scannedbefore the ship is cleared. \Travelling from Osaka Port to the train station could also take some time. Realise that Osaka is the third largest city in Japan after Tokyo and Yokohama and distances and traffic are very misleading if one is looking at a map.

You are right about Japanese immigration. We were there in October last year and everyone had to be eye and finger scannedbefore the ship is cleared. \Travelling from Osaka Port to the train station could also take some time. Realise that Osaka is the third largest city in Japan after Tokyo and Yokohama and distances and traffic are very misleading if one is looking at a map.

Can you give me any indication of how long it may take...I need to meet up with our guide in Kyoto and am not sure how long to estimate. We are berthing at 8.00am and thinking of taking the train in...is that a good plan..any info would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...
Not much of a train ride. It is only 27 miles (and about 14 minutes) from Osaka to Kyoto, so the train would just get going and you would be there. The Nozomi train is the fastest, but also the most expensive. The Hakari train is almost as fast, makes more stops, but is eligible for the Japan Rail pass (the Nozomi is not) which cuts the cost considerably. One day rail pass per person will be about $40.00 for a limited pass (just the immediate area). A RT on the Nozomi train (300 KMP) from Kyoto to Tokyo (which is a great ride) is about $125.00pp for Green Car service.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/

Thanks for the info.

I would walk to the closest metro stop (about five minutes) and take the metro to the train station. That is our plan anyway when we visit next year.