Emerald Princess Baltic Cruise

168_nemo

Booked in on the Emerald Princess Baltic Cruise on the 28 June 2014. Single traveller...Wondered if there were any G men travelling and would like to meet.

Thanks!

Edited by 168_nemo

There's a separate section for roll calls on this page; check it out. There will be an LGBT get-together announced in the Patter. And a number of us are avoiding St. Petersburg, though whether that will affect queer turnout on your cruise, I have no idea.

We were in St Petersburg before the anti-gay laws swept the nation. Even from a hospitality point of view, it is not the prize it is marketed as. Consider staying on the boat.

(The border agent snapped that I put my passport and visa on the counter at the same time when she wanted only one.)

We were in St Petersburg before the anti-gay laws swept the nation. Even from a hospitality point of view, it is not the prize it is marketed as. Consider staying on the boat.

(The border agent snapped that I put my passport and visa on the counter at the same time when she wanted only one.)

Is it that bad?

168Nemo-- This particular cruise gives one a chance to visit some wonderful cities around the Baltic, at a cost much cheaper than doing an independent journey through the region. If the idea of going ashore in St Petersburg bothers you, by all means stay aboard. It would be a shame to miss the other great stops. There of often minor problems in travel but I just shrug it off and chalk it up to just another experience. See you aboard!!

Is it that bad?

I can not say how bad it is to be Gay there now. However, there have been arrests for showing Pride colours. It is illegal to even advocate for equal rights so even an ally is vulnerable for speaking out. Certainly would not think of holding hands with my man.

As to the hospitality, the big tourist attractions are swamped with people and so you get big crowds. The guides give you MANY DIRECT warning of pick pockets. Don't worry too much about getting into a bad neighbourhood as you can not go anywhere without an approved guide.

Summary is that I do not look back on it as the best part of that trip and we have zero interest in every going back. I guess if it changed DRASTICALLY but no hint of that right now.

Later,

M

Visiting St. Petersburg was the topic of a very contentious thread here some time back, me being an admirer of the place. I still maintain that what homophobia exists in Russia pales in comparison to the Caribbean. I see nothing here that is very accurate in response to your post, OP, and would just suggest that you peruse the St. Petersburg and Baltic boards which unfortunately won't offer gay advice. To stay on the ship in St. Petersburg would be denying yourself a wonderful travel experience of a great world city.

Edited by jamessemaj

Visiting St. Petersburg was the topic of a very contentious thread here some time back, me being an admirer of the place. I still maintain that what homophobia exists in Russia pales in comparison to the Caribbean. I see nothing here that is very accurate in response to your post, OP, and would just suggest that you peruse the St. Petersburg and Baltic boards which unfortunately won't offer gay advice. To stay on the ship in St. Petersburg would be denying yourself a wonderful travel experience of a great world city.

Perhaps. It would also deny them my coins.

EdmPair-if only that was true, your boycotting would make sense. However, if you do not sail and visit St Petersburg, it does not mean that one less person visits and spends money in Russia. That cabin you would have occupied will not be empty, someone else would be occupying it. And, they might drop more money in Russia than you would have-perhaps it you wanted to make a difference you should have sailed!!