2015 Alaska -finally a kidless trip!

klr6773

Hello everyone!

My wife and I are finally biting the bullet and planning a "Moms only" vacation! Between our DP ceremony six years ago and our recent "official marriage" ,we never had a honeymoon...

Budgeting will be tight,but not ridiculous. Looking to buy a home in the next two years,so we want to just be able to spend a week kidless. Decided on Alaska next summer,either July or August. I've narrowed down to round trips from either Seattle or Vancouver,as both are pretty easy to get to from here in OR without flying. Yes,I know we won't "see as much" but I think it's just so exciting to have alone time, we aren't going to get caught up in what we are missing! Can always do it again eventually..

In the past,we've done 2 family Disney cruises and I have done 2 RCI and 2 Celebrity. Always had ocean view or balconies ,but balcony not an option this time. Will consider IS for savings,knowing we won't be in there much and would rather have the savings for excursions. Looking at all lines this time,except HAL.

Anyone willing to give me some opinions? Will inside drive me nutty? I'm not a food snob,but does any line stand out over others? Have to say Celebrity's drink package is an attractive plus...willing to consider just about anything!

Hi there! We haven't cruised since 2006 and are planning one this winter but undecided as yet.... Having said that, I wanted to encourage you to research the cruise line/ship reviews to get an idea of what is out there and what appeals to you. Also, go to the cruise line web sites and sign up for emails and special pricing. I've been checking pricing off and on since this spring and have learned that the "wave" season is once of the best times to book a discounted cruise with a distant sail date. Another option would be to secure a "last minute" cruise. (since you are driving distance to embarkation ports.) Unsold cabins - especially inside cabins could be very affordable! Vacations to go has a "last minute" ticker that could be a useful tool to try a couple times a week to get an idea of what price drops you could expect.

There are some VERY experienced cruisers on this board and they can share a wealth of information! To help them advise you appropriately, add to your inquiry what your interests are. Will you gals be partying 'till the wee hours? Do you plan on being active all day - even on ship? Or is relaxing with a god book and a cocktail more to your liking?

You're off to a good start by mentioning that this is an adult only trip and a delayed honeymoon too!

btw, my wife and I were married in 2006, then registered as DPs on our anniversary in Jan 2013. Congratulations!!

Edited by MishelleMcc

Hubby and I have always found Princess to be laidback, queer friendly, and romantic. Plus, it and Holland are regarded, for whatever reasons, as the Alaska lines. On whatever summer Alaska sailing, there will be plenty of families, but - from what I've heard - lines like RCCL and NCL are considerably more family oriented than Princess. So if you want an escape from a child-centric environment, it might be a good choice.

We've always been fine with inside cabins, usually being elsewhere for most all of the day, and one thing to remember is that Alaska's weather is such that you might have ended up paying good money to sit on your balcony in the rain.

And since money is an issue, there are plenty of easy do-it-yourself Alaskan port adventures that will be as much fun as ship's excursions, and a lot cheaper.

There are some VERY experienced cruisers on this board and they can share a wealth of information! To help them advise you appropriately, add to your inquiry what your interests are. Will you gals be partying 'till the wee hours? Do you plan on being active all day - even on ship? Or is relaxing with a god book and a cocktail more to your liking?

You're off to a good start by mentioning that this is an adult only trip and a delayed honeymoon too!

btw, my wife and I were married in 2006, then registered as DPs on our anniversary in Jan 2013. Congratulations!!

Thanks for some great advice to start! I would say we are active and love outdoors,especially hiking. I am definitely not into club scene/dancing at all.( 20 years ago,lived in clubs..now,I'll take a drink on deck where I can hear the person next to me!) I do love a good book and can sit with a cup of coffee and watch the trail of a cruise ship for longer than is probably considered normal ;) To sum us up,one of our closest friends has referred to us as " the soccer moms" for years.

Very comfortable planning excursions on my own,as I've done that on past sailings with good success. We love to just walk and explore. HATE formal nights and will almost certainly skip any of those and do alternate dining those times. Not a food snob and can't imagine food being so bad on any line that we would live on fruit and crackers. Would live a ship that offers more than just the MDR and a buffet.

Both of Patty's sailings have been Disney,who certainly have a way of making you feel special. Told her Disney is out this time because of cost and I was happy on both RCI and Celebrity years ago.

Looking seriously at Princess- Ruby. ($2100 inside for two incl port and fees plus a 190 shipboard credit is a darn good deal to me). Carnival Valor with the French door inside staterooms is a neat option,though I've always had a bit of a block against Carnival. Will peruse HAL. Not sure why the fact that it caters to an older clientele worries me,since we are pretty boring,but I think I worry about being a"family" friendly line.

Lots of time to research,since I broke my heel and will be out of work for awhile!

Side note, funny,but many people call us " the face" of equality in Oregon,as two of our pics went out through the AP on May 19th.we were the third couple to get our license. Very neat experience!

Hubby and I have always found Princess to be laidback, queer friendly, and romantic. Plus, it and Holland are regarded, for whatever reasons, as the Alaska lines. On whatever summer Alaska sailing, there will be plenty of families, but - from what I've heard - lines like RCCL and NCL are considerably more family oriented than Princess. So if you want an escape from a child-centric environment, it might be a good choice.

We've always been fine with inside cabins, usually being elsewhere for most all of the day, and one thing to remember is that Alaska's weather is such that you might have ended up paying good money to sit on your balcony in the rain.

And since money is an issue, there are plenty of easy do-it-yourself Alaskan port adventures that will be as much fun as ship's excursions, and a lot cheaper.

Excellent thoughts and I thank you for sharing! This is my first time even considering inside staterooms,but the cost is definitely attractive. Without bringing our daughters,we don't have to worry about spending time in the stateroom having "down time" . As I stated above, Princess is leading my list right now!

• 6 months later...

Took the HAL Seattle RT as a multi-generational family in 2012 and found that renting a car to go to Mendenhall Glacier worked really well for us. Car rental is walking distance from the pier, and a one-day rental was much more cost effective, with more time at the glacier, than taking a shore excursion would be. Good luck, have a wonderful time!

We have done HAL to Alaska the last 2 summers, and loved it. Year 1 took Spouse's parents, so did OV since we were paying for 2 cabins. It was $1600/cabin plus 150 obc. RT out of Seattle in late September.

A year later we did it again, just the 2 of us, booked an OV for $1400, with $200 once. Offered an upgrade to verandah for $300 2 weeks prior to sail date. Took it.and surprised spouse on demarcation.

We were unsure about HAL before.we sailed them, but they are our 2nd favorite behind Disney. Average age was late 40s, I would guess. Lots of activities during the day, not.much after 11 pm, but that works.for.us.

We have also cruised Carnival & NCL.

Zero homophobia on HAL.

If you have a choice between Glacier Bay or the other glacier (major brain freeze) I would.choose Glacier. Park Ranger comes on ship and narrated in Glacier. So.cool!

We have sailed.out of Seattle & Vancouver. Oddly enough Seattle was much, much easier. Holland has a dedicated side to a pier vs sharing with Disney & Princess like in Vancouver. Ship actually left Vancouver 3 hours late because embarkation took so long.

Let me know if you want more info.