Athens HOHO bus tickets

MerlinsMum

Has anyone bought the HopOnHopOff bus tickets in Athens that include entries to museums etc?

If so what are they like and are they worth the money?

We had looked into a mini tour, but they don't cover where we want to go, (specificalloy the Arcaeology museum and Acropolis)

would we be able to use one of this tickets to get into the above?

Thanks

:D

Has anyone bought the HopOnHopOff bus tickets in Athens that include entries to museums etc?

If so what are they like and are they worth the money?

We had looked into a mini tour, but they don't cover where we want to go, (specificalloy the Arcaeology museum and Acropolis)

would we be able to use one of this tickets to get into the above?

Thanks

:D

Have you looked at catching the X80 express bus from the port? It stops within walking distance of the Acropolis and Archeology Museum. You could then just pay for tickets at the entrance. It would be a lot cheaper. The museum is very impressive and has the benefit of air conditioning!

Have you looked at catching the X80 express bus from the port? It stops within walking distance of the Acropolis and Archeology Museum. You could then just pay for tickets at the entrance. It would be a lot cheaper. The museum is very impressive and has the benefit of air conditioning!

I didn't look into busses, as I wasn't sure if they'd be easy to catch and regular timetables.

But I will look into it, thank you.:)

The OP may be thinking of the National Archaeology Museum, not the Acropolis Museum. The NAM is not on the route of the X80 express bus. Just to clarify.

I didn't look into busses, as I wasn't sure if they'd be easy to catch and regular timetables.

But I will look into it, thank you.:)

The X80 express bus isn't a regular bus; it only runs from the cruise port to the historic center of Athens (two separate stops, one of which is very near the Acropolis). If you search on here or Google Athens x80 express you'll find a lot of info. It's probably the easiest way (other than a taxi) to get into Athens on your own.

Only warning is that the bus runs only during the tourist season. I believe it stops running around Nov. 1 each year.

The X80 express bus isn't a regular bus; it only runs from the cruise port to the historic center of Athens (two separate stops, one of which is very near the Acropolis). If you search on here or Google Athens x80 express you'll find a lot of info. It's probably the easiest way (other than a taxi) to get into Athens on your own.

Only warning is that the bus runs only during the tourist season. I believe it stops running around Nov. 1 each year.

You are correct as to which museum I was talking about. The Museum of Archaeology, not the Acropolis museum. I have read it takes at least three hours to get round, so know it's going to take up a big chunk of our one day visit. But it's gotten be done! Lol

We'll be there on September 5th, so hopefully the bus will still be running on that date.

Also discovered there are two terminals where our ship might dock, so will find out when we get there how far it will be to the bus stop.

I will see if I can get a time table for x80. As long as we're back on board ship by 17.00 I think it looks like a good plan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are correct as to which museum I was talking about. The Museum of Archaeology, not the Acropolis museum. I have read it takes at least three hours to get round, so know it's going to take up a big chunk of our one day visit. But it's gotten be done! Lol

We'll be there on September 5th, so hopefully the bus will still be running on that date.

Also discovered there are two terminals where our ship might dock, so will find out when we get there how far it will be to the bus stop.

I will see if I can get a time table for x80. As long as we're back on board ship by 17.00 I think it looks like a good plan.

My mistake.

However, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's done both museums for an opinion on which of the two is "better". The Acropolis Museum is very impressive.

My mistake.

However, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's done both museums for an opinion on which of the two is "better". The Acropolis Museum is very impressive.

I've done both (2x EACH!). It's not a matter of "better". They are different. The Acropolis Museum focuses solely on the Acropolis -- the excavations there, the temple that preceded the Classical Parthenon, and of course items from the Classical era buildings currently occupying it. It is new and very nicely done.

The National Archaeological Museum, as its name implies, includes findings from ALL of Greece, not just one hill in one city. Most of the best pieces that have been excavated in Greece (and that haven't ended up in other countries' museums) are found here. There is quite a large display of the findings from Mycenae, including the famous co-called "Mask of Agamemnon" and lots of gold. There are beautiful displays of statuary and pottery from all eras of Greece's ancient history. Also things from the Roman era.

Some favorites of mine include the bronze figure of Poseidon (or possibly Zeus) from the Artemisian shipwreck; the Antikythera mechanism (an ancient analog computer to determine alignment of planets); the small (ancient) replica of the Athena Parthenon, which is relatively rare, the bronze of the Jockey of Artemision, and the wonderful Aphrodite and Pan from Delos. (As well as the collection of very entertaining drinking vessels called rhytons in all shapes, including animals.)

The museum isn't modern but it is still nicely laid out much like many large but older museums (the Louvre, the British Museum).

Ideally, both should be visited.

I have tried to get the timetable for the x80 but the page comes up as an error, so whether that means there's no more x80 or not, I don't know.

Getting the HOHO bus will give us more to see, we may even stay on the bus the whole route and see where it goes. Although we still have to get to the actual stop where we can get on it. Which is in Athens town centre, so we still need transport to get there... The search still goes on.....and 5 days to do it...

I have tried to get the timetable for the x80 but the page comes up as an error, so whether that means there's no more x80 or not, I don't know.

Getting the HOHO bus will give us more to see, we may even stay on the bus the whole route and see where it goes. Although we still have to get to the actual stop where we can get on it. Which is in Athens town centre, so we still need transport to get there... The search still goes on.....and 5 days to do it...

Not sure if this will help, but we are on Reflection in mid September and will probably be doing HOHO as well. We are looking at the hoho from viator and the pickup is from Athens cruise port, so no need to worry about getting to town.

I'm thinking this is good way to do it. Hope this helps. Enjoy.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Athens/Athens-Shore-Excursion-City-Sightseeing-Athens-and-Piraeus-Hop-On-Hop-Off-Tour/d496-2916ATHENSPRT

Hi yes I saw this too, but it seems to be a completely different bus.

If we can get the ticket for that one, and use it on the Athens HOHO it would be grand.

You're right. It is a different bus. However, you can buy a combined ticket and swap from one to the other:

http://e-ticket.citysightseeing.gr/cruises/athens-and-piraeus-line-cruise/

The Piraeus line follows a similar route to the X80 and takes a similar time, with the advantage of an audio commentary.

Not sure if this will help, but we are on Reflection in mid September and will probably be doing HOHO as well. We are looking at the hoho from viator and the pickup is from Athens cruise port, so no need to worry about getting to town.

I'm thinking this is good way to do it. Hope this helps. Enjoy.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Athens/Athens-Shore-Excursion-City-Sightseeing-Athens-and-Piraeus-Hop-On-Hop-Off-Tour/d496-2916ATHENSPRT

I believe the X80 bus runs until November 1st. Viator also has Sights of Athens hop on/off bus at 1/2 the price of City Sightseeing. The routes are the same.

Dave

I believe the X80 bus runs until November 1st. Viator also has Sights of Athens hop on/off bus at 1/2 the price of City Sightseeing. The routes are the same.

Dave

I am presuming all the buses will stop at the major places of interest.

I think I will wait and see what the differences are between the tour companies, and go for the one that suits us best. having limited time in ports, i want to try get to see as much on my list of to do's as possible lol